Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by Qyv42
There has been some question in this thread about whether Waze is equivalent to other apps which make heavy/continuous use of the GPS, or if it is actually drawing more power than those apps. I was on a road trip this week so decided to run a test. With the same conditions (e.g. phone position in car, type of charger, destination, etc.), on my Lumia 1020 running the "Black" update, I used Waze for 30 mins, and then Here Drive for 30 mins, noting the battery life at the start and end of each cycle. I did this cycle two times to try and reduce variability.

I found that in 30 mins, Waze was able to drain the battery of my 1020 by 4-5% even while on a charger. When I switched over to Here Drive, the battery was able to charge back up by approximately the same amount within 30 minutes. Switching back to Waze showed the same drain consistently, while with Here Drive I was consistently able to charge (albeit very slowly). The other thing I noticed was that the phone definitely got much warmer using Waze than with Here Drive - with Waze, after 30 mins, the phone was almost too hot to touch, while with Here Drive, it got warm but not hot.

Note that this was driving on a highway, so the conditions were not identical from cycle to cycle, but I kept an eye on things like phone signal strength, and things averaged out pretty well, so I don't think there were any external conditions that were affecting the testing in any significant way. One other experiment I tried after the testing above was putting my phone in airplane mode, to see if some of the extra drain was coming from usage of the cellular radio. Leaving the phone in airplane mode did not noticeably reduce the battery drain nor the temperature of the phone, so it seems like the usage of the GPS itself is the primary cause.

Bottom line: I don't know what Waze is doing differently than Here Drive - perhaps offline map data helps? - but it seems like there could be some opportunities to improve the power usage of the Windows Phone version.
Qyv42
Send a message

Post by race68
For those who can't ACCEPT terms and conditions on a LUMIA 640, just hide the Go Back / Start Button /Search icons at bottom of the screen. It's hiding the accept button.
race68
Send a message

Post by radicchibelotto
Hi! Thanks for bringing waze for windows phone! Great app!

I am getting the battery drain issues. I got in a WP8 community that the battery drain bugs is happening at Lumia 920. Lots is similar complains

my phone got extremely hot and my car charger can't keep it!!! I use here drive too and the battery consuming is really lower!!!
radicchibelotto
Send a message

Post by raimis98
The same here. It seems that Waze does not work on Windows phones anymore. Must be some breaking change on the Waze servers. :(
raimis98
Send a message

Post by raiqz
Ritsikas70 wrote:btw - where do You get 3.7.6 versioon ? My is 3.7.4.5 (freshly installed again from store).
i have a same question - where to get 3.7.6?
raiqz
Send a message

Post by raiqz
i'm having Waze 3.7.4.5 @ WP8.1 (Nokia 630) from beginning of June, no problemos so far.
raiqz
Send a message

Post by rallyrabbit
Thanks for bringing the App to WP8, so far it is stable.

One issue, Nokia 820 hardware running OS 8.0.10328.78. Waze App (latest on the Marketplace) 3.7.3.208.

1) When a route is started, it calculates the route well. When the go button is pressed there is no "Let's get started, Drive Safe" message like on Android or IOS. Though this may be normal.

2) When a route/navigation is active, the navigation button still says navigation. There is no way to cancel an currently navigated routed unless you choose a new route or you close the app entirely and re-open it.
rallyrabbit
Send a message

Post by rallyrabbit
Another small issue. At least on the Nokia 820 and 920. When using zoom based on speed, when it zooms out at 45mph/70kmh, you can no longer see most roads other than major roads. I have been doing a side by side comparison with Android on a Galaxy S-III to compare the map zoom. The WP8 app definitely zooms out and loses road focus while the android app does not.
rallyrabbit
Send a message

Post by Rampage2518
I have a Lumia Icon and the bluetooth function works for me. Go into the advanced section of your bluetooth settings and check the box for the alternate voice setting.
Rampage2518
Send a message

Post by ranhh
Hello I want to know when there is a version for Windows Phone 10 work?
When they launch an update to Windows Phone 10

Hola deseo saber cuando hay una version para Windows Phone 10 que funcione?
Cuando lanzan una actualización para Windows Phone 10
ranhh
Send a message