Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clients

[ img ] This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: MapSir

Re: BI- prefix for interstate business loops

Postby dbraughlr » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:50 pm

davielde wrote:"Business" is understandable to the ear whether it is a loop or a spur. I know that "Business Interstate" encompasses both loops and spurs …

How about "BI-" → business eye to be generic for loops and spurs?
dbraughlr

Postby davielde » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:35 pm

dbraughlr wrote:I would expect BI- to be pronounced bee eye without a TTS abbreviation translation.
My proposal is to add "BI-" to the TTS translation so that it is read how ever it is that we want it to be read, and to the shield translation to get a green shield.

When I first started Wazing, I was very frustrated with numerous "Bus" TTS instructions where I drove. When I ranked high enough and became an AM, anything in my assigned area with "Bus" (per the Road Naming (USA) wiki page...) transitioned to "Business" spelled out like txemt stated.

"Business" is understandable to the ear whether it is a loop or a spur. I know that "Business Interstate" encompasses both loops and spurs, but in my region, that term is not used. We just say "Business Loop" and "Business Spur" depending on the route. Is "Business Interstate" used in common speech and signage outside of the Midwest? If so, I would be fine with "BI" but would likely still retain "Business" on local route names so as not to interfere with "loop" and "spur" signage and local speech. Perhaps add "BL" and "BS" to supplement?
davielde

Postby dbraughlr » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:51 am

txemt wrote:It'll say "bee elle" or "bl"

I would expect BI- to be pronounced bee eye without a TTS abbreviation translation.
My proposal is to add "BI-" to the TTS translation so that it is read how ever it is that we want it to be read, and to the shield translation to get a green shield.
dbraughlr

Re: Android 3.0.0.991 - official feedback post

Postby jenncard » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:28 pm

I am really the only one dealing with "one half" Rd, and the like?
jenncard

Location: Somewhere in Los Angeles, but probably on my bicycle

Mispronounced street name (TTS issue?)

Postby dav6767 » Tue May 09, 2017 11:18 pm

For at least the last two months, my Waze iOS app has been mispronouncing the San Francisco, California (USA) street name "Fell" as "Fayel".

How is this corrected? Is it something I can do myself?

I see various postings in the Waze forums about mispronounciation of place names, many mentioning the client TTS tables. But I have not yet figured out where or to whom I should address such issues, thus my creation of this new topic.
Last edited by dav6767 on Wed May 10, 2017 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dav6767

Hogestown TTS

Postby TheRealOrdizzle » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:58 pm

Hogestown should be pronounced Hoagstown. As an example in local media: http://fox43.com/2015/10/07/car-slams-i ... unty-home/

Currently, it is being mispronounced as Ho-guesstown.
TheRealOrdizzle

Col. H. Weir Cook Drive - Indianapolis International Airport

Postby HossCartwright59 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:57 pm

Could someone direct me on how to get the pronunciation of this road fixed? See below from my posting to Waze map editor. Thank you in advance.

You received a comment on the map issue you reported, from 04.03.2017 on E 56th St, Lawrence - “The word "Col." in Col. H. Weir Cook Memorial Drive at the Indianapolis International Airport is not being pronounced correctly in Waze directions. It should be pronounced "Colonel" (i.e., same as "kernel"). He was a World War I flying ace and aviation pioneer from the Indianapolis area. Thank you. ”.

An editor from the Waze mapping community wants to solve the problem, but needs some more information.

enfcer74 on 04.03.2017 08:46 PM:

Thank you for the report on this. But the in app reports comes to the Volunteer Map Editing Community, and we have no access to change the Text To Speech Algorithms. You will need to submit that to the Forum Pages, and hopefully someone there can take it to the Developers, or have a solution for it. I believe the correct forum section is here https://www.waze.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3
HossCartwright59

BI- prefix for interstate business loops

Postby dbraughlr » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:34 am

txemt wrote:I've been spelling out "business". I'd rather have waze say "I-20 business" instead of "I-20 bus".

That's great if you want to do do that. Why don't you update the wiki so that we can update them all?

I propose that for a long-term solution for correct shields that we standardize a prefix ("BI-") for interstate business loops. Thus BI-20 would generate the correct shield and TTS (perhaps "biz loop twenty").
dbraughlr

Previous

Return to United States