Forum for requesting any unlocks, closures or fixes by a higher rank editor.
Please read "Posting Guidelines" before submitting your request.

[Level 4] A46 Warwick Bypass - Keep Right

Post by joshbrw
This part of the A46 splits from 3 lanes into two sections: One Lane and Two Lanes.

If you are meant to stay in the right hand two lanes, surely you should get given a "Keep Right"? When you only get given a "Keep Left" if you take the left hand lane, and not a "keep right" if you need to keep right, which can be confusing.

See permalink:

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=row&lo ... ,164963500
joshbrw

Post by ditchi56
This is a recurring debate.

The argument for not issuing a "keep right" is that people doing a long journey on the same road get fed up with continual "keep right"s. Also, they stop Waze from showing how long before you turn off. Whatever we do, it's guaranteed that someone won't like it.

I believe this post states the current policy - on which basis this particular junction should not have a "keep right".

Ian
ditchi56
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 2
Last edited by ditchi56 on Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by joshbrw
I really don't accept that this shouldn't have a "Keep Right", as you're meant to by law drive in the left hand lane when it's free, so why does the left-hand lane get a "Keep" warning, but not the right?

Also, with this junction, the "Look at the road signs!" argument doesn't apply, as it's not obvious from the signs which lane you need to be in, as the destination shown on Waze doesn't match any of the signs.

Also, that post seems to reference exits that don't have their own dedicated lane?
joshbrw

Post by ditchi56
Counter arguments to having a "keep right" are that (if you're not turning off), Waze will be displaying that you are on the A46, and that you leave the A46 some distance ahead. Lanes 2 & 3 are marked "A46", lane 1 is marked A429. So all the information is there to enable the driver to pick the appropriate lane. Finally, if you do turn off when you don't mean to, Waze should be able to recalculate quickly enough to get you back on at the same junction.

In an ideal world, phone GPS would be good enough to know which lane the vehicle is in, and then we could get the instructions "right". At present, as I said above, whatever we do, someone won't like it.

I understand the case for a "keep right". It's just that when we had a long debate about it (see the topic referenced above), the people who didn't want a keep right in this circumstance were in the majority. Personally, I wouldn't want to go back to hearing "keep right" at almost every junction on the M25.
ditchi56
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 2
Last edited by ditchi56 on Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by joshbrw
That is a valid point, and I understand that this isn't going to be appropriate for every junction, but I feel that it makes sense for this junction as I have driven down this road a fair few times but I was headed to a different destination the other day and was unsure as to which lane I was meant to be in.
joshbrw

Post by iainhouse
I don't feel this junction needs either a keep left or a keep right.

First off, the exit is very well signed. There are 2 large roadside signs indicating that lane 1 goes off whilst lanes 2 & 3 continue onwards. There is a large gantry over the road 1/2 a mile before the split that clearly indicates the directions and says "GET IN LANE". The directions are marked on the road surface in 3 different locations. Lastly, there is an enormous gantry at the split that makes it pretty obvious.

There are other considerations. The lane drop is only one lane. If you stay in lane 1 when you mean to continue, then correcting your mistake (if you're not too late) doesn't involve crossing any lanes of traffic. If you stayed in lane 3 when you wanted to get off - well you're not driving properly and there's only a limited amount we can do to help. :lol:

Also, if you stay in lane 1 and accidentally come off here, it is very easy to cross the roundabout, make a right turn and rejoin the main road. If, on the other hand, it would be difficult to rejoin the correct route, that would be a justification for KL/KR instructions.

Lastly, as ditchi56 says, we have in the past had a lot of complaints about unwanted "keep right" instructions on dual carriageways. Many drivers don't want to hear them and they "hide" the exit instruction that the driver is expecting further up the road. If I'm heading up the A1 to Newcastle, I'd much rather see the app telling me I have to exit on the A184 in 59 mile, than sit through a dozen "keep rights" with no clear idea how far it is to "my" exit".
iainhouse
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Answers: 1
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... c4/AGC.pnghttps://sign.waze.tools/s2000.pnghttps://sign.waze.tools/c6.png
My scripts: WME FixUI WME Presets :ugeek:
I want to go to a commune in Vermont and deal with no unit of time shorter than a season