This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by sketch
PhantomSoul wrote:Does anyone know if the common abbreviation "Twp" gets expanded to Township?
According to the spreadsheet, it does not.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
Uppercase E in single quotes definitely works for "eee" as opposed to "east". I have to use it on "Robert 'E' Lee Blvd".
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
spock7230 wrote:I've skimmed through the topic so far and have found a few entries that match the "street" vs "saint" problem with the "St" abbreviation, but haven't seen a clear answer yet on a best practice.

As part of my routing directions the other day, I was told to turn onto "Mechanic Saint Bypass," which has the street name label of "Mechanic St Byp" Is the best practice to spell out "St" as "Street" in the case where "street" isn't the last word in the street name? (Permalink) Otherwise, "St" is spoken "street" so far for me.

Thanks.
I think it'll also pronounce it "Street" if it's second to last before a cardinal direction (NSEW). I don't know about secondaries (NE, SW, etc.). But "to Broad St Overpass" is pronounced "Broad Saint Overpass".

A slash is treated like an end of line, though, I guess, because "Carondelet St / St Charles Ave" is pronounced "Carondelet Street, Saint Charles Avenue".
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
taddison1 wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:What was the exact name of the expressway, as named on the Waze map? It's working fine at the expressway near me.
It's "N Central Expy".

Whatever this TTS problem is, it doesn't seem to be consistent. Most streets announce fine, there seem to be just a few that don't.

I haven't figured out if it's always the same streets that fail to announce the abbreviations correctly, or if it's just a random failure that can occur on any street. Unfortunately, the streets that I've heard fail are far from my house so I can't easily go and drive them again.
All the examples I saw with the "N" problem seem to be where Waze doesn't expect a "north", that is, wherever the N is not preceded by a street abbreviation or a numerical highway designation. So it didn't work on "Cesar Chavez N" or "I-35W N", while I assume it would work on "Cesar Chavez Dr N" or "I-35 N".

Was "N Central Expy" only a problem with the "expressway" portion, or with the north as well? I would expect N at the front to work for North; I take "N Causeway Blvd" all the time and it always works.

Maybe "Expwy" would work for expressway where "Expy" does not. "Expwy" is the preferred abbreviation under the MUTCD. "Expy" is a USPS abbreviation we chose to prefer because (1) it's shorter and (2) some states use it on their signs anyway.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
qwaletee wrote:It would be interesting to know the distribution of signs using Br for Bridge versus using Br for Branch, so that we could know which to assign causing the fewest issues.
As noted elsewhere, when in doubt, spell in out.
"Br" is apparently the abbreviation for "Branch" according to both the USPS and MUTCD. This is what Waze's TTS abbreviations are apparently based on.

If a local authority disagrees with the USPS and the MUTCD, well, what can we do.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
AndyPoms wrote:I thought we only found "Br" = "Branch" in the USPS abbreviations, not in the MUTCD. I know in CT (there's a link to the state listing in the TTS spreadsheet) that "Br" is officially "Bridge" (and it's used extensively in the northeast US that way too).
To be honest, I thought so too, and in fact I originally said that in my post before editing it. The spreadsheet hints that its Br for branch in both, but I'd thought I remembered reading that Br = Bridge in the MUTCD itself. It's possible I read the spreadsheet wrong yesterday.

Either way, the point I was originally gonna make is that Waze's TTS pulls from both the USPS and MUTCD abbreviations. Usually this means we just get lots of alternatives, but of course where there's conflict we have to pick one. I figure Waze chose to incorporate "Br" for "Branch" and "Brg" for "Bridge" because it's the only way to resolve the conflict while still having an abbreviation for each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
orbitc wrote: Parkway issue is new to me. Happened going north. I don't think it happens all the time.
Just to be clear, issues with "N" not returning "North" have been reported a few times recently. I haven't heard any issues with "Pkwy" not returning "Parkway" (the one reported issue was actually just a typo, "Pwky").
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
qwaletee wrote:I know you're a champ and all, but you might want to double-check that with the developers. There is a bunch of abbreviation data on the client that seem to be there at all times, and TTS engines run client side on most platforms.
They don't on this platform. That's why TTS directions don't work when Waze can't find the network. TTS files are created server-side and cached on the device. If you're on Android, you can get to the cached files somewhere (I'm not on Android, but I believe it has been mentioned in this thread at least once).
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Btw, "Mt" says "mount," not "mountain."

I don't know if it was tested with capitals only ("MT"), or why if that's the case, but it seems I'd been changing instances of "Mt" to "Mount" unnecessarily.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/27/eqabavug.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
TTS instructions are indeed cached. Theres some way to clear it, I think by typing cc@tts nto the nav bar.

Is Tnl listed as supported in the Google spreadsheet?
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message