Australia

Moderators: Unholy, ps_au, amitbena

Re: Australia

Postby macneo » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:27 am

That's probably the best way to do it if you have to start from scratch.
My list of priorities usually is:
- connect the segments and create crossroads
- fix the geometry
- check the direction
- write names and set type

Basically, even if you just stop at the first step you already get a basic drivable map, which is a huge thing for a starting community. All other pieces are just to make it better and actually useful.
macneo
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby jcleeland » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:47 am

Hi everyone,

I'm in Melbourne - I've been mapping the East and the North! It really _IS_ addictive.

I'm looking forward to seeing other cars driving about!

Jason
jcleeland

Postby aualby » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:25 am

Great to see someone in the Bunbury Region, Western Australia doing a fantastic job of making the map. Keep up the good work.

Aualby.
aualby

Postby aualby » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:09 am

The entire Length of South Street has been mapped and added now as a Primary Street. It should appear in the next 24 hours.

aualby
aualby

Postby karjan » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:42 am

Hey, just joined up a week ago. Mapped most of the main streets in my suburb (Parmelia/Kwinana)
Seen you around the place a few times aualby, but you dont have a ping-able client yet :lol:

Been good fun so far getting km's logged and roads created, altho I'm pretty sure my wife thinks Im crazy now. (If she didn't already!)

Seeyas on the road.

Edit: who is the area manager for Perth? Excuse the spam of roads to be deleted ;)
Waze on Android, Motorola Milestone | Golf MKV GTI
karjan

Postby coconha » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:41 pm

hi mcneo,

I read again you priority list, but I am not sure I totally agree with it. Let me explain...
I agree that getting the connectivity right is the first important thing. It is very nice when you can already perform a "Get Directions" on the life map and see that all roads between those 2 points are correctly connected.

However, I do not agree with leaving naming for last. For example, to uniquely identify an address, in Australia one needs number, street, suburb and state. Currently some of us have being coding the "city" field with a suburbs-state pair. Once Waze guys implement the state field, they will be able to split our existing suburbs-state pairs in their database for us (i.e. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1624)

Therefore, having a few early streets with the "city" label, lets the Waze client new road paving functionality automatically label the "city" field correctly in 95% of brand new streets. That seems to save a lot of manual entry work.
coconha

Postby NathanLi » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:00 am

Ah, thats good to know about the plan for auto suburb / state separation in the future. I have recently started to map Canberra and was wondering about that, as I had seen examples of both. I was just doing suburb :oops: . I will go back and correct that. I'm guessing there is no way to do a rename of an existing 'city'?
NathanLi

Postby coconha » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:38 pm

Hi NathanLi, I think I saw in some of the posts from sketch that you could email alpha and ask them to do the renaming for you.
coconha

Postby coconha » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:11 am

Hi, did a bit of research on the topic of road classification. If anyone is interested please check viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1809&p=17356&sid=f21c294f2960990a81994cd8d5aad7bc#p17356
coconha

Postby quicklier » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:16 pm

Hey all,
Also (very) new to Waze and have been set as an Area Manager for a big chunk of Melbourne.
Have redesigned the CBD - WHAT A MESS!

Have spent quite a bit of time redesigning the M1, it's pretty tough and am only 50% through the Montague St interchange (I'd love to have some aerial mapping that was slightly better detail).

Also worked on the Citylink/Tullamarine freeway out past the Ring Road.

Unfortunately, nothing that I've done within cartouche is showing on my iPhone or the 'Live map'.
As a result I've stopped making any further updates as I'm worried my hours of contribution will be for nothing.

Once/If it gets updated I'll continue working on the M1 (will probably just focus on the area between the bridges and the tunnels until I'm happy with their alignment and connectivity.
quicklier

PreviousNext

Return to Australia