Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by abc1357
Kartografer wrote:Why not just test the name on a nearby road segment, and then if it sounds right put that name on the place?
Duh! Should have thought of that. Interesting - the English voice for "Va de Vi" pronounces it as "V A de Vee". As in the Letter V, Letter A, sound "duh", sound "vee". I tried "Va. de Vi" with a period and it's voiced as "V A de Vee" also. I tried "Vaa de Vi" and it's voiced as "V A A de Vee"
sketch wrote:No, this should be handled by the TTS team. "Va" with no period and a lowercase "a" should be pronounced as a word. (And "Va."—an accepted, if old-fashioned, abbreviation—should be pronounced as "Virginia")
Since the restaurant was about 10 min out of my way, I decided to drive over and hear exactly what was announced. Using English (US) (Jane) on Android Release 4.19.0.3, the app definitely voiced "Virginia duh vee".

So we now have a case where not only is the pronunciation on the app incorrect, but the pronunciation by WME is different from what is voiced by Jane.

Given that I can't get a pronunciation of "Va" (rhymes with "far"), I'll leave this up to the TTS team.
abc1357
State Manager
State Manager
Answers: 2
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Was this also to end up being an official list to help them differentiate things like Penn vs. Pennsylvania, St vs. St. (saint) and Dr vs Dr. (doctor)? I think we need to add those too, unless I'm missing the purpose of the full abbreviation list.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
gettingthere wrote:May need to use a single or double quote around the street name so that Waze understands that it's not an abbreviation that needs to be expanded.
Do quotes still result in being backslash-escaped to \' and \" ? I haven't tried recently.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I know that NW, SW, NE, SE work fine as a prefix and are fully pronounced as you'd expect. Not sure how they work at the end or in the middle of the name.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
banished wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I know that NW, SW, NE, SE work fine as a prefix and are fully pronounced as you'd expect.
Yes, I meant to include those. But other than a very small set of abbreviations, such as those, it makes sense to put a period after words not contained in that set, e.g., "Dr." for doctor and "Dr" for drive; "Wash." for Washington, and "wash" (no period) for wash, as in Wash Ave.
I feel, as mapcat noted, that we should not be going hog wild on things like Wash. vs Wash and Geo vs. George. The smaller set of abbreviations, the better. If it's Wash, it's always Wash, otherwise spell out Washington if that's what it is.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
CBenson wrote:I just discovered that "Pr." is on a few BGSs around here as an abrieviation for "Prince." The TTS says "pea are."
Another one to just spell out? Though I'm not sure what "pr" would otherwise conflict with.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I saw a street sign today for a "Terrace" which used "TR" as the abbreviation. This would conflict with "TR" for "Trail."
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I thought we decided long(er) ago that differentiation should be with the period or without. Positional should make no difference. St=street, St.=saint, Dr=drive, Dr.=Drive, etc. Why make it more complicated?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
CBenson wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I thought we decided long(er) ago that differentiation should be with the period or without. Positional should make no difference. St=street, St.=saint, Dr=drive, Dr.=Drive, etc. Why make it more complicated?
Did you mean Dr.=Doctor?
Yes. :oops: #Typingtoofast.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
GizmoGuy411 wrote:The first batch of TTS abbreviation tests from yesterday's map updates have been tested.

This completed a third more of the 700 abbreviations to be tested.
Wow, you all are doing some great testing. I appreciate the time and effort you are putting in to this. Let us hope this bears good fruit with better and reliable abbreviations in the future!
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message