This is the place to discuss mapping convention, street/ roads naming methods, when to approve places etc.
Please have a look at Waze's Wiki page - http://goo.gl/35q9OT

Standardize Transliteration of Common Words

Post by HandofMadness
Hi, one of the challenges we face is that there often are multiple ways of transliterating a word. One of the more common words is Koh (island). Most islands include this in their name (Ex: Koh Samui, Koh Phi Phi), etc.

In the case of island, it is common to see it spelled both Koh and Ko. Which leads to trouble as different editors may spell it different ways. Even the Thai government can't seem to decide. I found Koh Yao spelled both Ko and Koh on the official province website.

Proposal:
1) For consistency we standardize on transliterations of common words and add them to the Wiki
2) The first word to submit be "Koh" as the standard for Island.

Justification for Koh spelling:
- For most islands, Google search tends to show Koh as most used, in some cases by quite a bit. For instance, search for Ko Samui, and Google automatically shows results for Koh Samui instead.
- Most importantly: The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), the official government run agency for promoting tourism in Thailand has standardized on the Koh spelling on their promotional materials.

Any objections or discussion before adding this to the Wiki?
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:6884845

Send a message
Last edited by HandofMadness on Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Dutchdirt
The reason for choosing 'Koh' is extensively explained in the opening post of this thread. In short: We've looked at Google and TAT.

We are NOT allowed to use other navigation or map programs as a source. This includes the programs you mention like Google Maps, Sygic, Michelin, etc. Even looking at them for comparison purposes doesn't make them sources we can trust.

As for standard or official romanisation of Thai script: We are not aware there's a single standard. But we would welcome such a standard very much. Especially when it's accessible AND free to use (not copyrighted in any manner)

Concerning the administrative structure of Thailand: we are focusing on the actual city/town/village names. And restricting the use of city-name field to the actual city/town/village built-up or urban area.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HTC One_M8 met Tapatalk
Dutchdirt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by Dutchdirt
Gladythat we have cleared that out of the way.

Even more glad with this initiative.

I would very much like have a look at this website of yours!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HTC One_M8 met Tapatalk
Dutchdirt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by HandofMadness
Koh has been added to the wiki. This thread is now open to proposals for additional words.

Please post the word, your preferred spelling, and justification (if any) for your preference over the other alternatives.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by NuiRouply
I'm very surprised about prefix Koh for the Island in Thailand..
Why??
In thai, island is write เกาะ.. People who study thai language, kwow the good writting is Ko. There is no ambiguity on this word

I study the Thai politic geographic. Thailand use official romanised name for all city and island.
Koh not exist every where.(some officer use Koh, but it's wrong, because on official document, it's writting Ko).. The official use Ko. My sources come from the cadastral register.

but that's not all:
If you check about google map, they use 'ko'. I also searched all known gps.
Sygic, Here, Michelin, Longdo,...... all use Ko....
Waze only one use 'koh' Why?

I am very attentive to the transliteration Thai-->english
I am developing a small website about this. There is at present in the database, the correct transliteration (official) of:
77 jangwat
928 ampheu
7428 Thambon (it's the real number of Thambon in Thailand)
I intend to add the few 83840 Mooban and i aleready start too add the street name.

If there is someone who has a request about a transliteration, I'm free for this and I would respond with the utmost attention and passion.

Sorry for my english....
NuiRouply
Send a message

Post by NuiRouply
I mentionned by curiosity google, michelin and otther. And only for curiosity.
For the official name, It comes from the official cadastre Thai.. and i check it. It is consultable in town hall. There are also government websites that refer to it.
i agree for no copy copyright.

I repeat.... Have official source and no copywrited for this
NuiRouply
Send a message

Post by prosql
benandjerry wrote:+1 for both items
+1 to the +1....
prosql
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message