The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Incorrect states

Post by AggieJM
I was working some URs in Denton, TX yesterday and discovered that I was seeing 'Alabama', 'Alaska', 'Other' and 'Texas' all listed in the state dropdown. Based on past experience, I knew this meant there were segments with one of those state values in the nearby area. I used the Papyrus extension that shows all the segment data in a list and was able to find and correct most of the incorrect segments. But I had a few questions on the process:

1) If I have corrected all of the incorrect segments to have the proper state value, will the incorrect states be removed from the dropdown immediately? Or does it require a some type of refresh process? I noticed that when I cleaned up all of the 'Alaska' segments, 'Alaska' disappeared from the dropdown list. But today it's back in the list, even though I can't find an 'Alaska' segment in the area.

2) What drives the city names being overlaid on the map? I noticed today that I have "Denton" showing up in 4 different locations over the Denton area. A couple of these correspond with locations where there were 'Denton, AL' or 'Denton, Other' segments yesterday. They're all correct today, but the city names are still displaying (not actually sure they were there yesterday).

3) I have one segment still floating around out there with a blank city and a state of 'Other'. It's only a 80 meter segment, so even with I select it with the Papyrus extension tool, it's hard to locate it on the map. Are there any tricks for finding this little segment? I've been scrolling around the map, but it seems to be an elusive one.

4) Finally, is there a known issue with not being able to update segments selected by the Papyrus extension? If I use the extension to select segments, whenever I update the data on the Properties panel, it just reloads the map but doesn't make any changes. If I manually select the segments, I don't have any issues making updates. I'm using Chrome for my browser.

Thanks for the help!

-Justin
AggieJM
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:3323561

Send a message

Post by AggieJM
Thanks mapcat!

I was using the fact that a state disappeared from the dropdown as a sign that I had successfully cleaned up all the bad segments with that value. But when I saw them show up again this morning and I haven't been able to find a new segment with this value, I figured that maybe there was a back-end refresh process that had to run.

I don't remember seeing the four Denton city tags yesterday, which is probably why I noticed them this morning. I thought I remember hearing once before that there was a back-end process that has to run to update the cities on the map, I was just surprised they showed up today after I cleaned up (so I thought) all the bad values.

I just tried Firefox and it works perfectly, looks like I'll go back to running multiple browsers again. Since my elusive segment is unnamed and so short, I'll just switch it to 'Texas' from 'Other' and leave it unnamed.

Thanks again for the quick answers!
AggieJM
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by AggieJM
One more question...

Does anyone know what the distance from a segment is for a state to show up in the dropdown? I'm panning around the area and seeing 'Alabama', 'Alaska' and 'Other' in the list. I'm trying to nail down an area for each value, just wasn't sure how far I needed to expand out.
AggieJM
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by AggieJM
jasonh300 wrote:My dropdown in Papyrus only shows Louisiana regardless of what state I'm editing in. When I edit in Mississippi, if I create new roads, I have to manually set Mississippi for each segment. I haven't done this much, but enough to have smudged Louisiana all up and down the I-59 corridor. Once I"ve typed it in once, I think it's in the dropdown list, but not until I've typed it in.
Interesting, mine generally only shows 'Texas' until I get to areas right along the TX/OK border. If I move across into OK, then it will only show 'Oklahoma'.

