Post by dokterew
Sask highways and rural roads do need a lot of work still. Around Regina there are barely passable dirt roads that aren't maintained marked as primar, single lane highways with narrow shoulder marked as major highway. I suppose for their local purpose it's appropriate, but definitely not to the standards.
dokterew
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by dokterew
Im looking more closely and can't figure why Hwy 11 from Regina to Saskatoon is not Freeway? If Stoon to PA is Freeway, this stretch most certainly has to be freeway also.
dokterew
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by dokterew
https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... 0,60897452

thinking this one through. I don't believe the highlighted pieces should remain Major highway. If someone is coming to Regina from the North and choose to head Eastbound on ringroad they'll take the loop. Only if you're coming from the south trying to go east on Ring Rd will you have to use the highligted route? Should this be changed to primary street to match the criteria. I do not see an impact to long distance routing?
dokterew
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by dokterew
For anyone that finds this and wants to use it

http://www.highways.gov.sk.ca/adx/aspx/ ... cation.pdf
dokterew
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by dokterew
Just made the trip to Medicine Hat an notice hwy 1 is technically names incorrect. The westbound lanes are named "hwy 1 West", and eastbound lanes named "hwy 1 east". It's clear why someone named them as such but it is not the named of the road and technically died not follow the road meningitis guidelines. I was able to fix up other gets named this away that had been unlocked for me but these areas are still locked.
dokterew
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by dokterew
Being from Saskabush, I would differ "dirt" roads from Gravel roads. many rural unpaved roads are maintained as well as highways, but no asphalt. It can be pretty hit and miss which ones these are and local knowledge can possibly be the only sure thing. Some grids go nice groomed gravel to clay dirt at a moments notice. Both are fine when dry, but get some rain and the dirt roads are impassable, whereas the gravel is no problem. Some gravel roads are the main/common route or #1 alternates from points A-B.
dokterew
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by dokterew
late reply i see. I dont' think they call them anything.

"Go north on 6, and take a right at the 3rd grid past the sign for Town-name. then turn left at the 4th grid right before the big white farm house with the 3 bins across the road from it. We're the 1st farm on the right past the tracks"

If its' for some public place it would be "Go north on 6 about 10 min and follow the sings"
dokterew
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by dokterew
doctorkb wrote:Ok, what if you were calling 911 and trying to give them an address?
It wasn't 911, but when I called the police on something, those were the exact type of directions I gave.
dokterew
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by dokterew
JoelFradette71 wrote:Here is my two cents worth from a local SK'er. We never call a highway a Freeway. It's always a highway, even if it's divided. No on here ever calls it a freeway.
From my experience anything other than a major highway like 16 or 11 is generally referred to as a secondary highway. In most cases those secondary highways only serve to get to small towns or connect between major highways.
Secondary highways can sometimes be pretty good roads but in recent years most of them are falling into disrepair so stretches of them can go from pavement (broken) to grid and back to pavement.
Call 911 in a rural area can get pretty tricky. In most cases if that happens the cops in that area tend to know the residents and where they live or 911 will fix onto GPS co-ordinates. Otherwise it's direction given just like mentioned above.

I work in sales and trying to ship things to small communities is a challenge. Most don't have street addresses. LOL, most of those residents wouldn't even remember their house number if you asked. They would know their box number though. :)
I believe the terms "freeway" vs "highway" are simply classifications used for waze to prioritize routing decisions. If there's "freeway" between points A&B it will route the user to use it rather than route you through highways or other roads that may be slower but a shorter distance.
dokterew
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by EightBitRanger
Makes sense for the most part but here's my two cents:

I would think the only freeways we'd really need would be:
Highway 1 between Alberta and Manitoba.
Highway 11 from Regina to Prince Alberta.
Highway 16 from Alberta to Manitoba.

Pretty much everything else in the 1-99 category could be a major highway if twinned and a minor highway if not? And if sections of highway are fairly short and/or don't go anywhere (Highway 60 branches from Highway 7 and stops once it hits Pike Lake. Short, and a dead end)

You're right about the 100-199 section, there's not really a whole lot to them. I've only been on 106 myself, and its pretty much like any other paved 2-lane highway out in the middle of nowhere.

Everything else seems alright. I try to avoid gravel in my car, but if I had to I'd be more comfortable on any of the 600/700 roads than most Alberta range roads I've been on. Used to take 647 a lot growing up.
EightBitRanger
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png
Samsung Galaxy S4 (SGH-I337M) running Android v4.4.2
Waze v3.7.8.0