Annoying chirp in "Alerts Only" mode when changing course

You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, MGODLEW

Forum rules
Waze staff does not read this forum

This forum is made for community discussions only.
To submit a feature request to Waze, read and follow the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features".

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Annoying chirp in "Alerts Only" mode when changing course

Postby spectrumfox » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:22 am

This behavior seemed to start with 4.0.1.

When I'm in "Alerts Only" mode and I change course, Waze gives off a chirping beep kind of noise. It's incredibly bothersome, especially when I'm listening to music. I end up having to turn off sounds completely, which is not optimal because then I can't hear important alerts.

Is this a bug? If not, could it at least be turned into a separate setting?

UPDATE: Apparently, it's a new "feature". It's absolutely horrific as I can't listen to music or talk to someone on speakerphone without hearing it over and over. Waze, please allow us to disable this in a separate option.
spectrumfox

Re: Annoying chirp in "Alerts Only" mode when changing cours

Postby Jay91150 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:42 pm

It's a route recalculation chime, and as far as I knew, it was supposed to be suppressed in Alerts Only mode. I presume the reference to 4.0.1 means you're an iOS user; I'm on Android and found it in a recent beta, and reported it as a bug.

It's a deal-breaker for me as well. Waze doesn't and for some reason won't learn my ideal route, and I have no interest in hearing the chime 47 times during my commute.
Jay91150

Postby vince1612 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:51 pm

Jay91150 wrote:It's a route recalculation chime, and as far as I knew, it was supposed to be suppressed in Alerts Only mode...
Waze doesn't and for some reason won't learn my ideal route, and I have no interest in hearing the chime 47 times during my commute.

This is being talked about in other threads, including the main feedback thread already.
Basically this had been requested before from a lot of people who didn't like not to have a sound for rerouting events in Alert-Only mode, now it's the turn of those who don't like to have it to complain.
It's like that with almost every change that Waze brings to how the app works, because they apparently don't really like to add toggles allowing people to set their personal preferences, they just switch things on/off for everybody and it's impossible to have everyone happy that way.

About Waze not learning your ideal route:
Waze FAQ wrote:The setting within the Dashboard page, "Auto-learn routes to frequent destinations" is misleading. Waze only learns your favorite destinations, but does not learn or store actual routes. It will pop-up with the "Are going home?" or "going to work?" messages for these frequented destinations.
Waze should always pick what it believes is, mathematically, the fastest or shortest route, depending on your settings. If, in your estimation, it doesn't, that means that there could be an error in the map somewhere along your preferred route, or there is a lack of correct speed/traffic data for that route, or lack or correct speed/traffic data on the route it is trying to send you on. If it isn't too far out of your way, take the suggested route a few times and Waze will collect and start to use that data in its routing decisions.
The reason just driving the expected or preferred route won't work automatically is because Waze could have incorrect speed data on the segments it wants you to take. If Waze thinks another road is 2x as fast as your preferred road, no amount of driving on your preferred road can change the data for the other road. Waze needs accurate data for all neighboring segments and routes in order to always compute the fastest (or shortest, depending on your app setting) route.
[ img ]
Wiki & Forum: Wiki CH (D) (FR) | Forum CH (D) (FR) (I)
1+1=3 - The result of bringing talents together goes beyond simply adding them up.
vince1612
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Jay91150 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:59 pm

vince1612 wrote:This is being talked about in other threads, including the main feedback thread already.
Basically this had been requested before from a lot of people who didn't like not to have a sound for rerouting events in Alert-Only mode, now it's the turn of those who don't like to have it to complain.
It's like that with almost every change that Waze brings to how the app works, because they apparently don't really like to add toggles allowing people to set their personal preferences, they just switch things on/off for everybody and it's impossible to have everyone happy that way.

Well, there's going to be an option to silence this, or you're going to lose a country champ. It's that simple.

vince1612 wrote:About Waze not learning your ideal route:

Thanks for the contribution, but that's not applicable to what I was talking about. "Not learning my route" is perhaps a poor description. I have quite a long commute, and poor timing in that when I start my trip, Waze's ideal route is clear, but by the time I get onto certain parts of it, it will take me twice or three times as long as the route I prefer to take. And unless I manually re-select the route several times over the course of my travel, Waze won't recognize that it's faster until I prompt it to check.

One solution so far has been to not generate routes/navigation, so that the sound doesn't go off, but that defeats one of the primary purposes of using the app altogether.
Jay91150

Postby vince1612 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:15 am

Jay91150 wrote:Well, there's going to be an option to silence this, or you're going to lose a country champ. It's that simple.

Perhaps you should make that threat to Waze, not me :P

Jay91150 wrote:"Not learning my route" is perhaps a poor description...

Ok I see what you mean then. From what we were told by Waze in a meetup, and what I remember, the 3 alternate routes are basically this (unless they changed it since):
1. The "optimal" route
2. will be based on #1 but try to look for a different route on the first part of the itinerary
3. will be based on #1 but try to look for a different route on the last part of the itinerary

So from there it's clear that Waze obviously cannot make out your ideal route based on the first optimal route you get and where it's actually looking for alternatives based on it. But your action to create a new "optimal route" from a new start point when you drive allows Waze to consider alternate routes differently as the first/last parts of the #1 route will be slightly different. (Not sure if that all made sense)
[ img ]
1+1=3 - The result of bringing talents together goes beyond simply adding them up.
vince1612
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Notifications without path change "chime"

Postby Graufalke » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:30 pm

Ever since the last update I cannot get Waze to give me only notification sounds such as heavy traffic or police on path nearby without having the path change chime active as well.

How can I disable the path change chime and still have the notifications come through or if this is just not available can it be. Listening to that chime is giving me an eye tick.

Thanks!
Graufalke

Re: Notifications without path change "chime"

Postby vince1612 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:47 pm

Graufalke wrote:How can I disable the path change chime and still have the notifications come through

Currently it is not possible
[ img ]
vince1612
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby el__jefe » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:22 am

Waze: Please please let me mute that insipid re-calculating route noise. It's a horrible addition, annoying and not helpful to anyone at all. We expect the app to change routes just like every other nav system known to man. Why do you think this warrants a special sound?
We don't need audible confirmation of an assumed expectation. Please turn it off or give me a switch to turn it off. PLEEEEZE!
el__jefe

Postby KuniaKid » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:44 pm

el__jefe wrote: It's a horrible addition, annoying and not helpful to anyone at all.

What are you, Republican? You don't speak for everyone. Especially me. I like the addition, and it is helpful to me.
KuniaKid
State Manager
State Manager

iOS 9.1 Waze 4.0.0.1 alerts only

Postby pHilNH » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:34 pm

I don't know if was an iOS update or a Waze app update, but when I choose alerts only for navigation - because I don't need step by step directions, I only want accidents and police - the app constantly makes noises and if I am able to look at my phone it seems to be showing me a turn for my route coming up. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of alerts only?
pHilNH

Next

Return to Waze App Feature Requests