As I move around Denton, I have some areas where it only shows 'Texas', then other areas where I get 'Texas' and 'Alaska', another place where I get 'Texas', 'Alabama' and 'Other', then some areas that only show 'Texas' and 'Other'. I've moved all around the area with the Papryus extension trying to hunt down the bad segments, but I'm not having any luck. I have found some regions where I test a street and only see 'Texas', then I move the map slightly and test the same street again and see 'Texas' and 'Alaska'. I was thinking that meant I was close to the error, but I never found it. This may have to wait for another day with a fresh set of eyes.
AggieJM
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by bgodette
WeeeZer14 wrote:(Remember that the extended tools only can see what Papyrus caches for the given zoom level. So zoom out too far and you can't get the regular street info. Zoom in too close, and you'll be panning for a week and a day)
Oh how I wish the arrow keys would pan the map, with ctrl and alt as modifiers to jump half/full displayed area.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
My dropdown in Papyrus only shows Louisiana regardless of what state I'm editing in. When I edit in Mississippi, if I create new roads, I have to manually set Mississippi for each segment. I haven't done this much, but enough to have smudged Louisiana all up and down the I-59 corridor. Once I"ve typed it in once, I think it's in the dropdown list, but not until I've typed it in.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by mapcat
Good questions...here's what I know:
AggieJM wrote:1) If I have corrected all of the incorrect segments to have the proper state value, will the incorrect states be removed from the dropdown immediately? Or does it require a some type of refresh process? I noticed that when I cleaned up all of the 'Alaska' segments, 'Alaska' disappeared from the dropdown list. But today it's back in the list, even though I can't find an 'Alaska' segment in the area.
I'm not sure what causes them to disappear temporarily. My guess is that you had zoomed in on a slightly different location, and so although you had removed all the Alaska segments on the first view, the second view included some different off-screen segments, at least one of which was set to "Alaska".
2) What drives the city names being overlaid on the map? I noticed today that I have "Denton" showing up in 4 different locations over the Denton area. A couple of these correspond with locations where there were 'Denton, AL' or 'Denton, Other' segments yesterday. They're all correct today, but the city names are still displaying (not actually sure they were there yesterday).
Yes, if there are four Dentons on the map, that means that Denton segments associated with four different states (or other) exist on the map. After you fix them, the extra Dentons will disappear eventually.
3) I have one segment still floating around out there with a blank city and a state of 'Other'. It's only a 80 meter segment, so even with I select it with the Papyrus extension tool, it's hard to locate it on the map. Are there any tricks for finding this little segment? I've been scrolling around the map, but it seems to be an elusive one.
Sometimes it's tricky. Is this a segment that you need to locate in order to add the right city/state? If it's so short that you can't find it on the map--and I'm assuming it's unnamed or you'd be able to find it using another source--you can probably check "no city" for it without causing any problems.
4) Finally, is there a known issue with not being able to update segments selected by the Papyrus extension? If I use the extension to select segments, whenever I update the data on the Properties panel, it just reloads the map but doesn't make any changes. If I manually select the segments, I don't have any issues making updates. I'm using Chrome for my browser.
Extended Tools is optimized for Firefox. I can't get it to work in Chrome either.
mapcat
Send a message
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1

Post by WeeeZer14
Not sure of the radius required to show up on the drop down, but it seems to be a few miles.

Smudged city names do not vanish from the map right away. It is possible that states do not vanish right away in a similar way. My guess is both are tied to the map tile build process.

I use the extended tools in Chrome only. The page refresh is annoying, indeed. The work around is to ctrl/cmd de-select a segment that was highlighted and then ctrl-cmd re-select it to add it back to the group. Then everything is fine with no page refresh.
WeeeZer14
Send a message
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
[img]https:///V68te[/img]
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator

Post by WeeeZer14
The state smudges caused by unnamed road segments are a royal pain. I have tried for a loooong time to clear out the random NC roads that are here in east TN. The extended tools helps a ton, but it is still hard to find what may be a very small road segment.

(Remember that the extended tools only can see what Papyrus caches for the given zoom level. So zoom out too far and you can't get the regular street info. Zoom in too close, and you'll be panning for a week and a day.)

So it isn't just you having trouble :)
WeeeZer14
Send a message
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)

Post by WeeeZer14
bgodette wrote: Oh how I wish the arrow keys would pan the map, with ctrl and alt as modifiers to jump half/full displayed area.
That would be great. Grid searches are easier when you can follow a grid ;)

And it would be helpful when you know you want to trace a smudge in a certain direction.

I wonder if this can be hacked into the extended tools?
WeeeZer14
Send a message