These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

some more details on road shields and VIP users

Post by krankyd
Hi guys,
These two features are only available on beta, and the numbers might not be final yet - but here are the details.

VIP users
We have four categories, which are based on this order:
1. 1 Million points - congratulations asterix06 and mapcat!!!
2. Mega mapper - 200,000 map edits
3. Mega driver - 50,000 kms driven (approx. 31,250 miles) with waze on EXISTING roads. Unfortunately, the count does NOT include kms of paved roads or munching roads.
4. Mega reporter - 400 different users thanked you for your reports, excluding chit chats. This is for all your reports since you started using waze.

The first 3 are easy to spot from your dashboard. The 4th is not visible in the dashboard, so you'll have to trust us on it. We're also checking an option to add a special message that will be sent to each user who became a VIP (so you'll know).
If a user matches a few categories - i.e. mega driver and mega reporter - he will get the higher VIP status (where 1M points is the highest).

Road shields
we are working on finalizing the process - will update once it's done.
There are two issues which are known:
1. When the primary name of a segment has two different numbers (I-80/I-90) the shield will display the first one of the two.
2. We can't display a shield and a name. We hope to add this ability in the near future. In the meantime, it's best to give the primary name as the "I-80" or "US Hwy 101", and the 'local' name in the alias field.

thanks
krankyd

POSTER_ID:84

Send a message
wazing like a hurricane

Post by hallmike
gerben wrote:Where can I see the VIP status? Or is this an US/Can feature as well?
I'm not seeing it either.
hallmike
Send a message
https://photos.imageevent.com/hallmike/ ... llmike.jpg ...when you care enough to Waze the very best

Post by harling
krankyd wrote:Road shields
1. When the primary name of a segment has two different numbers (I-80/I-90) the shield will display the first one of the two.
2. We can't display a shield and a name. We hope to add this ability in the near future. In the meantime, it's best to give the primary name as the "I-80" or "US Hwy 101", and the 'local' name in the alias field.
For all the major roadways in my area, the basemap lists the local name in the primary field, and highway numbers and other aliases in alternate field(s). Is it not possible for Waze to check the alternate name fields, if no number is found in the primary name field? The alternative is that we will have to "walk" the lengths of hundreds of roadways and switch primary and alternate names--which, knowing how Cartouche handles alternate names when editing multiple segments (i.e., it doesn't), is going to be a long process.
harling
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/ad/W ... os-sig.png
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.

Post by harling
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
krankyd wrote:Road shields
Per other's thoughts, the restriction to the primary field will hopefully be removed. Just as "other mapping software and clients do" for displaying a name and multiple shield icons along the length of a roadway, Waze should eventually support multiples.
It occurred to me last night, there is a similar dilemma with the text-to-speech system: if we have to put the highway number as the primary name, and it has to be in a certain format in order to be recognized and turned into a "shield", the TTS will start calling Eastern Ave "State Highway 127", and Route 128 "State Highway 128". Bleah. Or, it can keep calling the streets by their common names, and no shields get displayed. Less bleah, but still...

Highway designations and street names need to be decoupled. (And segments can be part of more than one highway.)
harling
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/ad/W ... os-sig.png
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.

Post by jasonh300
You get mega-mapper status when you hit level 4, which is now 200,000 edits.

If you hit level 4 before they changed the threshold, you still have mega-mapper status. This info came straight from krankyd.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
gettingthere wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:You get mega-mapper status when you hit level 4, which is now 200,000 edits.

If you hit level 4 before they changed the threshold, you still have mega-mapper status. This info came straight from krankyd.
This was initially what I had posted (200k edits) but I revised my post when I saw the the number if edits was initially 50k. I didn't want to believe they bumped up 4x.
From what I was told, it was originally 100k, and then increased to 200k last month when Level 4 moved up to 200k.

I'm a month or two away from 200k. So I can probably predict that they'll change that to 500k the day I reach 199,000 edits. :lol:
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by kieranrawley
Mega mapper man!!!! Do I need to wear a flag as a cape?

It's a bit better/worse (delete as required) again today
kieranrawley
Send a message
(I'll go for a run when I've got this little bit sorted..........)

https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/c/c6/W ... 00k_5c.png

Post by krankyd
rlpl wrote:Will the shields work on the world server? If I name a road in my country like "US Hwy 123" will it display a shield? If the shields are rendered on the client then there should be no difference whether we are on the world or US server.

If the shields are rendered on the client then what about the shields for other countries? As far as I understand the only problem is the number of countries because the rules for each individual country can be simple.
Shields are rendered as part of the map, so it won't be available right now on the world server regardless of how you name the street. We have to work on some graphics (get the proper shields for each country), but we are planning on adding them in the future.
krankyd
Send a message
wazing like a hurricane

Post by krankyd
Just to be clear:
We gave the mega mapper to those who still qualified with 50k edits (before we made the change).

However, the standard has changed and now requires 200K edits. You can search our support widget (on waze.com/support) for "VIP users" to see the full list.
krankyd
Send a message
wazing like a hurricane

Post by mapcat
krankyd wrote: Road shields
we are working on finalizing the process - will update once it's done.
Thanks Dror. I like the VIP idea.

Regarding the shields, what about this as a possible solution to issue #2: add a new field, "highway number", to the database and disassociate those numbers from road names. Then users could add as many highway number aliases as they needed, which could take care of issue #1. Seems that there would be a fairly simple way to detect and move those values in the database, and editors could clean up the rest.

For issue #2, I assume you mean the road name won't display on the client map. What about in the driving instructions?

Also, I'm just curious: are the shields going to be relatively similar to their appearance on the roads, or just a generic rectangle or circle?
mapcat
Send a message
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1