Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clients

[ img ] This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: MapSir

Re: Re: Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze C

Postby harling » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:21 pm

AndyPoms wrote:The other thing I noticed while looking at the State List (and if I'm reading this wrong, please let me know) is that you want to add "Ct" to be "Connecticut" instead of "court" which is currently does. Being from Connecticut, we have many roads named "Something Court" and the USPS abbreviation is "Ct" for "Court" (but it's also missing from the "C" section of the list...

I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but in case it isn't obvious to someone: it makes no sense for "Ct" to say "Connecticut". The state abbreviation is CT, all caps. (Ditto for "NY" vs. "Ny", and all the other standard state abbreviations.)
harling

Postby AndyPoms » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:43 pm

GizmoGuy411 wrote:
AndyPoms wrote:I have several exits here in CT that say "N. Y. City"... I was listening closely today and I got "North Why City" through the TTS... Without me testing 75 variations, does anyone know a way to keep some form of "N. Y." (NY, N.Y., etc) for the display and get it to read "New York" in the TTS?

Thanks for your help,
Andrew

Look at the abbreviation list linked in the lead post of this thread. I think it has been updated to include the abbreviation for New York that works.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

For New York the doc says:

New York NY CU 2012-02-19 n/a. Says the letters 2012-03-22 GizmoGuy411 A
New York Ny CU 2012-02-19 New York 2012-03-22 GizmoGuy411 R

If I read that correctly, "NY" says "enn why" (and it should be Added) and "Ny" says "New York" but the recommendation is to Remove it?

The other thing I noticed while looking at the State List (and if I'm reading this wrong, please let me know) is that you want to add "Ct" to be "Connecticut" instead of "court" which is currently does. Being from Connecticut, we have many roads named "Something Court" and the USPS abbreviation is "Ct" for "Court" (but it's also missing from the "C" section of the list...
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:27 pm

GizmoGuy411 wrote:
AndyPoms wrote:...does anyone know a way to keep some form of "N. Y." (NY, N.Y., etc) for the display and get it to read "New York" in the TTS?

Look at the abbreviation list linked in the lead post of this thread. I think it has been updated to include the abbreviation for New York that works.

Or don't keep the form and spell out New York...
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby GizmoGuy411 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:14 pm

AndyPoms wrote:I have several exits here in CT that say "N. Y. City"... I was listening closely today and I got "North Why City" through the TTS... Without me testing 75 variations, does anyone know a way to keep some form of "N. Y." (NY, N.Y., etc) for the display and get it to read "New York" in the TTS?

Thanks for your help,
Andrew

GizmoGuy411
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby GizmoGuy411 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:46 am

harling wrote:Here's a TTS issue that I noticed the other day.

We have a "Summer St" in town. TTS correctly pronounces it "summer street". Off of that street is a court, named "Summer St Ct". TTS pronounces it as "summer saint court". Wait, what?

There are a lot of roads around here for which "St" and other abbreviations need to be pronounced the same regardless of position. I hadn't noticed this before because these are generally small side-streets not used for through-traffic, but people do live on them, and I can think of at least half a dozen examples off the top of my head in my own small town alone. (Smith St Ct off of Smith St, King St Ct off of King St, etc...)

Oh great. Will have to create some examples to add for positional testing now.

This probably means other abbreviations are going to be conditional on position too.

GizmoGuy411
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby GizmoGuy411 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:43 pm

BrianCanFixIT wrote:I've just encountered a sign with "Drwy" for Driveway. so I guess the other permutation for this would also be valid: drwy, drway.

Thanks Brian. Added. Did you happen to hear the TTS results for them? Or were you not actually there.

GizmoGuy411
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby GizmoGuy411 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:11 am

Timbones wrote:It seems that "Cr" is being now pronounced as "Country Road", so what would be an acceptable abbreviation for "Crescent"?

via TapaTalk

I remember at least one abbreviation for Crescent is in the list. I'm mobile so I can't check right this second. Also I just checked CR earlier today and I could swear I swear I heard "County Road" not "Country Road".

GizmoGuy411
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby Scorp42 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:33 am

bmitch3020 wrote:Any automated solution is going to result in a lot of one-off or edge cases that don't work correctly. I think the best solution is to provide a TTS input under the Label input. Use the default TTS rules if no values are provided, and show the expanded value. And if "customize TTS" or some other checkbox is selected, allow the map editor to put in plain English (or their language of choice) into the TTS box. E.g.:

Label: Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. St N
TTS: Doctor Martin Luther King Junior Street North

Label: N St.
TTS: N Street

Label: Geo Wash Pkwy
TTS: George Washington Parkway

This way the label can match the sign, but the editor can fix the TTS if we see the default isn't correct.

In another life, I dealt with TTS quite a bit. The idea of a 'TTS override' field is very common.

The first field should match the street signs as closely as possible, and be visible in the UI. the TTS field should default to empty, and only be filled in if the spoken TTS is wrong or pronounces something oddly. For instance, barberton OH is pronounced like barber-ton (think haircuts) but many TTS engines will pronouns it bar-burton (with the 'Berton' part emphasized for some reason.)

Anyway, +1 for the TTS override field.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk
Scorp42

Re: Re: Re: Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Wa

Postby GizmoGuy411 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:29 pm

AndyPoms wrote:
GizmoGuy411 wrote:

Thanks for your help,
Andrew

For New York the doc says:

New York NY CU 2012-02-19 n/a. Says the letters 2012-03-22 GizmoGuy411 A
New York Ny CU 2012-02-19 New York 2012-03-22 GizmoGuy411 R

If I read that correctly, "NY" says "enn why" (and it should be Added) and "Ny" says "New York" but the recommendation is to Remove it?

The other thing I noticed while looking at the State List (and if I'm reading this wrong, please let me know) is that you want to add "Ct" to be "Connecticut" instead of "court" which is currently does. Being from Connecticut, we have many roads named "Something Court" and the USPS abbreviation is "Ct" for "Court" (but it's also missing from the "C" section of the list...

Since I am mobile at the moment I can't answer in sufficient detail.

We are looking for all the state abbreviations to be two letter abbreviations in caps and no periods.

So "Ct" would be "court" and "CT" would be the state.

As far as New York goes I don't think you should use the current working abbreviation.

So until the TTS issues are addressed , my best advice at the moment is "when in doubt, spell it out"!

GizmoGuy411
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Re: Penn.

Postby dbraughlr » Sat May 24, 2014 9:55 pm

[ img ]
[ img ]
Perhaps we can collect actual examples.
Last edited by dbraughlr on Sat May 24, 2014 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dbraughlr

PreviousNext

Return to United States