State Highway Naming

Post by the1who
Hello everyone in ND. I want to propose this as this is the direction I see Waze going to support states that use this particular naming method for their states. Not all states adhere to this, such as Kansas where it is simply "K-XX" but MN and MO in particular to what I know firsthand knowledge of refer to their state highways as "Minnesota 100" or "Missouri 7" and so forth. I propose, that we come to agreement to utilize this feature of TTS in Waze to output ND-21 as 'North Dakota 21' and other state highway names instead of SH-21 or SR-21 or State Hwy 21 as examples. This is the direction I personally would like to see ND go in for not only state recognition for travelers but it will slim down the text in the navigation bar and be uniform for the whole state instead of some pockets being State Hwy 21. SR-21 works fine too, but from Wiki of ND State Highways, the highways imply they are known as 'North Dakota XX', we can match that with Waze TTS as well now.
the1who
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

POSTER_ID:872208

Send a message
Global and US Champ, USA PLN A/RC Emeritus, Nevada State Manager and US Country Manager
Android Beta Leader
Direct E-mail: vegas.waze@gmail.com

Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra - 14.0 | Waze 4.100

Post by Fredo-p
I've got editing rights in Jamestown. I know of a few that are State hwy. I'll start changing them to ND-XX?
Fredo-p
Send a message

Arizona Wiki | @Waze_Arizona Twitter
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S8+

Post by Fredo-p
triage685 wrote:can we update the wiki? https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Highway_naming/USA
Done. However, do we still want to utilize County Hwy xxx or should that be updated to CR-XX?
Fredo-p
Send a message

Arizona Wiki | @Waze_Arizona Twitter
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S8+

Post by the1who
ND-XX would be preferred method once wholly adopted.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
the1who
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message
Global and US Champ, USA PLN A/RC Emeritus, Nevada State Manager and US Country Manager
Android Beta Leader
Direct E-mail: vegas.waze@gmail.com

Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra - 14.0 | Waze 4.100

Post by triage685
Just trying to confirm you want "ND-##" or "North Dakota-##"?
triage685
Send a message

Post by triage685
Vote for CR-###
triage685
Send a message

Post by triage685
I would push for CR-###.

Reference primary name, the street name (xxx st) should be primary and then work down through priority (I-##, US-##, ND-##, CR-##)
triage685
Send a message

Post by wxmeddler
Bump on this... I've seen in North Dakota alone:

Co Rd xx
CR-xx
Co Hwy xx
County Hwy xx
*County Name* xx

The official wiki listing is County Hwy xx

The NDDOT GIS metadata lists "*County Name* xx" but I am not sure if this is practical for Waze but it does match the ND signage. I believe using "Highway" in any form is misleading because some county roads can be dirt and some paved even with the same classification (as seen below).
CountyHwyExample_small.jpg
(80.57 KiB) Downloaded 825 times

My vote is for CR-xx to match other states or *County Name* xx to match road signs. I don't care which, editors could use the greasemonkey county plugin to identify which county they are in, or just look at the NDDOT FC maps.

Also, which should be the primary name (and thus secondary) of the segment? "CR" or "xxx St"? I've also seen this go both ways. NDDOT metadata prefers the xxx St.
wxmeddler
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message