These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by GFGT
The new alerts on the map don't appear to allow you to tap them to open them up to see what they are until you zoom in. The color codes are a nice touch but I don't like having to zoom in a bunch and only then be able to tap them to open them up. (Yeah I realize this could be a problem when a bunch of reports are stacked up on each other).

Other Wazers don't seem to be showing up on the map.

The icons on the road report screens are too small. Not all of us are 20-30-something anymore. Larger icons (or the ability to select them) would be nice for us with older eyes.
GFGT
Send a message

Post by Goldsw2
I had a number of misgivings about the Waze icons in the new release, because they are not easy to distinguish, especially at night or while driving.

I predict people would make mistakes...

Well, I am now one of them. I saw a car stopped in the middle of the road, so I clicked the hazard button for hazard in the middle of the road (as opposed to the shoulder. These aren't easily distinguishable either but I digress...)

I meant to click on the Auto button, which has the car tilting slightly to the left, but instead, I clicked on the Pothole button, which has has the car tilting slightly to the right. Certainly, I had a slight hesitation which is a unfortunate distraction while driving.
Goldsw2
Send a message

Post by GregoryKoch
JamieBlade wrote:Waze dropped out on me yesterday. I normally have my phone mounted on a cradle on my motorbike, with headphones into my helmet, but I've just got a new iPhone, and am waiting for a new cradle, so it goes in my jacket pocket and I rely on voice directions to navigate for now. Half way to my destination, the app must have crashed...and no more voice directions...I carried on straight for a while before realizing, then had to stop, get the gloves off, dig out the phone and sort out the issue. Pretty inconvenient, just thought I'd mention it here. Sent logs, dunno if it would show anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It did that to me yesterday evening and again this morning. It's not just you. And I don't have a new iPhone, it's been working fine for a while and now it's not.
GregoryKoch
Send a message

Post by Gunterski
I can't navigate to contacts anymore. Search won't show them in results.

I check IOS/Settinggs/Privacy/Contacts but waze is not even listed there. Already uninstalled and reinstalled but still not working and still nothing in settings.
Gunterski
Send a message

Post by iklimchuk
in general i like new version but there are 2 major issues appeared to me with this update:
1. swipe to reveal places and friends lists. absolutely ridiculous as for me. while i'm driving i do not need to open friends list of destinations. i just want to scroll the map to see where i'm going to. but instead of it i'm constantly opening these lists which driving me crazy. you should tap the screen really precisely to scroll it and not open these lists.
It's really big usability gap, this functionality is not needed at all, 2 big buttons are more than enough. I've never had problems with opening destinations or friends list using buttons. Please disable this "feature" (or at least make it configurable), it makes the app almost unusable while you're driving.
2. in v 3.x when i was entering the street name there was a small arrow. If i hit it - it was putting the whole street name to the omnibox AND THEN I WAS ABLE to put house number. In current version it's gone so i must type the whole street name manually or loose the ability to put the house number because tapping street name from auto-suggestion list immediately brings me to navigation pane.

hope it will be fixed in future releases...
do not want to switch back to the google maps...

iphone 5s
iklimchuk
Send a message

Post by jackohug
For those of us using the "lock North up" setting, could the current location be moved to the centre of the screen, rather than right at the bottom? Navigating anywhere south is still somewhat of a guessing game ;)
jackohug
Send a message

Post by JamieBlade
Waze dropped out on me yesterday. I normally have my phone mounted on a cradle on my motorbike, with headphones into my helmet, but I've just got a new iPhone, and am waiting for a new cradle, so it goes in my jacket pocket and I rely on voice directions to navigate for now. Half way to my destination, the app must have crashed...and no more voice directions...I carried on straight for a while before realizing, then had to stop, get the gloves off, dig out the phone and sort out the issue. Pretty inconvenient, just thought I'd mention it here. Sent logs, dunno if it would show anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JamieBlade
Send a message
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"...until then, there's Waze :D

Post by JB15TM
Regarding all comments related to Bluetooth and getting voice commands through car speaker...

I'm iPhone 6. Phone connected via aux-power (not USB) and audio cable into the AUX port.
Play sound to phone speaker - DISabled
Prefer Bluetooth - ENabled

Generally this has worked for me. I mostly play music from the phone. But it also works if I have the radio on. Voice commands go through BT "simulating a phone call" and this works.

