Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by AlanOfTheBerg
bmitch3020 wrote:And if the add-ons using your API are able to break things, then your API needs work.
There is no API. This is clever highjacking of the data objects available.
bmitch3020 wrote:At least we have the situation where everyone wants a good result, and no one is trying to be malicious, so any problems will likely be solved by both sides working together.
The coders are not, I agree. But the arena of ethics comes into play here. There are people who want to be malicious. The map editor has been a careful balance of functionality and restrictions meant to make it annoying enough to those wanting to do bad things to the map, like deleting thousands of roads, that they go find other things to destroy. With the ability to delete thousands of segments in a single edit with the extended tools, we are now making it more likely that someone will do something purposely malicious. Just because it doesn't happen doesn't mean it won't. The wider the door opens, the more likely it becomes.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
To be accurate, the extended tools are not interfacing directly with the server at all, only the objects loaded in the browser. A mere detail, but an important one.

--
If it looks strange, or I used bad grammar or misspelled anything, it's my phone's fault.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
razor2k wrote:OK...finally got it into FF Greasemonkey :D Everything seems to work randomly ( New editor is extremely buggy) except allow all drives. I am level 4 and wondering if this is also a bug or just not working period?
The only thing currently buggy about the editor right now is the landmarks layer and its effects on other functions. At least, that I know of off the top of my head.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
ET has proven over and over again to be abused globally. Just because you can build it doesn't mean you should.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
razor2k wrote:Ok Alan, let me play devils advocate here. You have the respect of just about everyone on the forum. But how did you rack up your points? I'm sure it was with the use of ET...right?
Nope. I have previously used ET to look for city names incorrectly assigned to segments. I have recently (2-3 months ago) used ET to unlock a couple hundred improperly locked residential streets in Hawaii. So, you could give me maybe up to 300 edits using ET. Otherwise, no, no use of ET at all. I don't even have it installed. For the Hawaii unlocks, I downloaded it, used it, deleted it.

The majority of users getting 100k points in a day around the world now is almost exclusively attributable to abusing the current ET. There are other ways I am sure.

I am just as likely to site and make 100 changes to a single segment to align it to GPS points/aerials as I am to go solve map problems or update requests. And those 100 changes which can take up to 5 minutes, will get me 1 edit. But when you can easily spend 20-40 hours per week doing map editing, it's easy enough to rack up a lot of edits.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
doomedtx wrote:In my area, there are dozens and dozens of towns with little or no drive data. Fixing them requires comparison with authorized data, lots of straightening out, lots of deletion, etc. At the end of the process it's far too tedious to select every junction to be sure the drives have been allowed.
Actually, it isn't too tedious. It's what the non-ET users have been doing for years. I do small towns all the time. There is a lack of patience in the world.... I, and many others, have gotten to hundreds of thousands of edits without using ET, or very limited usage. Why can't you and everyone else, do the same?

Using ET to select an entire town, turn all roads 2-way and allow all turns is sloppy. I've seen this done more time than I can count and had to clean up the mess, setting 1-ways back they way they should, disabling all those left turns across the median, etc. It wastes more of my time to fix the problems caused. Not the fault of ET directly, but without it, it would at least make it more painful to the idiot who misused it. Whole towns changed so all streets have the same name, some towns completely deleted.

In the hands of conscientious users, it can be used for great good. But in the hands of morons, saboteurs, or the inexperienced, it can cause great damage. And what measure do we use to filter those types of users out? Those who have been around long enough to make it to 200, 300, 400k edits already. If you stick around for that long, chances are you aren't going to be stupid. How else do you propose we ensure only the "good" editors are allowed to use it?
doomedtx wrote:Yet another counter argument: the roundabout tool can destroy more area far more quickly but is available to every level 0 (or 1, whatever they are now) editor right off the bat.
Not true in my testing. A roundabout will only delete roads within its radius which are also selectable at that zoom level. ET is the same. So they both operate within the same selectability rules. They are pretty much equal.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by Alcolo47
Hi, my first post on this topic.

For the edition of alternate street names,
Since the editor does not allow it, WME Ext tools won't do it. Maybe I can do it but for this, I have to reach the red line: The Waze team has removed alternate names editions, it's not my job to put it back.
RallyChris wrote:Just because you can, doesn't mean you should
My limits are:
  • Don't interact with server.
  • For edition, change internal datas with Waze functions (or with modified waze function like I done with applySegmentEditDetails)
Alcolo47
Emeritus Local Champ
Emeritus Local Champ
Send a message

Post by Alcolo47
Thank you !
The new version is avaible with this patch.
Alcolo47
Emeritus Local Champ
Emeritus Local Champ
Send a message

Post by Alcolo47
invented wrote:WME Ext. tools V1.3.6.1

Tells me under 'Segment List' that Canadian roads are set to "USA" under "Cntry". This is not the case.
Correction done in V1.3.7
Alcolo47
Emeritus Local Champ
Emeritus Local Champ
Send a message

Post by Alcolo47
ok, I'll add a test for the next release.
Alcolo47
Emeritus Local Champ
Emeritus Local Champ
Send a message