Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by sketch
2 things:
  1. Should we add a rule that all tunnels shall be set to negative elevations? All to -3 (unless tunnels cross underwater)?
  2. Should we add text explaining that Street View can be used to determine a curved tunnel's geometry, the location of ramps, etc.?
edit Just found this: viewtopic.php?f=212&t=64030
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
I would imagine whatever Street View says is better than nothing, and nothing is exactly what we have for GPS data in tunnels. I use it sometimes to help in New Orleans, where big old trees can make some roads basically impossible to see from the air.

Regarding the elevation, I'm basically thinking "why not?" It certainly makes sense to have tunnels at a low but not railroad-low elevation—well; underwater tunnels, anyway, rather than tunnels through mountains and all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
kentsmith9 wrote: But before we go through all this, shouldn't we understand what Waze back end does with this information? If they assume a tunnel when below "ground" elevation, what is happening to our underpasses we have below ground?
Yeah, good point. I wasn't there, but from what I understand from the meeting notes, it's to help the merger process understand that there may be a gap in GPS points for a time. So maybe it's not so bad for underpasses either. And I assume anything that does have valid GPS points for the whole time won't trigger that particular merger function. But yes, we should get this info.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by WeeeZer14
I assume tunnels can fall into one of 3 categories:

1.) One single segment covers the entire tunnel and its entrances and exits.
2.) A tunnel that is made up of multiple segments but there is only one way in and out
3.) A tunnel with exits/entrances in the tunnel

Cases 2 and 3 are the ones where I _think_ we run into issues with Waze collecting data. Like I mentioned in discussions on and the wiki for dead ends, it seems that Waze needs to see a drive go through both junctions of a segment to record the data. So that may be difficult in these cases.

If the above assumptions are true, I wonder if we should recommend avoiding case number 2. For instance the tunnels between NY and NJ are two segments because there is a state line in the middle. Maybe these should be made into a single segment? I am not sure how much of an issue these tunnels are having since I haven't used them lately, especially at rush hour, but there has been at least forum post indicating something may be wacky with those tunnels detecting traffic.

We may want to mention that non-tunnels may ACT like tunnels -- canyons and sunken roadways for instance.
WeeeZer14
Send a message
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
[img]https:///V68te[/img]
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator