Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by sketch
No? It only affects the minimum type, so a business US highway that's a freeway is still Freeway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
Thanks, Russ. I meant to make that change as well. It shall be done.

Banished, I'm going to contact Andy. Like I said in the rates thread, my position has not changed.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
I agree with you—though the scope of this overhaul was only drivable roads, and really public drivable roads. I intend to revisit the non-drivables sometime after this is committed.

sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
daknife wrote:To bring back a somewhat dated point, simply to prove we can always find an exception in this wacky world.
sketch wrote:If you're suggesting to me that the AASHTO/Congress/US DOT keeps routes around for their historical significance alone, …
But they do in fact do so. I live a few blocks away from a seemingly quiet side street, mostly residential except at one end where it connects to a major arterial surface street. It doesn't look like anything but a residential street, except for the Red White and Blue Hwy signs that read Historic Lincoln Highway. The interstates chopped up segments of the LH and this one came to look like and be a residential street, if not for the sign I wouldn't ever guess that half mile stretch of road was in fact a US Hwy. I'm not going to mark it as such in Waze, because the residents would not appreciate a sudden influx of misrouted Wazers, nor would the Wazers appreciate the routing.
If the road really is so slow, then Wazers won't be routed that way. I don't know where everyone gets the idea that Waze will all of a sudden "misroute" Wazers all over the place just 'cause road types are higher. It's preposterous. Waze is still going to keep you on I-15 if it's the fastest route. But the US highway should still be available in case of a serious accident on I-15, a closure for freeway reconstruction, or anything else.

US-89 through that area is designated as a principal arterial - other (so, Major) through the area, anyway. So are SR-73 to the west and SR-114 to the south.

Keep your subjective ideas about what road types "should be" and implement this system and I'm absolutely confident you will see an improvement. That's kind of the point, and trust me: it works. Well.

As for US-89 ALT, I don't doubt that it's a scenic route, but it's not a "Scenic" route. There is only one route in the US Hwy system that is marked "Scenic", and it's US-40 Scenic in Maryland.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
daknife wrote:US 89 Scenic is marked as such. So how it can be so marked and not be so is beyond me.
Like CBenson said — that route is called, and signed as, "US-89A". That's the route designation. Local names ("Fredonia-Vermilion Cliffs Scenic Road") have no bearing on road type. The only route designated as scenic is US-40 Scenic in Maryland. US-412 ALT in Oklahoma was called US-412 Scenic until 2012.
As to the other segment, it's not in competition with the Interstate or US 89, but with other arterial routes (I don't recall the SR designators at the moment. SR-73 and 114 are both almost 100 miles away from where I am referring to.
In this case were I to mark that section of road as a Major Hwy it would get routing preference over the Minor Hwy routes that are the arterials the one it comes off of is under construction and does see major slowdowns, the other end of that segment is a primary street and is a suggested detour, but not through that neighborhood, the detour is at a higher capacity intersection and connector, but if I suddenly change the segment to Maj Hwy, it WILL dump a lot more traffic onto a road that cannot and should not handle it.
Sorry, I assumed you were talking about American Fork. You'd have to show me what you're talking about. For starters, "Historic Lincoln Highway" is a local name, not a US route designation, so it has no bearing on road type, if that's what you're worried about.
CBenson wrote:As an aside in looking for US-89A signs in streetview, I got confused with state 89A and saw this sign, which makes it look like someone keeps routes around for their historical significance alone.
Well, not exactly. Some state highways have elected to mark "Historic Route 66", but US-66 was deleted by the AASHTO/FHWA/whatever in 1985.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Perhaps I could have been more precise. I meant that US Highway designations are not kept for their historical significance. "Lincoln Highway" is not part of the US Highway system and therefore has no bearing on the road type system.

sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
daknife wrote:On that we can agree and that was my original point. Maybe I was misunderstanding but I read the conversation at that point as saying the Lincoln Hwy should be marked as such because of it's historical status, you said (my interpretation) nobody is keeping such designations for historical reasons, and so I pointed out a section of said Hwy that is not and should not be marked as Maj Hwy, even though it is part of the original hwy as built.

Tapatalking via my Galaxy S4
I was simply saying that the section in question, which is part of US-30, should be marked as Major because it's part of US-30 (and because it's a principal arterial), not because it's part of the Lincoln Highway. What I meant was that they did not keep the US-30 designation simply because of the route's historical value.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
At this point you're trying to disprove my system through some example that isn't even real, just the result of a misunderstanding. I don't know why you're still trying to argue this point. It's completely irrelevant.

If you'd actually read the proposed rules you would know that principal arterials and US HIGHWAYS are to be set as major highway. US Highways are highways with a number and US in front of the number. Again, the Pennsylvania example is major because it's US-30, not because it's the Lincoln Highway. So whatever might happen on your section of the "Historic Lincoln Highway" is irrelevant unless it has a US route number, which it does not.

And it would not act like you say it would, regardless. No, it wouldn't. That's not how it works. I don't know why so many people come in and think it works that way.

Even if it does, you cannot look at one road in a vacuum and think 'what would happen if I upgraded this road?' That's not relevant either. The proper question to ask is 'what would happen if I upgraded a bunch of these roads', and the answer is 'routing will improve dramatically', and the method is detailed in the original post of this thread.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
It is done.

https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Road_types/USA

I have posted an announcement in the United States forum. Perhaps it is also wise to post an announcement in the Waze Map Editor forum?

Also I made a tinyurl: http://tinyurl.com/RoadTypesUSA (not case sensitive).
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message