Google/bing results flaky?

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Google/bing results flaky?

Postby gettingthere » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:02 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
gettingthere wrote:I find the first one via Waze search results. I typed into Waze '14645 David Rd Beaverton'.
Found second one also via Waze search results. I typed '1325 Inglewood Ave Eugene'.

So the Waze results that are being returned are not in the correct location?

The 2nd one I think might be correct now. The 1st one is WAY off in Waze, not even on the right road. (It's Davis, not David, BTW.) Google now has it in the right place after I requested they move it.

The main issue, however, is that neither return any results under Google or Bing in the app.

David is a typo in my post. Fixed.

I don't know that I have ever seen street address searches show up on the Bing of Google results tab. I had always assume that these showed up on the Waze results tab and Waze was doing something on the back end to get an accurate location.

I have only noticed POI results coming up on the Bing, Google, Yelp, FourSquare tabs. But then again I almost always navigate to POI's vs street addresses.

If Wazers are just trying to navigate to their home, they can always PIN it from the map.
Wazer in San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico
iPhone 5, iOS 7.1, Waze 3.7.8
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby gettingthere » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:26 pm

We need additional input from others, who navigate to street addresses, on how the addresses are displayed.
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby gettingthere » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:53 pm

HavanaDay wrote:Sorry to bring up an old topic. I just got a couple update requests about non serachable roads.

Try searching Dudley Products Blvd. The only result I get is Dudley Grove, Bradford, England.

Bing returns no such road. Google does but it doesn't show up on the search results in the client.
On the waze live map it take me to the above address.

I added this road on 11/21/11.

Anybody been able to track down how to resolve such issues as these.

I do get a result for a Business 'Grady P. Swisher Center' via Google results when searching for 'Dudley Products Blvd'

I believe that the Bing, Google results are generally for POI searching vs. street address searching. I also recall reading a post regarding this.

The search results that Waze returns on the Wazer icon results seem to be a bit flaky. Maybe that road is not yet indexed for the search results since you added it in the map editor?

I really don't know how Waze is providing results for navigating to street addresses. It seems that they are using some other source for these but then show them on the Waze results screen. Someone from Waze will need to respond on how they are resolving street addresses. Maybe that data was imported in base-mapped countries but just does not display in the map editor? This may explain why Wazers in countries that were base mapped may be getting better results in navigating to street addresses vs. non-base mapped countries.
Last edited by gettingthere on Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Google/bing results flaky?

Postby gettingthere » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:51 pm

Thanks for clarifying. In regards to the United States, are you able to disclose who you are using for the street addresses? Is there a way that map editors can submit to have incorrect addresses corrected?

Do addresses that have been added in Cartouche_old take priority when setting a route vs. the addresses from the provider that Waze is using?
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby HavanaDay » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:41 pm

Sorry to bring up an old topic. I just got a couple update requests about non serachable roads.

Try searching Dudley Products Blvd. The only result I get is Dudley Grove, Bradford, England.

Bing returns no such road. Google does but it doesn't show up on the search results in the client.
On the waze live map it take me to the above address.

I added this road on 11/21/11.

Anybody been able to track down how to resolve such issues as these.
HavanaDay
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby krankyd » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:37 am

Just to clarify:

On the Google / Bing tabs you will always find only POIs and not street addresses.
The street addresses are given from the waze search tab only, and they could differ from country to country. In some countries (those with a basemap) we use a third party search to find addresses, which is integrated along with the results that we have in waze.

There are a few bugs with the system - as Alan mentioned in the beginning of this post - and we are working on solving them.
wazing like a hurricane
krankyd
Waze Team
Waze Team

Postby tjreo » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:36 pm

I have not run into this problem simply because I don't typically (okay, ever) search by physical address. However, I am fielding my second User Request saying that Waze is reporting their home address incorrectly.

What should we be telling wazers experiencing this problem?

(Full Disclosure: I am not familiar with the House Numbers layer of Cartouche)
Area Manager for Denver, Colorado • Colorado To Do
iPhone 3G • iOS 4.2.1 • AT&T
tjreo

Previous

Return to Search