I've been in several rental vehicles and this also works. Regardless if that vehicle has BT. If I am able to pair my phone, the commands work as above. Otherwise they just come normal through the AUX port cable. BUT - if there is no BT, the AUX port commands only work if the audio system is set to AUX. In other words, if you have the radio on and no BT phone connection, commands won't be heard.

Also, in my case, connecting the phone with USB tend to cause problems. You are directly linked to the car's system and there are internal issues that pop up. Like the car immediately starting to play your music. I simply bought a USB charging plug that easily goes with me.

Recent problem with last rental vehicle. Hyundai Sonata with BT audio. This vehicle allows playing music via BT with no AUX cable required. However, once I did that, Waze voice commands went sideways. The start of every command was lost - - as if the command started, but there was a delay making an audio connection. So, I never heard the "in one mile..." or "in 1000 feet..." All I heard was Turn Right... Turn Right.
I reconnected the AUX cable, and everything was normal again.

Don't know if this is a Waze thing, or a Hyundai connection problem.

BUT, there are a lot of systems out there and I don't think it's reasonable to think that Waze must work exactly right with every system or the app is crap. In almost every case there should be a way to make it work - even if it's not exactly the way you think it should work.

Generally I've had a decent experience with v4.

My largest complaint is drives not appearing in WME. This started happening in a much larger scale since v4 release. And it tends to happen on new drives when I hoped to add area.
JB15TM
Master Raider
Master Raider
Send a message

Post by jck667
spectrumfox wrote:
B_Carp wrote:Annoyingly, the "Alerts only" setting now gives sound when the path deviates from the Waze-directed path & also alerts to expected traffic time when I'm already in traffic. This is a new change in 4.0.1.
kerrypowell wrote:Yes, I'm annoyed as well. Hopefully this is a bug and not a new feature.
rad1jc wrote:This annoys me as well. I drive in "Alerts Only" mode and don't necessarily use Waze for guidance but for alerts along my route (traffic, etc.). I tend NOT to drive where it wants me to so I'm suddenly hearing the "recalculating" chime a lot and it's bothersome.
If this is a new "feature", it's absolutely horrible. I can no longer listen to my music without hearing that annoying chirp all of the time when I make a turn that Waze doesn't approve of.

Please allow us to disable this in a separate option. I've been using Waze for years, and I want to continue using it, but this one thing is a dealbreaker if it's not resolved.
+1, what spectrumfox said. Waze now interrupts the radio/CD/podcast often, so having an option to disable the recalculate sound would be very much appreciated. (I would still like to be alerted for police / accidents / road kill / etc as this is a powerful feature of the app.) Thanks in advance. :)
jck667
Send a message

Post by jh4c
A few thoughts from a UK-based user:
1 - why are all the shorter distances now being given in feet instead of yards when using UK-localised voices? Signs here use yards, brains use yards or meters (depending on when you went to school) as they're reasonably interchangeable. Having to work out what the distance is in a measurement I can visualise wastes time and makes the directions distracting instead of helpful. (I have started using the new US-Star Wars voice as it uses decimal points of miles, which is the simplest as it matches the car's own measuring system!)

2 - who thought that reporting traffic jams wasn't important enough to be allowed from the opposite side of the road? Having received the greater share of my thanks from other users precisely because I've warned them about how long tailbacks are on the other side to the one I'm driving, I genuinely don't understand why this functionality has been removed. Same with vehicles stopped on/by the roadway - on narrow lanes it makes little difference as they're likely to inconvenience everyone that approaches, but on motorways it makes a significant difference! To remove the very functionality that the app is promoted for supplying seems to be a great way to diminish your userbase & your sponsors' potential revenue sources.

3 - the new little icons for what you're trying to report are fiddly and annoying, and if you're driving solo it makes reporting far too distracting, meaning that the whole "community reporting" thing goes straight out the window and I might as well just use Apple or Google.

4 - the whole look of the app is now very childish; if I wanted My First SatNav I'd go to VTech. As the app updated the same time I upgraded my phone, sadly I don't have the option of rolling back to an earlier build, although I'm sure you'd have patched it as soon as I tried to connect anyway.

I've used Waze now for nearly 3 years, and always been happy until now. I know it's free, and "you get what you pay for," but there's plenty of alternatives nowadays... Collecting themed road goodies is hardly a good trade-off for accurate and informative traffic news.
jh4c
Send a message