Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Live Wazer updates

Post by xRedfoxx
I would like to see an option where your personal location is updated every 5 or 10 seconds. A user could turn it off entirely or set to update every 20 seconds, whatever their comfort level is.

I think it would be cool to honk at each other.
xRedfoxx

POSTER_ID:4807354

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
It's been suggested to have this as a user option. Right now, Waze is erring on the side of caution and privacy, which I think is correct until they have an option. But, this has been brought up before, and noted that the amount of data potentially flowing to the clients would be a massive increase from the Waze servers compared to what they are doing now.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
RallyChris wrote:Maybe if the strain on the infrastructure is the primary worry, they could allow phone to phone connections for those on your friends list. This could put more strain on the phone, but of course this is opt in... so you choose to have the added traffic/battery drain.
An intriguing idea. Not sure how you do peer-to-peer when not on the same wifi network though. Perhaps that's possible.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by gettingthere
xRedfoxx wrote:No. 2: Refresh Rate: 20 seconds (best battery life), 10 seconds (moderate battery life), 5 seconds (worst battery life)
Also keep in mind that the refresh interval directly impacts the Waze infrastructure since this is a call to the server each time to update this information. In addition, this is two-way data transfer from each Wazer. So if Wazer A would is running at 2 minutes, and you want to set it at 30 seconds - Wazer A is not going to update on the map in your application every 30 seconds since the Waze servers don't yet know where Wazer A is since it did not report the current position yet.

If there are 10,000 Wazers connecting with one server, and they are now updating their GPS points, position etc. every 30 seconds instead of every 2 minutes - that could be up to 4x the data transfer. (yes, for GPS points specifically the amount of data transferred is the same in total, just more often)

Just giving a perspective on how this seems like a simple request, but there are other impacts of this type of change.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by MarionOaks
xRedfoxx wrote: No. 1: Options for who: Everyone Y/N Friends (Y/N) Member Groups (Y/N)

Are you sure? (Y/N)
I like that option. I would gladly show my position to all my friends on Waze with no issue. Most people only have their real life friends (or people they know) on their waze friends list, so that shouldn't be a terrible option.
MarionOaks
Send a message
Map Editor Level: 4
Current project: Map Reports/Speed Limit Verification
Next Project(s): TBD
Devices:
Dell Inspiron for edits
Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge for the road

Post by MarionOaks
I can only assume most wazers charge their phone while using Waze in their car, cause smart phone batteries wouldn't last half a day running a GPS app for an hour without charging lol
MarionOaks
Send a message
Map Editor Level: 4
Current project: Map Reports/Speed Limit Verification
Next Project(s): TBD
Devices:
Dell Inspiron for edits
Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge for the road

Post by RallyChris
Maybe if the strain on the infrastructure is the primary worry, they could allow phone to phone connections for those on your friends list. This could put more strain on the phone, but of course this is opt in... so you choose to have the added traffic/battery drain.
RallyChris
Send a message
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/d/d9/W ... 00k_5c.png

Post by the1who
Before the beta Android app, I ran on Waze for about 1.5 hours without much drain in the battery, in the country/remote areas of Iowa. Battery drain was minimal, I was worried at first, but I was surprised.

On another note, I think that maybe there could be a way to setup servers like they do for say Half-Life? Oh alright, I'll come out with my game side and say Counter-Strike. If you direct certain traffic to the nearest server, say like the game servers of Dallas and Chicago as the major high speed servers known in this Midwest area, then you could do more of the higher update rates without much interference to the infrastructure I'd imagine.

I can only see it now...select your local DM-Waze server lol
the1who
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message
Global and US Champ, USA PLN A/RC Emeritus, Nevada State Manager and US Country Manager
Android Beta Leader
Direct E-mail: vegas.waze@gmail.com

Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra - 14.0 | Waze 4.99

Post by xRedfoxx
Cool. The only thing I'm not sold on is the lack of this feature, which is included on other applications. I get this isn't a tracking software, BUT.....

An application that combines a good traffic map plus a way for me to keep up with my friends and family AND (hint hint) that can overlay weather radar.......
xRedfoxx
Send a message

Post by xRedfoxx
Ok....after further thought, the ap should come with options with the default just the way it is...for security purposes. But a user should be able to change what others see...and how often it is updated....to save battery life.

No. 1: Options for who: Everyone Y/N Friends (Y/N) Member Groups (Y/N)

Are you sure? (Y/N)

Regardless what you set here, there would still be the current setup where the general public can see you based off the current 20 second updates. However, some folks might want to turn that off too. I mean, an ex-girlfriend doesn't need to know where you are at 20 second intervals...... :P

No. 2: Refresh Rate: 20 seconds (best battery life), 10 seconds (moderate battery life), 5 seconds (worst battery life)
xRedfoxx
Send a message