Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Any way to avoid specific roads?

Post by chaaalie
I live in the Tampa Bay Area, and work on the other side of the bay ... from where I am there are basically three bridges to cross the bay and get to where I am going, and all three theoretically are highways/interstates so their posted speed is generally similar. The problem is that two of these bridges would route me through Tampa (city) and the third -- while only a couple miles and a minute or two longer -- would be almost exclusively "rural" interstate with much less traffic and simply a much easier commute ... but Waze is pretty insistent I take one of the high traffic routes.

Right now my only solution is to tell Waze I want to make a stop on the way actually AT the bridge I would prefer to cross ... but there really should be a more elegant solution. Being able to avoid specific routes or roads would be nice -- or simply being able to "reject" suggested routes until it comes up with one you like would be very helpful.

I'm a bit of a novice, so I apologize if I have missed some way to do this ... but I think I have checked out the options pretty thoroughly. Thanks.
chaaalie

POSTER_ID:10963456

Send a message

Post by bigdadi
trombenik wrote:Me too. I always avoid the George Washington Bridge when heading from NJ to Westchester or New England. I need to say NO WAY!

Also, I need a way to stop Waze from insisting to go back to the "fastest" route after I have deviated BECAUSE I KNOW BETTER. We need a button that says DONT TAKE ME BACK, RECALCULATE.
I always drive between NE & NJ. I avoid GWB by 2 setup destination, 1st one I use West Nyack's Palisades Center Mall address, 1000 Palisadez Center Dr., West Nyack NY, then I take a break there, and set my dest to NJ addr or NE addr, depending on what direction I am going.
bigdadi
Send a message

Post by breathing
Because of claustrophobia issues, I would like to avoid tunnels. And Waze tends to prefer I use a tunnel when chasing a rought around where I live.

I also would like to avoid the experience of taking the loops in interchanges between highways, like we see in "cloverleaf interchanges".
breathing
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Any chance you'd be willing to tell us generally where your route to work is?

The problem is that waze is designed to route you around the traffic. If its not, then it may be that there is some problem. It is much more likely that waze will want to correct the map or improve its routing algorithms than they will provide an option to manually avoid traffic.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by chaaalie
In the routes list there are three options, but the variations are AFTER the "Tampa route" bridges ... my issue is that some of these bridges have 7 or more miles between exits, and if there is a backup reported ahead of me once I pass that last "bail out" exit, I'm screwed.

It is a risk/reward scenario that just doesn't pay dividends for me ... if the two "Tampa" routes have no issues (which would be rare) I would arrive 3 minutes earlier ... but I'm willing to give up the 3 minutes because the "rural" route rarely has issues -- whereas the others are almost assured.

I have just started this route recently, and with the holidays ending I will be pushed more into the traditional commute hours (and so will everyone else) ... so maybe this week my preferred route will start showing up in the top 3 options.
chaaalie
Send a message

Post by GeekyGirl36
I find that although Waze is quite accurate on route times, I personally avoid certain roads or routes.

An example of this is a main road that leads to my down town, that main road has a steep incline (3rd gear or you are crawling/HIGH RPMs) and I like to avoid such high gas guzzling routes.

Another example is Waze prefers me to take the interstate home from work which I live close by to. Technically it is faster, but I really don't like to get onto the interstate for less then a 6 mile trip when it only saves a minute or three.

So basically I have just been running Waze without routes; I just turn it on and drive as I see fit. As far as I understand, it is still collecting my drive data and including it for other Wazers.
GeekyGirl36
Map Editor - level 2
Map Editor - level 2
Send a message
https://s.waze.tools/c2s.png
This is only the beginning, for you must walk before you can run. ;)

Post by GerardterBeke
breathing wrote:Because of claustrophobia issues, I would like to avoid tunnels. And Waze tends to prefer I use a tunnel when chasing a rought around where I live.

I also would like to avoid the experience of taking the loops in interchanges between highways, like we see in "cloverleaf interchanges".
How far would you want to deviate from a given route to do this? You might be better off with planning your route at home at the kitchentable and drive the predestined route.
GerardterBeke
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message
Country Manager Oman & the Netherlands
WME Stroopwafel Staff

https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... Badge2.pnghttps://i.ibb.co/ZNbYyt5/RIPIain.png

Post by gerben
Does the third (preferred) route show up in the alternative routes list? If yes, the others are simply faster according to real time and historical data. If it does not, there is a possible map error on the third route.
gerben
Send a message
Nokia Lumia 920 (WP8 3.7.6 client)
Countrymanager The Netherlands
[img]https:///EcBKq[/img][img]https:///WS6zp[/img][img]https:///Y17fx[/img]https://img69.imageshack.us/img69/35/luiconring.png

Post by gettingthere
Really no way to do what you are asking if an alternative route is not presented. Waze is designed to take you via the fastest route with the current conditions. There are other factors to the routing such as road type, distance, etc.

So likely the way Waze is taking you is the fastest route. If you want more control of your route and the fastest route is not that important, another App may suite you better.

There is toll road avoidance in the options. It's not sophisticated enough to allow the cost to be factored in. And not very helpful if you area has many toll roads.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by jm6087
KilCor wrote:
breathing wrote:Because of claustrophobia issues, I would like to avoid tunnels. And Waze tends to prefer I use a tunnel when chasing a rought around where I live.

There’s a specific road that goes mainly through Osceola County, FL called Nova Rd. that is 23 Miles of nothing. Should there be a way to make Waze avoid certain roads you choose for you?
There are a few options to avoid a few types of roads (like freeways and dirt roads) but as a general rule Waze will not be able to be set to avoid most options. The objective of the app is to get you to your destination as quickly as possible not avoid certain roads you choose.

The only way to do this is to set various destinations that would cause the app to avoid roads you don't like.
jm6087  
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 21
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