Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by sketch
GizmoGuy411 wrote:
sketch wrote:Have you tried "Thwy" yet? That's how it's abbreviated up on the exit signs up in Baton Rouge.
CBenson suggested that some time ago, however it has not been tested yet.

Don't you or jasonh300 ever get a chance to hear it?

At the rate that our map tiles are getting updated, I could drive down to Baton Rouge and learn the results faster!
Haha, probably! I don't get to Baton Rouge much, and I don't think Jason does either, to be honest. I may or may not be heading that way tomorrow, so I'll check it if I have a minute.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
I feel it's probably best that "St" returns "saint" if it's at the beginning.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I thought we decided long(er) ago that differentiation should be with the period or without. Positional should make no difference. St=street, St.=saint, Dr=drive, Dr.=Drive, etc. Why make it more complicated?
No problem. I probably wasn't following at that time. Just looking to get out of a bunch of future edits :P
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
GizmoGuy411 wrote:I tested for "Par" and "Ph" in hopes that one would be an abbreviation for "Parish" as that is what Louisiana calls their counties.

Sorry Jason and Sketch... no love for LA yet.
No biggie. I can't think of any roads named after parishes in particular.

...well, except for "Parish" Road—it's actually called Paris Rd, but try convincing residents of St Bernard ("Da Parish") they're wrong!
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
CBenson wrote:This exit has been named "Exits 13A-B-C: US-301 / MD-3 Richmond / Crofton" to match the BGS for quite some time. I drive through it regularly. TTS says: "Exits thirteen ayybeesea...youess threeohone...emdee three Richmond...Crofton." It sounds fine to me. I've never seen or heard a complaint.
That's how it should be done (more or less — it should be "Exit" rather than "Exits", if that's what the big green sign says). Read the fifth bullet point in this section of the road naming wiki: http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Road ... n-ramps.29
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
CBenson wrote:
sketch wrote:it should be "Exit" rather than "Exits", if that's what the big green sign says
Just to clarify, you are saying it should be what the big green sign says, correct?
Correct. I think this varies by state. In Louisiana, it'll say "Exit 232A-B", for example.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Timbones wrote:
orbitc wrote:Would you put Avenue S as Ave 'S' or just leave it as Avenue 'S'?
Not sure. Is it "Avenue Ess" or "Avenue South"? Which is the noun? Does it really need to be abbreviated at all? Maybe it's time to get rid of them altogether. Devices have much higher resolutions these days, and there's plenty of space on the screen for full road names... [/rant]
I don't think so. Resolutions are getting higher but not all screens are getting bigger. I think you'll have a tough time justifying spelling out "Boulevard" or "Throughway" in any case.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Agreed. The nuances of map editing are confusing enough already. We don't need more of them, especially just for pronunciation.

Every GPS system on the market pronounces street names wrong all the time. Waze does some better, some worse than others. Yes, we like to be better than everyone, but the benefit we'd gain from this is small compared to the pain of editing this into every segment of the map Waze might get wrong.

People can figure out that "Arnoo" means "Arnoult" and not "Severn" or "Hessmer" or any of the streets nearby. It isn't crucial that Waze says it with the T like everybody in town. It's good enough not to have to worry about it THIS much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
It apparently hasn't been tested, but does anyone know whether "Univ" is pronounced "University"?
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
txemt wrote:I've been spelling out "business". I'd rather have waze say "I-20 business" instead of "I-20 bus".
Jason and I have been doing the same.

Anyone know if Tex or Tex. is expanded to Texas?

edit Or Tx (small x), for that matter.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message