Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clients

[ img ] This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: MapSir

Re: Roman numerals

Postby dbraughlr » Mon May 12, 2014 6:34 pm

Whether Louis XIV is read as lewis ex eye vee or lewis fourteenth, it won't be perfect.

I think we want C, D, I, L, M, V, and X pronounced as letters. It seems that Roman numerals are the exceptions and should require special notation if used at all.
dbraughlr

Re: Re: Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze C

Postby GizmoGuy411 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:58 pm

xteejx wrote:Has anyone asked Waze to look at their TTS service and grab all this information for us? There's gotta be an easier way than testing manually.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

Yes we asked for that at the Palo Alto meetup last January and they said it was not available.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
GizmoGuy411
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby CBenson » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:30 am

Timbones wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:If we make it a standard that "St" is "street" and "St." is "saint" then we know exactly how it will be pronounced regardless of where it is in the street name.

Is this going happen? Did the request get put in to HQ?

I don't know. But if it is/has, "Dr" as "drive" and "Dr." and "doctor" should get the same request.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby GizmoGuy411 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:51 pm

Kandralla wrote:
GizmoGuy411 wrote:Penn for Pennsylvania was moved from the main list to the State abbreviation list where it belongs, along with other alternate state abbreviations. Yes we definitely want it removed from the TTS!

Am I correct in my assumption that this means that William Penn Highway will now be called "William Penn Highway" as oppoesed to "William Pennsylvania Highway"?

If so thanks, that was annoying.

No. Nothing has changed except where we had "Penn" in the test list.

The list has no impact on how Waze handle TTS. It is merely to learn how TTS currently works as Waze has no documentation themselves. The TTS results are actually a product of a company called Nuance.

We still do not know if, how or when our list may be able to help Waze influence the TTS package.

GizmoGuy411
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby rleejr79 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:24 pm

Kandralla wrote:
GizmoGuy411 wrote:Penn for Pennsylvania was moved from the main list to the State abbreviation list where it belongs, along with other alternate state abbreviations. Yes we definitely want it removed from the TTS!

Am I correct in my assumption that this means that William Penn Highway will now be called "William Penn Highway" as oppoesed to "William Pennsylvania Highway"?

If so thanks, that was annoying.

As a fellow Pennsylvanian with a 'Penn St.' , +1.
~ I don't always use my phone to respond in forums. When I do, I Swype on my GNex with Tapatalk 2
rleejr79

Postby Kuhlkatz » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:47 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:As is mentioned in this thread and elsewhere, we have no ability to influence TTS pronunciation. We have requested a phonetic field which would help in many cases, but would not likely be able to influence accents.

Alan,

The post reason was twofold. Confirmation that N# produces 'north number' in TTS despite no spacing and I'm interested to know if there is a current 'workaround' for this.

I'm not concerned about the accent, but it would be cool if Waze had this bit customized with voice files like Garmin and other providers.

The TTS override as discussed elsewhere is a good idea, but if the current Livemap does not even indicate reality, this is likely also far off.
It might actually happen in my lifetime still, you never know...
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby bgodette » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:45 am

WeeeZer14 wrote:There have been situations were Waze has cached the TTS audio files for frequently used streets/ramps. Users had to manually delete these files to get the effects of new TTS rules. I don't remember the details, but just wanted to point that out if you see slightly different pronunciation in different cases. It could be the case or it could be cached data.

Entering cc@tts into waze's search will clear the tts cache.

It's all my phone's fault for using Tapatalk.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby GizmoGuy411 » Thu May 10, 2012 12:36 am

invented wrote:Confirmed that "3rd Street" comes out as "Third street"

That is good news. Now I wonder how far we should test to. I suppose a look at New York City would be the best guess for max.

GizmoGuy411
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby GizmoGuy411 » Mon May 07, 2012 3:45 pm

AndyPoms wrote:
GizmoGuy411 wrote:
AndyPoms wrote:I have several exits here in CT that say "N. Y. City"... I was listening closely today and I got "North Why City" through the TTS... Without me testing 75 variations, does anyone know a way to keep some form of "N. Y." (NY, N.Y., etc) for the display and get it to read "New York" in the TTS?

Thanks for your help,
Andrew

Look at the abbreviation list linked in the lead post of this thread. I think it has been updated to include the abbreviation for New York that works.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

For New York the doc says:

New York NY CU 2012-02-19 n/a. Says the letters 2012-03-22 GizmoGuy411 A
New York Ny CU 2012-02-19 New York 2012-03-22 GizmoGuy411 R

If I read that correctly, "NY" says "enn why" (and it should be Added) and "Ny" says "New York" but the recommendation is to Remove it?

The other thing I noticed while looking at the State List (and if I'm reading this wrong, please let me know) is that you want to add "Ct" to be "Connecticut" instead of "court" which is currently does. Being from Connecticut, we have many roads named "Something Court" and the USPS abbreviation is "Ct" for "Court" (but it's also missing from the "C" section of the list...

You were correct to point out that in the State list that "Ct" was tagged as to be "Added". That was clearly a copy and paste error!

"CT" should be Connecticut, and "Ct" should be Court.

Yes "Ct" was missing from the "C" section as the official USPS abbreviations are all in upper case. When the list was initially created, the entire USPS list was imported as is into the spreadsheet, and everything was left in upper case, and the mixed case variation of "Ct" was never added.

USPS actually use "CT" for both the state and the word! Not a problem for them, as they don't have to worry about TTS. Yes a problem for Waze!

Similarly, "NY" should be "New York" and "Ny" should removed as the current TTS abbreviation for New York, and we should avoid using it in Waze, as Harlan reiterated.

And again for now, our motto of "when in doubt, spell it out" is often the best advice as Alan said.

So thanks Andy for pointing out the errors/omissions in the list. I'm sure there are more if anyone cares to help proof it!
GizmoGuy411
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby GizmoGuy411 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:21 am

invented wrote:Does TTS say "1st" "2nd" "3rd" et al as expected?

Good question. It looks like we never tested for them.

My testing is on hold for a while as I need to catch up with other matters.

I'll have to at least add them to the list for future testing.

GizmoGuy411
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to United States