Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Show speed limits om roads you drive.

Post by
I'm living in Sweden and I think it must be doneable to get all speeds limit for free for the hole country.

Wouldm´t it bee possible to link this information to the road maps in cases like here? If not please tell why.

BR Floke

POSTER_ID:4925176

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
It's on the roadmap.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by bgodette
R4CLucky14 wrote:There's no sensible, smart way to implement it. And as others have said, there's no real gain from it, except headache.
There really is no gain from adding this, and a long list of downsides, chief amongst them the liability exposure and additional work needed to maintain that data. Get your speed limit information from where your attention should be, the road.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
gordonski wrote:
bgodette wrote: There really is no gain from adding this, and a long list of downsides, chief amongst them the liability exposure and additional work needed to maintain that data. Get your speed limit information from where your attention should be, the road.
And get your information about dangers from there, too? Restricted turns? Watch the signs! Traffic jams? Keep a look ahead! ...seriously?
Nice hyperbole, except there's a difference, those are things you cannot see "from a distance" that AFFECT ROUTING. Speed limits are not.
gordonski wrote:I could do my daily commute completely without the assistance of waze. But it's meant to maker things easier for you. I never drove myself in the US, so I'm not sure what it looks like over there. Here in Europe we have roads where speed limits vary a lot. Outside of cities Germany has a general speed limit of 100km/h (~60mph). But these streets could also be limited to any lower value. Furthermore streets with two lanes per direction or where lanes have constructional separations, the limit is 130km/h (~80mph). In cities the general limit is 50km/h (~30mph) except for multilane roads or seprated lanes where it can be up to 70km/h (~45mph). On highways there's no general limit. However there are many sections which are limited. We also have dynamic limits, which are set automatically or manually when traffic increases, or visibility decreases. Sometimes with individual limits for each lane. On 10 miles of highway the speed limit may vary from 60km/h (~40mph) (road construction) to "whatever your car can do". But few hours later the maximum limit could be only boring 120km/h (~75mph).
If waze offered a feature to inform you about the current speed limit, I'm convinced that over here many wazer would use this feature. I definitely would!
Thank you for listing seven reasons why this is a bad idea and effectively impossible to implement without giving wrong information, let alone actually keep the information current.
gordonski wrote:Everyone knows, that waze doesn't offer any official information. When you drive too fast because waze told you so and you get caught, it's still your own fault, just like it's your own fault when you take a disallowed turn or go the wrong way in a oneway street. Waze is an assistant, not an autopilot or a controller you must obey in any situation. I guess this is clear to all of us.
So why add something with the appearance of official information, that WILL BE WRONG? Bad information is useless to the driver, is just noise and will be ignored as demonstrated by EVERY navigation device/app that has added speed data.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
lchamp423 wrote:It seems that the thought of this causes a lot of resentment among the old hands here, ...
It's not resentment, it's resistance to the cold hard realization that it will fall on the community editors to maintain something that adds zero benefit to Waze's primary focus of traffic avoidance. The data will be wrong the day it's imported from whatever source, and will be a Sisyphean task to keep it up to date, all so the driver doesn't have to actually look anywhere but the bumper of the car in front of them.

Is it so much to ask of people to actually be aware of their surroundings? To actually do the "road, instruments, road, mirrors, road" sequence they're supposed to do, instead of going down the road in the passing lane with their turn signal on.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
ryryryry87 wrote:There are no known (to me, yet) issues to the map in my city, and I constantly look on the map for stuff to do. I am bored because I just wait for URs so I have something to edit. If I had speed limit data to input, I would have something to do with my free time again :)
Lancaster may be free of UR/MP but this is far from done:
lancaster-z4.jpg
(235.04 KiB) Downloaded 1527 times
These are closer to done:
NewOrleans-z4.jpg
(231.75 KiB) Downloaded 1527 times
Denver-z4.jpg
(231.19 KiB) Downloaded 1524 times
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
CBenson wrote:
bgodette wrote:Lancaster may be free of UR/MP but this is far from done
Well if Lancaster is routing fine
Is it?
CBenson wrote:aren't you simply showing that node clean up isn't necessarily needed.
Being clear of UR/MP only means they're being closed, not that it's free of routing problems.
lancaster-z5.jpg
(71.23 KiB) Downloaded 1619 times
RevCon on a one-way, along with wrong-way speed data.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
dmcconachie wrote:
luftms wrote:I agree!
With what?
Hopefully that it's a waste of time and resources for a feature 90% will turn off due to it having too much wrong data.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by BlazeTool
Speed limit is an instantaneous value (if at any instant you exceed the limit you are speeding, regardless of average speed). Comparing an instantaneous value to an average value is fairly useless, it's comparing apples and oranges.

IMHO giving flawed data is worse than giving no data.
BlazeTool
Send a message

Post by cageybear
i guess i am against gps advising me of the speed limit - on the basis that i am supposed to be awake and aware of where I am. I am not a robot.

A while ago I was listening to a police officer on the radio and he reminded the listeners that speed limits are MAXIMUM speed, not TARGETS. Problem is that some people might think that the satnav was telling them the speed they should be doing, rather than what it mustn't exceed.
cageybear
Send a message
Calling in from Bracknell in Berkshire
Viewsonic ViewPad 7 powered by Android

CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902