Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Walking Trails Rapid City

Post by Lequs
I'm really tempted to delete the plethora of walking trails in this area. Obviously someone put some time into it though so not sure if I should. Thoughts?

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... 388&zoom=4
Lequs

POSTER_ID:16851795

Send a message

Post by bretmcvey
As long as the walking trails aren't connected to a drivable road they pose no harm to keep. If they are connected to a road there's a risk routing could occur in the app onto those trails. Not certain why they couldn't block all current routing onto walking trails, but that's the key issue. The trails in the app are barely noticeable anyway and really only are visible if driving slower (such as near a destination) or when panning and zooming around the map using the app.

So if they're legit, I'd keep them and if connected to a road, disconnect them.
bretmcvey
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Regional Coordinator - Plains Region
Global Waze Champ | Country Manager: USA | State Manager: Nebraska
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... _0M_6c.png

Post by bretmcvey
The reason it's an issue is related to editors that snap a trail to a road and open turn restrictions. If that change goes live, some routing instructions may attempt to use the trail as a road.

I'll have to run a test with -5 elevation to see if snapping to a trail still happens, but the logic is based on how routing via the app works. Obviously you'd lose Wazers if they get too many instances of being told to drive on a walking trail.

Waze is designed for auto traffic only. I've heard instances that Waze is used for other transportations methods (bicyclists), but ultimately it's only designed for someone driving/riding inside a motor-vehicle.
bretmcvey
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Regional Coordinator - Plains Region
Global Waze Champ | Country Manager: USA | State Manager: Nebraska
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... _0M_6c.png

Post by Lequs
K thanks. Had just finished reading a forum where lots of people were rather militant about not putting in walking trails, pretty much all the time. I see what you are saying, thanks.
Lequs
Send a message

Post by ttninja55
I read a thread where one individual made a reasoned case for Waze being a social mapping system. If a community want's it's walking trails, bike trails, golf cart routes, etc, mapped, why not? If the trails are set at -5 then there should be no issue with accidentally routing vehicles onto a trail. While I don't personally map walking trails, I must point out that if they are not to be mapped then there shouldn't be a "walking trail" option for mapping. And I really appreciated golfing on a course that was mapped. As long as the it's mapped as a walking trail then it shouldn't affect the accuracy of Waze traffic data and the value of that data. And where do we draw the line? I might think there is no point to mapping dirt trials, delete them, and then alienate some off-roaders who stop using the map altogether. To end the rambling and try to get back to making my case, it's a social map, if the community want's to map walking trails, especially the ones that go for miles and miles, why not let them?
ttninja55
Send a message