Post by gettingthere
AlanOfTheBerg wrote: However, Waze may have no choice if faced with being removed completely from the App Store if it retains "user-selectable functionality."
It seems that the trend with this is for Apple to remove the app first, and ask questions later. If they get a formal request from the government of France, Apple is likely going to remove Waze since it is not in compliance with this law.

So Waze can try to get ahead of this by making the App compliant, wait to see what happens, or have updates ready just in case.

It seems to me that France is an important market to Waze and they won't want their application deemed illegal there.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by gettingthere
Autourdupc wrote:In France, Android is growing-up ! So Apple is not the only market to consider.
I'm android, and most of my friends are Android, not Apple.
Sure, but similar situation. Although I am not a familiar with how Google deals with these types of requests to remove applications from the Android Marketplace.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:With all their data, it seems they are looking to have their own proprietary roadmap, plus possibly all the other rumored things, as well as a huge amount of traffic data.
I have been watching the GPS indicator in settings, location services, system services, traffic and indeed this is often on when I am driving. So Apple surely has the most real time traffic data of any provider. If they are able to harness this data and filter appropriately for users that are not moving with the traffic flow (something that Waze is currently very poor at) they may have a great navigation product with excellent routing around traffic.

Of course it's not likely that all will be well on the initial release. IF they ever release anything....
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
jenncard wrote:Having lived there for three years, I assure you that there is a reason that french is considered "the language of diplomacy" and there really is an art to knowing how to operate within the bounds of the law and yet accomplish what you want
Similar system in Mexico except for it's 'ignore the law and don't get caught'. And if you do get caught negotiate, negotiate, negotiate!
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasea
gettingthere wrote:I think this needs to be addressed on the submitting reports end. If country of Waze use = France, do not allow Police and speed camera alerts to be submitted.

Purge all speed cameras in France.
I totally agree, as this not only effects French residents but also anyone traveling through France. This needs to be done quickly to prevent unnecessary problems with the French police.
jasea
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
Autourdupc wrote:
jasea wrote:Purge all speed cameras in France.
I agree... But you will see the use of wase in France falling down rapidely...
What will Waze gives to French users ?
- Navigation ? Google do the same
- See other wazer ? Many other applications do the same
The main purpose of Waze is police and equivalent... Traffic is also given by Google !
Unless the Euro version of Google Maps is different than the US version, GM doesn't give voice navigation. The interface to get text based navigation isn't very user friendly either. It's great to use as a map, but terrible for navigation. I've also found that GM in the US, whether on the iPhone or on the computer, is the least reliable for correct street names.

That's the Waze advantage...if there are good editors in the area, they're the most accurate and up-to-date maps you can get.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
AlanOfTheBerg wrote: I believe Jason is referring to the iOS Maps application vs. Google Maps? I don't believe Google Maps is available on iOS.
Correct. iOS Maps is Google Maps, but apparently not as functional for navigation as the Google Maps apps available on other platforms.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jenncard
I'll be happy to do my best to throw down some translations, but here is the link to a current discussion on the French forum:
http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 04#p127827

Don't know, but would appear that there are a few folks posting there with a very good understanding of 1) the law itself, and 2) the best way to work within the french system. Having lived there for three years, I assure you that there is a reason that french is considered "the language of diplomacy" and there really is an art to knowing how to operate within the bounds of the law and yet accomplish what you want
jenncard
Send a message
https://img821.imageshack.us/img821/8358/em04.png
Recovering Waze addict, occasional driver and editor in LA.

Post by jenncard
One of my most amusing experiences was listening to my housemate and the insurance agent, once they realized they were supporters of the same political party, figure out how to insure my car. I was there illegally.
jenncard
Send a message
https://img821.imageshack.us/img821/8358/em04.png
Recovering Waze addict, occasional driver and editor in LA.

Post by mahieu50
shirlig wrote:Hi guys,
We have recently addressed this issue.
I have previously mentioned in the French forum that as a global worldwide company, we don't have adaptations for specific countries.
However, wazers who are willing to do so can select which elements will not be displayed on the map. This option can be found in the app's map setting.

Thanks,
Shirli
thank you so much! I have chosen waze because it has not been modified so as to comply with the new french law. icoyote and other popular GPS products are now dead cows in france...
mahieu50
Send a message