Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by CBenson
bgodette wrote:Lancaster may be free of UR/MP but this is far from done
Well if Lancaster is routing fine, aren't you simply showing that node clean up isn't necessarily needed.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
You can learn some about the highlighting tool here: http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Comm ... d_Segments
Although, I believe you need to be at area manager level or above to see the junction highlighting options.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by Daknife
Adding speed limit data is a good idea, it will allow for more accurate initial estimates of travel time (though it needs to be able to dynamically update for those of us who do speed). And contrary to the poster above who dislikes GPS devices that give the speed, I really like them. I mount my GPS on my windshield or dash and that puts the screen and my travel speed closer to my field of vision than the speedometer.

The warnings can be helpful for people driving in a new area who might have missed a speed limit sign and not realize a change in the legal limit was just made. Also having that data, with those warnings helps us to see where more corrections need to be made. That was one really annoying thing with my last GPS before I discovered waze, there were so many wrong speed limits encoded that the data was often of little use.

But with Waze we can get the warning that we're traveling 50 in a 25, see the sign on the side of the road saying the speed is actually 50 and fix it. (A very real and specific problem with my last device. I tried reporting and fixing it through that GPS provider's site but two quarterly updates had passed without it being fixed.)

I know I'm new to the forums but I feel this would be a very valuable addition to the system. And showing the limit on the screen can both warn a driver of a changed limit, warn them of the fact that they are going rather fast, or let them know the data needs to be fixed and fix it. As to keeping up with temporary changes, why is that any harder with keeping up with any other temporary construction issues? A one day slowdown wouldn't need to be posted but a multi-month construction project like I constantly see warnings for is no issue. And frequently changing roads is why we love the ability to edit in waze.
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by Daknife
fvwazing wrote:Believe me, you will switch that darn beep off in no time.
+100 I don't want no stinking beep. Maybe it's proprietary or copyrighted but I like the way my old Tom Tom did it, the color behind the the speed changed from black to red if you were exceeding what they thought the posted speed limit was.

But cruising the interstate in Utah at the speed limit will get you run over much of the time. So a constant beeping while just trying to move safely with the flow of traffic would greatly increase my cell phone costs as I'd end up throwing it out the window every time I drove on the Freeway.
Daknife
Send a message
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by Daknife
gettingthere wrote:
lchamp423 wrote:When I see a police patrol, I quickly check the Garmin to confirm my speed limit in case I missed the last sign. Yeah, it would be nice if the Waze software included this. It seems that the thought of this causes a lot of resentment among the old hands here, so I'll keep using the Garmin for now...and the Waze, too...
So when you get pulled over for speeding, good luck convincing the police officer that you were following the speed limit on your Garmin and not the signs posted on the road :P
If you are polite and courteous it can indeed result in the officer deciding to let you off with a warning when you explain that you had missed the last sign and according to the Garmin you thought you were within the limits. It's not a guarantee, but I've gotten out of many tickets by pulling over as soon as I realized the cop was moving and being polite and courteous and acknowledging that I understand why they pulled me over. Giving him a reason why you were so confused about the speed limit just helps him decide to be nice, if he's in the mood for it. And with Waze running you could even make a point of making a report of an incorrect speed limit with him right there watching you do it. If he's truly trying to reduce speeding and not just generating revenue then he'll appreciate you proactively taking a step to help others know the speed limits. You can even ask him where the current limit starts. Then when he walks away hit the speed trap warning as well just to further help your fellow wazers. ;) ;)
Daknife
Send a message
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by Daknife
cageybear wrote:i guess i am against gps advising me of the speed limit - on the basis that i am supposed to be awake and aware of where I am. I am not a robot.

A while ago I was listening to a police officer on the radio and he reminded the listeners that speed limits are MAXIMUM speed, not TARGETS. Problem is that some people might think that the satnav was telling them the speed they should be doing, rather than what it mustn't exceed.
That's a weak argument, one that could be made against the peed "suggestion" signs as well.

Particularly if as I suggested Waze were to do like other aps and devices that do track the speed limits and change the color of the speed box to red when you exceed the posted limit. Those services see no legal problems with such a feature and I doubt waze would either.
Daknife
Send a message
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by Daknife
That's why I quickly voiced against any kind of audio warning. I can ignore a color change if I choose (or more accurately, I'd simply expect it to nearly always be red). If they were to make it do something annoying like flash, or ding or do anything to attract my attention other than simply changing color then yes I too would be against it as I agree with not wanting it nagging me. But it can be quite easy to miss a speed limit sign and thus miss a change, and it would be nice to have a visual indicator as to when I was taking my wallet in my own hand while driving (risk a ticket) for in case I did miss a change in the speed limit.

Here in Utah even the freeways can vary in the speed limit. In metro areas it's 65, in most rural areas it's 75 though there is a stretch of one freeway that is 70, and there are sections in the very rural central and southern parts of the state that are 80. But it's not 80 from one point on, it bounces back and forth between 75 and 80 a few times. We wish they'd just make it all 80 but they haven't yet.
Daknife
Send a message
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Daknife
Send a message
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by Daknife
Yet if it's such an impossible task to accomplish using crowd sourcing, then how pray tell did the other stand-alone nav gadgets (Tom Tom, Garmin etc...) get their speed limit databases built without the power of crowdsourcing?

They aren't perfect but there weren't that many areas where my TomTom was wrong on what the posted speed limit was. Somehow they managed to get fairly accurate data, and they didn't have the crowd sourcing and device tracking abilities that Waze has. I think this is no more an unrealistic problem than any other mapping issue Waze has faced. Countries with no roads at all, which now have very complete maps without ever getting a basemap import. Countries that had pretty good user generated maps and then got a basemap import and within weeks the maps are looking navigable again (at least in major population areas). As TomTom and Garmin were able to come up with this data I'm thinking there's a national database available, and even if not, Waze could simply not show a speed on any segments that didn't have that data, and as users notice that, and edit, those segments will get filled in. Heck it'll give newbies in well edited areas some work to do to get points.
Daknife
Send a message
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by Daknife
Either that or they'll report or correct the data themselves, and the speed limit data will soon be far more accurate than on any other service out there. Just as letting people drive on incomplete maps is a complete waste of time, and naming streets or numbering houses is a complete waste of time. Your logic simply does not follow in regards to a user edited platform.

And as to the $$$$ reply, yes they paid for the speed limit data from some source. Waze can get that same data for free within a very short period of time.
Daknife
Send a message
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint