Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by qwaletee
Made some inconsequential fixes to the Douglas Adams subpage.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues

Post by robindlc
Can you change the warning on this page to:
This new page is currently undergoing modifications. The information and guidance is currently considered accurate enough to be followed now.
instead of current
This new page is currently undergoing modifications. The information presented should be considered a draft, not yet ready for use.
If you think this page is already OK, we would translate to other languages :)
robindlc
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by sketch
This is a fantastic page. Excellent work.

I agree with miked_64 that road type changes & NFC reversions should be included. It's a rather common problem in areas that aren't under heavy lock.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
DwarfLord wrote: I'll confess to some concern that, from a beginner's perspective, the Waze wiki may seem encyclopedic rather than tutorial in both treatment and organization. For example, if I go to the Road types (USA) Ramp article, I see many things that I still do not understand, such as a J-turn (which the article helpfully explains is an RCUT/"Superstreet"). Of course I can find out what this is quickly, but the point is that parts of our documentation aren't especially tutorial in nature.
The documentation on RCUTs and MUTIs and DLTs and Jughandles is in the works. I don't understand how this is anything but "tutorial" though. The list is there to delineate the types of segments which should be set to the ramp type in Waze, not to describe different types of the dictionary definition of "ramp" (the last four items on the list wouldn't qualify anyhow).
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
CBenson wrote: It seems to me that there are at least two factors at work. First, it seems to me that waze wants to be able to essentially say that the map is created by a vast number of users driving around and finding problems and getting them fixed. There of course is a something of a myth here in that much map editing is done without much connection to any driving. But to the extent that waze sees their userbase editing maps based on user's driving experiences then the scripts are just an outgrowth of that user experience with users making the waze map better. If waze doesn't look at the scripts, then they can continue to espouse the master myth of how the maps get created.
In a way, and to an extent, it's self-policing. Only the editors who actually bother to read the forums find out about the scripts. Others are left with bare WME.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Do we want to give links to scripts on a page that is intended to be shown to editors who have been found to be editing poorly, or should we keep them for those editors who have dived a little deeper into the wiki and forums? I say the latter. IMO it seems wise to let them correct the basic errors on their own using the resources on the page before we open up the world of some of the more esoteric problems (via script highlights) to them.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Didn't we determine recently that "walking trail" and "pedestrian boardwalk" seem to have their definitions backwards from a routing standpoint? So a "walking trail" is routable for addresses, and likely or possibly used for routing to businesses and homes on alleyways etc., whereas "pedestrian boardwalk" is not (supposedly) routable, and to be used for... what one might call walking trails. Is that forgotten? "Walking trails" as they are used (i.e., for routing) are necessary in a number of cases. I'm in favor of "don't mess with them"-style guidance for that reason.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by tonestertm
I have less problem with HNs being Cowclicked (which is actually a slight misnomer, since the point actually needs to be mooved a little, in order to confirm ;) ) than with HNs not being confirmed. By and large, in my experience, unconfirmed HNs cause FAR more problems than inappropriately confirmed ones.

Also, the points reward for confirming HNs is FAR below other, less time-consuming, editing practices, so I don't think of it as a major attraction for anyone points farming.
tonestertm
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/y7f2gsiomkpxbe6/CA_SM_Rocket_Shear_Alpha_50.png?dl=0
ARC for SW Region, USA
Global Champ, US Local Champ
The best editors Read the Wiki and read it often. Learn the proper way to handle URs. Don't draw another Place until you read this!

Post by voludu2
This is one of my favorite articles on the wiki, and I want to keep it as friendly as possible -- or even aim it more at "common editing mistakes"
Would it be OK if I wordsmithed a little to make it shorter and snappier?
Usability, Simplicity, Retention.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
OK. I'll start on the first point you just added. I'll let you know when I'm done.
It takes a long time to write briefly.

And if we are on the same page -- I will ask you if it is OK to make it "friendlier" because I see most of the content as perfect to hand to the first-time editor who has not made any mistakes yet.
In fact, as soon as I saw it, I wished I had read it before I had edited anything at all. Especially all those parking lots.... and the odd bridge.

------
OK. I changed "misunderstood principals" to "understanding waze principals" and did a little to the first point. In rearranging things, you can see I have caused some change in emphasis. I've dropped "strongly discouraged" in favor of ... sort of .. "don't" because this is beginner-level stuff. I made it less nuanced, I guess.
voludu2
Send a message