Post by PesachZ
Fredo-p wrote:
Fredo-p wrote:Did you first get consensus from everyone before you made that change? ;)
Since when did we forget how to take a joke?

Also, will this include Live Map updates as well? I would like to have Lime Maps included in the map updated.
We don't have as clear a picture of how livemap updates, but I see no reason not to include what we do know;
The routing updates with the tiles for the app, but the displayed roads and graphic update slower (~once a week maybe).

Sent from Android using Tapatalk
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
https://s.waze.tools/gc.pngNYhttps://j.mp/1xPiWC8https://j.mp/1C9mUY2
Formal Mentoring, Wiki
Useful Wiki pages
URs & etiquette | WME | Editing Manual | Quick-Start Guide | Best Map Editing Practices | Junctions
State specific Wiki | Forum

Post by PesachZ
Fredo-p wrote:I can tell you for a fact that Live Map updates are slower than a geriatric slug on a salted snowed-in street. Maybe we can ask Karen to get an official word from the Devs. Last time I tested, it took 2+ weeks for place area additions/changes to show in Live Map. It also took almost one week for road changes to show.
Keep in mind place area changes don't trigger an update, so it may not have been included in the first batch of updates after you made the change.
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
https://s.waze.tools/gc.pngNYhttps://j.mp/1xPiWC8https://j.mp/1C9mUY2
Formal Mentoring, Wiki
Useful Wiki pages
URs & etiquette | WME | Editing Manual | Quick-Start Guide | Best Map Editing Practices | Junctions
State specific Wiki | Forum

Post by sketch
I'm confident that geometry, street name, and landmark changes will trigger tile updates. I've heard suspicions that time-based segment restrictions will not.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
kentsmith9 wrote:
sketch wrote:I'm confident that geometry, street name, and landmark changes will trigger tile updates. I've heard suspicions that time-based segment restrictions will not.
Good feedback. I assume your confidence on "street name" is based on actual map field (yours or someone else) testing. I am curious because I was thinking at one point I tried changing the name fields of a road and that did not trigger the update, but it did not make sense to me. So if you know that change alone will trigger the update, I am good with that.

For landmark changes, are you grouping 1) geometry changes, 2) entire landmark shifting, and 3) any edits to the name fields as all individually able to trigger a tile update?

Since the landmarks are on a different layer than roads, do we "know" any layer change that triggers a tile update will update all layers?
Others have reported that tweaking geometry is an effective way of getting time-based restrictions to take effect on the next tile update.

Honestly, I may be mixing experience and conjecture, but I would imagine that anything that would actually visibly affect a tile (so, geometry, names, and road type) would lead to a tile update. (I know for a fact that road type does it, at least.) It seems that even landmark type can have an effect if the type change leads to a color change in the client — something in the infrastructure made it so "River / Stream" are sent to the client as a grey landmark rather than as a blue one, and when I noticed and routed through a number of affected tiles, they were all changed.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
I changed a road name on March 23; the last tile update for NA is to March 22 22:00 UTC, so I'm waiting on that to test.

I just made a few changes at various shopping malls to test the landmarks — on one, I changed the landmark name; on another, I changed the landmark geometry; on a third, I removed the (nonstandard, I know) parking lot road names. Once the relevant tile update goes through I'll check them all.

This is harder to test with any certainty now that the 10% tile update process has been implemented (right?).
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
I don't remember, but I believe it was within the past few weeks. Probably between 1-3 weeks ago. I couldn't find anything with a Google site search, so it may have been in a Champs forum.

From what I understand, the 10% tile update process updates 10% of all tiles with each update, in case any changes that wouldn't force a tile update have been made to the map (say, time-based restrictions). So, if I update a tile to test tile update triggering, there's presumably a 10% chance my results will be irrelevant.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Sounds good to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Nothing there on time-based restrictions, at least TBSRs? Does "turn restrictions" encompass TBTRs?
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by TTJustin12
voludu2 wrote:At one time, all changes to the map happened at the time the tile they were on was updated.
So "map tiles" covered all the ways map updates happened.

Now, "map updates" includes
* updates that happen when the tile is updated (such as new places, creation or edits to segments, house number) - some trigger tile update while others do not
* updates that happen immediately (such changes to place names and other place details (?), creation or edits to closures)
* updates to search index -- once a HN or residential place address is saved, it might be uploaded with the tile it is on, but might not replace previous results in the address search index until some future date

I would like to generalize this page to cover all the ways in which the map gets updated, call it "map updates" or something similar, and keep this current page title as a redirect.

I would like to see this added to the Wiki. As a newer editor learning the ropes and climbing the ranks I am constantly directed and referencing the Wiki. A page dedicated to such things referenced as "Map Updates" would work as well as still having the "Tile Updates" page that is also just as significant. It would be really nice to have a page to reference that show pretty much how anything is updated on the map, which I believe the wiki is missing.
TTJustin12
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by voludu2
We have a page called tile updates, with a discussion link to this topic.

I think the page needs to be moved to "Map updates" with redirect.

I just heard that HN changes are updated maybe once or twice a week, regardless of tile update schedule.

Changes to existing places go live immediately(once approved, if they are PURs)
RTCs go live immediately
City polygons are regenerated on some schedule we know very little about.

So it is not all about the tile update schedule anymore.
voludu2
Send a message