Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by sketch
Thortok2000 wrote:I've noticed sometimes when a weird voice is used with slightly different phrasing. I would assume that would be cached or non-server TTS of some kind. It usually doesn't include road names (sticking to stuff like 'turn left' instead of 'turn left at north pleasantburg drive') but very rarely does.
When Waze can't reach the server for TTS, it reverts to the last selected (or default) non-TTS voice as a fail-safe so you at least get some instruction. Usually this isn't too jarring, because the two default voice types are similar enough, although the non-TTS voice is a bit louder and sounds somewhat more excited. My most recent experience with this was not so, since the last non-TTS voice I had selected was Kevin Hart's Ride-Along. THAT was a surprise!

Here's another fun thing: "Sainte Anne St" is pronounced by the TTS voice such that it sounds a lot like "Satan Street". Yikes!
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
I'll try it too, if you need me. I have an iPhone.

Is there a thread for this somewhere I missed? :lol:
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
"Information
You are not authorised to read this forum."

Weird, I thought I was authorized to read all the forums..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
It's not there in my client.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
kentsmith9 wrote: In reviewing this page on Abbreviations and acronyms the first section seems out of place in the flow. I propose that we move it after the standard abbreviations section. However since the standard section is so long, I will include a note in that section pointing people to the "non-standard" section if they don't see what they are looking for.
Yeah, hang on, when did that first section get there, and what's all this ISO 3166-1 alpha-3 business? Certainly this (not abbreviating any prefixes, even directional prefixes, if I'm reading it correctly) isn't the rule in the United States.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
bgodette wrote:
qwaletee wrote:That page needs serious copyediting.
Go right ahead, and be sure to submit it to a new page or sandbox so others can review your work.
It's not copyediting that page needs, it's a full rewrite, and maybe just a removal of that first section. Those are not the rules, at least in the US, and they don't belong on a country-nonspecific page. (They are, indeed, also pretty difficult to understand.)
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
dbraughlr wrote: Let's just suppose that someone is uninitiated, lost, and confused. What's the difference between "Turn right onto [unintelligible] road 123" and "Turn right onto [unintelligible] 123"?
For lack of a better expression, "This."

We've had a lot of discussion here on state route naming and abbreviation standards, and while a lot of it is good, some of the arguments (especially SR-/"state route" vs. State Hwy) aren't very convincing, I think. So everyone says "highway" instead of "route" in whatever state, I really don't think anyone's going to be very confused when Waze tells them to turn on "State Route 526" when they think of it as "Highway 526". There's a sign with some shape and the number "526" on it. Unless that state's DOT is particularly sadistic, there aren't going to be three roads with the same number at that intersection.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
davielde wrote: So...close...
Haha, well, of course business routes and spurs are often going to have the same number.
dbraughlr wrote: It seems to me that on I-70 W before Clear Spring, MD, that there is a disambiguation sign clarifying that the exit is for MD-68 and to remain on I-70 to get to I-68 / National Freeway.

I-68 is newer freeway (thanks to the late Sen Byrd). The MD-68 number greatly predates the creation of I-68.
There's a similar situation where LA-59 is about 20 miles from I-59 along I-12. There's a sign at the LA-59 exit saying "TO I-59" with an arrow pointing ahead.

But that's for people who aren't using GPS navigation. You're gonna know which road to take based on when Waze gives the instruction.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Thortok2000 wrote: Essentially, the standard is for the type of road to be fully given, and THEN the number. Is it a 'forest service' or is it a 'forest service road'?

It's like the difference between saying 'state highway 291' and 'state 291'.
Well, maybe so, but down here and up where I visit we call them "L A One" and "Emm Twenty-Five", respectively ;)
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
dbraughlr wrote: There are a few exits/wayfinders that I've come across more than once that are interrupted by the next instruction. I'll have to pin a map issue next time I hear one. I know that another announcement starts immediately after "to I-80 Bus E / SR-99 S / Reno / Fresno". (Disorganized to follow an unreasonable rule rather than read off the BGSs separately from left to right. The two signs are 'biz' I-80 E to Reno and SR-99 S to Fresno. "SR-99 S Reno" makes no sense and is a wasted instruction.)
You read left to right, top to bottom. Line one, then line two. 80 Business and SR 99, to Reno and Fresno. Maybe "SR-99 S Reno" doesn't make sense, but neither does "Reno Fresno". The slash is a separator. Go this way if you need to get to any of the following: I-80 Bus E, SR-99 S, Reno, or Fresno. Route names are more important to GPS navigation than city names, so they're read first.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message