Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by PhoenixofMT
bretmcvey wrote: On the plus side you'll be racking up experience and points in a hurry cleaning things up!
Right? Rename, fix direction, remove soft-turns, remove extra nodes, remove erroneous segments, fix road types, add names if needed; it adds up fast.
PhoenixofMT
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by PhoenixofMT
Ah, thank you. I'll double-check my work.
PhoenixofMT
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by PhoenixofMT
Though I'll point out that my intention is to add these to places where you can pretty much turn completely off the road and essentially make a right or left turn back the way you came. (Technically not a U-turn?) Turnouts intended to give tractors access to fields and similar are often adequate. I don't think I would trust myself to gauge a slope from the satellite, even on a straightaway, to suggest a place for a three-point turn on a highway. :shock:
PhoenixofMT
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by PhoenixofMT
Kinda like that, but without the PLR. Probably a little bigger.
Kinematic wrote: I wouldn't be marking any U-turns on a highway personally. I think there are enough little turnouts in front of ranchers fields that you can make a U-turn safely with out it having to be marked on the map.
The problem is knowing you need to turn around. I've been driving around expanding my editable area (my Area Manager application was approved and soon I'll be able to edit the whole Gallatin valley including some areas outside of cell coverage :D .) When I was taking the scenic route back to Bozeman a few weeks ago, I missed the left turn just north of Wilsall and drove an extra 20 miles before being instructed to turn around in Ringling (adding 40 miles to my trip!) There are tons of places to safely turn around, but since I was unfamiliar with the route and the app covers the purple come-back line with the purple head-out line, I was completely oblivious. I think the Idaho roads with unknown direction contributed to this :x .
On another occasion, I made a wrong turn before setting my destination. I was instructed to continue almost five miles past many unmapped turnarounds before being directed to turn around at the end of someone's driveway :? .

On both these drives, the fact that I needed a U-turn was obscured by the direction to make a normal left turn that would eventually either lead around and back or dead-end with a U-turn.

So basically, I'm watching out for the little turnouts you mention, or nice wide entrances to private driveways, and periodically marking a node there to allow a U-turn. You shouldn't need to drive more than a couple of miles before the client tells you to turn around.
PhoenixofMT
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by PhoenixofMT
It would make for a hell'a long list, but I have an idea:
List every city and town in the state. The MDT site links maps for about 20 urban areas, 100 incorporated, and 200 unincorporated towns. To multiply the amount of data, we could add weighted criteria for each, such as:
Roads mapped and named (25%): %
Correct direction/turns (25%): %
Correct classification (25%): %
Speed limits set (10%): %
Surrounding area (10%): %
Geometry optimized (5%): %

The city name and percent completion would be on the wiki page (just the first line in the example below) and the criteria could be kept in the discussion page. Editors (or maybe just managers) can update them as they work.
Example:

Bozeman - 83.5%
Roads mapped and named (25%): 99%
Correct direction/turns (25%): 99%
Correct classification (25%): 100%
Speed limits set (10%): 40%
Surrounding area (10%): 30%
Geometry optimized (5%): 40%

As an alternative to the percentage for the town on the wiki page (maybe keep it on the discussion page) we could use status indicators to show the condition of the map in an area:
Unknown: No editor has even looked at the area.
Poor: The area has a lot of errors (incorrect unknown-direction or one-way roads, soft turns, incorrect road names/suffixes, alleys mapped as streets or dirt roads, etc.)
Good: The area is at least 50% complete in the top 3 criteria.
Very Good: The area is at least 75% complete in the top 3 criteria.
Finished: The area is at least 95% complete and changes are largely driven by Update Requests.

For even more fun, we could make a similar list of all the highways in the state. Wikipedia lists 5 interstates, 20 US highways, 50 state highways, and about 250 secondary highways. They can each have their own criteria too.

Finally, we can list the national and state forests. (I haven't found a good source for forest service roads yet. I mainly work from the FC map, and there aren't many on it. The only "Fs" roads I've come across were mapped haphazardly from the base map, and several had actually been improved, given a proper name, and incorporated into a nearby town.)

That should cover pretty much everything in the state.

To consolidate this a bit, I would suggest breaking it down into region pages (I've seen maps with between 5 and 12) with links to county pages.

A pretty ambitious wiki editing project, but why think small? Get to it Kinematic! :mrgreen:
PhoenixofMT
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by PhoenixofMT
Ooo! Ooo! House numbers would also make a good criteria!
PhoenixofMT
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by PhoenixofMT
Too broad or did your auto-correct fail?
PhoenixofMT
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by YepItsMeUhHuh
How's it going MT team? I should be back into editing mode this coming weekend for awhile.

One of the other forums I am somewhat active in has transferred to Tapatalk.....so I'm getting familiar with this app now. Everything is beginning to make more sense now.

Sent from TapaTalk
YepItsMeUhHuh
Send a message