Why not use existing maps like openstreetmap.org?

Post by mrcratos
The maps I've seen in Waze seem somewhere between just Ok and really bad. I know the maps are constantly improving, but I'm wondering why not use existing open mapping systems like http://www.openstreetmap.org/
mrcratos

POSTER_ID:980

Send a message

Post by ariesboy475
For the users that are using this app and building the data, it will be free.

Most likely they are looking to sell the data feed to other applications for some fee. Maybe some sort of subscriptional basis for perpetual $$.
ariesboy475
Send a message

Post by kasrhp
They have stated it will always be free to the user. They say we are the ones doing the work, and therefore should receive the benefits for it. Im not sure of their future business plans for it, but I can imagine the data, traffic, whatever info could be pulled from this app could be very valuable in the future.
kasrhp
Send a message

Post by kasrhp
Just remember your roots when you guys get all rich and famous ;)
kasrhp
Send a message

Post by KW33D
Many map sources that are free to us are not truly "free" if someone wants to create an application (with possible monetary gain) from those maps.

Those maps you linked to are free BUT are under CC License (click the link on the bottom left of the page).
[quote='Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic']...Share Alike — If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute the resulting work only under the same or similar license to this one. ...[/quote]

Waze would have to then be under the same CC License and therefore would not be able to change their business model.

Thats what I think at least.

The developers have answered this question a couple of times though. Most free online maps are free to us but not to another company to use.
KW33D
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by macneo
You're bringing out an interesting point: what is exactly Waze's business model?
Right now the site is free and the apps (android and iphone) are free.
I know this is just the start so the only answer will be "we're thinking about it, and you'll know when we decide anything" but… since it's us (the community) who are building the database, I wonder if they plan someday in the future to put a pricetag on our work.
macneo
Send a message

Post by The Fej
Indeed, as both ariesboy475 and kasrhp indicated, the idea is that the data accumulated and analyzed
has value and as such serves as the basis for our business plan. Whereas the users and drivers who contribute get the service for free, business and commercial usage will be priced.
The Fej
Waze Management
Waze Management
Send a message