City boundaries

Post by PhoenixofMT
What are the guidelines for City label on a given segment? The obvious one is city limits, but what about "urban areas". For example, the MDT map for Bozeman highlights the City Boundary and an Urban Boundary. Should segments within the urban boundary get the city name or No city?
PhoenixofMT
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:17150973

Send a message

Post by TheChrisK
While I could not find an official policy on urban city boundaries, here are my thoughts.

Most municipalities have a hard-set "city limit" but also have a sphere of influence (if you will). The city that I live in has a two mile radius from the city limits in which the city council has control but gathers no tax levy. For all intents and purposes, this two mile radius is does not warrant naming segments with the city name.

With that in mind, it seems that Bozeman has the same if not similar set up. If that is the case, I would use caution in naming streets in the urban boundary. The GIS map for Bozeman (here) shows a definite city boundary. This is what I would use to determine whether or not to add the city name to a segment.

Keep in mind this does not apply to places. If a place has a Bozeman address and zip but does not lie in the city limits, you should still add the full address including the city name.

Let me know if you have any concerns.
TheChrisK
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message
TheChrisK

Country Manager: United States

Post by PhoenixofMT
Thanks! I've used a similar map source to clean up some smudging around Bozeman. Sometimes it feels like I'm being excessively technical when editing large neighborhoods that probably consider themselves part of a nearby town with a surprisingly small sphere of influence.
PhoenixofMT
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Kinematic
Looks great Herrchin. Thank you for working on that. I will modify the Wiki today or tomorrow. I've recently been occupied reworking the wiki page in my sandbox to give it a more refined look.
Kinematic
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message
[img]https:///Evwimo[/img][img]https:///ESnp3j[/img]
Montana Wiki | MT To Do List