Post by voludu2
Since walking trails can have a really bad effect on routing, should we make the guidance really strong? Anyone is authorized to delete a walking trail.

In the rare cases where a walking trail is required (statue of liberty, rare "wazers on trails" problems), they should be locked good and high, and probably have an accompanying note to editors (in the form of a UR starting with [NOTE]).

Would it make sense to make this clear in road types, in best practices, etc?
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
I think this is good information. Information about the effect on routing is global, and so should probably go into a global document on road types and routing.

Decisions made in the USA that are stylistic, or chosen because of certain situations that exist in the USA, should be separated from informatoin that is simply about how Waze works globally, so that interested readers can understand the difference between "how to get waze to route the way we want it to work" and "how we want waze to route".

A very interesting use of walking trails to improve routing is at the Statue of liberty and Ellis Island. The walking trails from two locations allows waze to choose the shortest route to one of two passenger docks for these locations. https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... 0,82688312
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
Now that is interesting. It worked great back in November.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
If that gets the thumbs-up, I suggest some slightly simpler English:
Walking Trails
Waze lists Walking Trail as a non-drivable road. But it treats it as a drivable road, similar to a parking lot road. Waze will tell wazers to drive on walking trails. In the app, a walking trail looks different from a parking lot road. Named walking trails can have house numbers. Even if they are disconnected from all other drivable roads, they can still affect routing along drivable roads. In special cases, walking trails are used to direct wazers to the correct stop point for a location not directly reachable by road.

(USA-only article continues here)

Limitations
* The name "Walking Trail" is misleading. It is NOT good to map all pedestrian walkways, hiking trails, and bicycle paths. A Walking trail near destinations can distort routing to those destinations even if the Walking Trail is disconnected from the road network.

* Mapping walking and biking trails might encourage wazers to waze while walking, running, or biking on these trails and on drivable roads. This can make roads seem slower than they actually are. As of March 2015 the waze map should discourage pedestrians and cyclists from using Waze. The waze map should not look useful to pedestrians and cyclists.

Applications

In some rare cases, walking trails can be used to correct Waze routing. Examples include
* A music stage in a large park, close to road "A", but only accessible from road "B". Use a walking trail from road "B" to the music stage
* A train station with parking on both sides of the tracks, where waze only routes to one of the parking lots. Add walking trails from both parking lots.
* Homes on non-drivable footpaths. Use a named Walking trail.
In each case, connect it to the drivable road. Lock to a high level to discourage disconnection or deletion.

Sometimes, a Walking Trail is a searchable destination. Usually though, a point place marker at each important trailhead will be more useful to wazers.

Finally, when very obvious trails cross roads -- such as in the case of converted railroad right-of-ways ("Rails to Trails") -- mapping a Walking Trail at the crossing may help orient drivers. But be careful. Even a walking trail disconnected from all roads can cause routing problems. In some cases, it may be better to use the Pedestrian Boardwalk road type.

Naming

If destinations are addressed via a Walking Trail, it is essential that the Walking Trail be named accordingly so that routing to the addresses will work. For other routing situations, Walking Trails should be named to alert drivers that they must leave their car. For example, a Walking Trail connecting the two sides of a train station may be named "Station Access Path".

Discouraged uses
It is best not to map walkways unless they support driving Wazers in reaching their destinations. When they are not needed, they should be removed to protect routing and to keep the map simple.

As of March 2015, long bike paths or walkways should not be mapped in dense urban areas. This is most important when they parallel drivable roads or run near Waze or Google destination points or areas. This is because Walking Trails distort Waze routing to any destination they run near.

In less-dense areas, long Walking Trails might be less harmful, as long as they are not connected to the drivable roads. On the other hand, some new editors will see these as examples and add more walking trails.

Short walkways in small parks are uneeded if they serve no destinations and are not useful landmarks, and should be removed from the map.

Substituting Pedestrian Boardwalks

As of March 2015, the Pedestrian Boardwalk might not cause routing problems. If it is useful for orienting wazers while driving, a pedestrian boardwalk may be used to show trails. If it is not useful for helping Wazers find their way, it should be removed. The map should not create the impression that waze is for use when walking, running, or cycling.
voludu2
Send a message
Last edited by voludu2 on Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by voludu2
I removed the confusing attribution .... and did a little more simplifying.

I've been working with non-native speakers, so I've been trying to simplify my writing lately.
It is difficult to write, but not difficult for others to read.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
I have made some more small changes, above.

And I have a question. Why not use walking trails close to, but disconnected from drivable roads to help Wazers find the walkway without telling them to drive on it? This could create a route to the gazebo or the statue of liberty but give the destination flag where they should buy tickes to the statue of liberty ferry, for example.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
The question is specifically about the special cases where walking trails are recommended, as above.

For example -- the Statue of Liberty Ferry.

Why not keep the walking trails, as they are at the Statue of Liberty ferry, but disconnect them from the ferry-terminal end. It is a pedestrian-only ferry.

So you get the "stop flag" at the nearest ferry terminal to your location.

And then the lack of a continuation path encourages you to turn off Waze for the pedestrian portion of the trip.
voludu2
Send a message

voludu2
Send a message
Last edited by voludu2 on Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by voludu2
I think I agree with PesachZ

Walking trails, used in the places we would ordinarily expect to see walking trails, are a problem.

If a walking trail is really needed as a landmark, Pedestrian boardwalk might do better, with less risk to routing.

It seems there are some exceptional cases of walking trails having legitimate use:
* To allow wazers to beat traffic with routing to different sides of the same destination, such as the statue of liberty ferry ports or a train station that is a little bit far from the nearest crossing.
* In certain exceptional cases of wazers already polluting the traffic data on foot or on their bikes.

It seems to me that a road type "invisible trail" would be beneficial here. It is in line with Waze' stated goals of providing the best traffic routing for vehicles, and with its future plans to be continue to develop for vehicular traffic only.

It would help prevent "pedestrian pollution" and by not showing on the clients, would not encourage more wazers to waze while walking.

Waze should love this idea.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
I agree. The names for these road types cause cognitive dissonance.

If they were called "urgh" and "blurgh" it would be less confusing.
voludu2
Send a message