Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by sketch
ctpoole wrote:I had thought that "N." and "N" at the beginning of a street name now were pronounced "en" and "North" respectively, but apparently not. I have been experimenting with N Avenue in Plano, TX near my office (Permalink). Apparently, it still is pronounced "North" when you have the "N.".

Do I have to put it back to 'N' to get it to pronounce correctly? I really hate having to do that.
For now. We're trying to get that change made, though.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
We have seen this problem before, where "N" is correctly pronounced as "north" only after certain abbreviations (e.g., St, Blvd, Ave) and after numbers (e.g., SR-135) — but after other things, like, other words (e.g., Cesar Chavez), alphanumerics ending in letters (e.g., SR-13A), and abbreviations ending in "y" (e.g., Pkwy) it does not work properly and instead says "en".
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
PesachZ wrote:
sketch wrote:We have seen this problem before, where "N" is correctly pronounced as "north" only after certain abbreviations (e.g., St, Blvd, Ave) and after numbers (e.g., SR-135) — but after other things, like, other words (e.g., Cesar Chavez), alphanumerics ending in letters (e.g., SR-13A), and abbreviations ending in "y" (e.g., Pkwy) it does not work properly and instead says "en".
but I thought it had been fixed, what gives?
I thought so too. Maybe it's been fixed in some cases (end of string) and not others (mid-string, e.g., before a space followed by a slash).
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Propose we hard-code Dr. to Doctor and Dr to Drive – if I'm not mistaken, both are currently handled by Nuance default behavior.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Thortok2000 wrote:
MGODLEW wrote:I discovered an issue with TTS the other day for this "Place" Magisterial District Court 11-3-07 Its official name is Eleven Three Zero Seven however waze pronounces 11-3-07 as Novermber 3rd, 2007. "Arriving Magisterial District Court Novermber 3rd, 2007"
....You were driving a DeLorean, weren't you?
Did you notice a cable attached to the clock tower on the courthouse?
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Was it all caps "SVC" or not "Svc"?
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Thanks for your post. I had this problem too, over the weekend, in Lake Buena Vista, FL. We'll check it out. This might be the kind of thing that's universal enough to change countrywide.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
BTW – just to keep things realistic. It's possible to fix this pronunciation, but it won't be especially soon. We're kinda backlogged with TTS stuff at the moment.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
beej666 wrote:i still don't understand how the fix gets made. i've been made to understand that somebody from the Google Waze team will need to fill out some sort of request upstream with the TTS provider. who is that person? how does my request get in their inbox?
Right, as Pesach said, you did the right thing. GizmoGuy411 and I are in contact with Waze staff about this stuff. The custom abbreviations list contains stuff like "NC" = "North Carolina" and "N" = "North". It also contains, for example, "Versailles" = "verssigh" or something like that. That's the way we do it, we find something that works with the TTS system and plug it into the big list, but we have a few more pressing matters to attend to, like various abbreviations we need to get supported, and some problems with a few existing ones.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Trust me, it's no less disappointing waiting for months at Waze staff's toes with a long list of desired pronunciations. For better or worse, it's not really a priority for them. It's really easy to have lots of pet projects within a big group of map editors and an enormous group of users, but Waze has only a small development team with a lot to do.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message