Important messages to community users. This forum is locked (waze staff only).

New Android pre-Market Beta release 1.5.2

Post by
You can download the android version 1.5.2.4 from the following location
http://tiny.cc/1524 (Updated to latest link 14.01.2010)

The version includes:
* Memory optimizations
* Performance optimizations
* Ping a wazer - enable to ping other members of your local driving community (if they have made themselves available to be pinged by setting --> profile --> 'I agree to be pinged')
* SD Card notification when not accessible
* HD screen UI correction
* Bug corrections

Be grateful for comments

POSTER_ID:64

Send a message

Post by arminc
I was not able to send a report, just got an error. It didn't mater how many times i tried.
arminc
Send a message
HTC Hero - Custom Android 1.5 - Waze 1.4.1.0
Area Manager for Drechtsteden - The Netherlands

Post by DAmaNIac
Hi,

I've tried it yesterday for a few minutes, it still takes more then 30 seconds after you touch a button in the settings menu, moving the map is still slow (several seconds, sometimes a few minutes deley) and the programm still freezes for a few minutes.
There is always the message Parser: unexpected data.
After you start the programm it takes a few minutes before you can enter settings or do anything like zooming in or out from the map. I will try a few new and old roads today, but I doubt it'll be a big improvement.

In the previous version I have deleted the folder on the SD card and let the program redownload all the data. It seems the program has serious issues updating data on the sd card like when you munch a road and it switches it later to a real road, the program freezes for 1-2 minutes.

damaniac
DAmaNIac
Send a message
Area Manager Hamburg/Germany
Samsung Galaxy S2

Post by DAmaNIac
I have an Motorola Milestone/Droid, which should be fast enough to run this program. I have deleted the complete waze folder on the sd card. I will try the same this evening, although it means I will loose again all the map data.

The application btw still crashes back to the homescreen for no reason at. I will uninstall, delete the folder and install again, and report tomorrow how the evening went.

damaniac
DAmaNIac
Send a message
Samsung Galaxy S2

Post by DAmaNIac
Hi,

I just drove a few kilometers with 1.5.2.1 with my Milestone (Android 2.0, no hacks, customs roms or anything). it feels faster, but this may only be due to the fact that I deleted the waze directory on the sd card (which worked sometimes for the old versions too). The previous crashes I experienced were not in the city but on my way to regions with not so good network connections all the time. I will try to test it again under these circumstances. I will also scroll over the map tonight, so that the software will preload as much tiles as possible from roads I have previously driven and edited. We'll see how this new version deals with a lot of files.
One thing that was new, was the fact that several times the screen went blank, the only thing left was the Android status bar at the top. I don't know if the software wanted to switch to landscape mode or whatever, I was just confusing, because every time you expected the software to crash. It recovered however after a few seconds.

On one street while wazing there was an error message and it reset the street. Unfortunately I didn't make a note of the message. Will try again tomorrow if I can.

Switching streets from the little dotted lines to complete lines seems smoother, however I want to try again with new tiles and lots of edits.

I really hope this new version can keep it's promises, so it'll be fun again. I'll install the new 1.5.2.2 now and preload the files and test how fast the software will react on what I do on the screen.

One last thing: The automatic dimming or switching to night mode worked in not a single version I have tried so far. Android bug or what?
DAmaNIac
Send a message
Samsung Galaxy S2

Post by DAmaNIac
Hi,

I just had my two test runs with version 1.5.2.2. As I said yesterday I scrolled a lot around the map in 2D and 3D and performance so far seems good, also in settings menu. The icons (car or cookie) does not always seems to match what the program is doing, but I guess it's to enhance performance.

The issue with the screen going blank (more often in the 1.5x version) can be fixed with manually turning off the automatic screen rotation. However it should be in the waze settings, so you don't have to go always in the android settings to disable this feature.

Due to the not so detailed map data so far in Hamburg I never got the software to calculate a route, but today it worked for a short route. 4 km with 4 turns. It crashed after the first turn unfortunately. Log has been send by mail.

I will try the new version 1.5.2.3 now.

Btw, thanks for the sat data for Germany :)

damaniac
DAmaNIac
Send a message
Samsung Galaxy S2

Post by DAmaNIac
Hi,

thanks for the updates, which come pretty fast. Great to see there is always improvement. What about the landscape mode switch? Is there any way the program can disable it in the near future?

regards
damaniac
DAmaNIac
Send a message
Samsung Galaxy S2

Post by DAmaNIac
There seems to be a limit of 4 MB on the SD card for the entire directory. Is there a way the program can cache more data, maybe some option in the preferences? What's the map.cache option for, should it be increased to run smoother?
DAmaNIac
Send a message
Samsung Galaxy S2

Post by eggu
damaniac wrote:Hi,

There is always the message Parser: unexpected data.

In the previous version I have deleted the folder on the SD card and let the program redownload all the data. It seems the program has serious issues updating data on the sd card like when you munch a road and it switches it later to a real road, the program freezes for 1-2 minutes.

damaniac
I also get the Parser-message continously.

Which folder on the sd-card do you delete? Since i have the same, that my client does not update the roads everyday....
eggu
Send a message
Samsung Galaxy S6, Android 6.0.1, Waze Beta 4 (Dutch), Toyota Corolla

Post by eggu
The Fej wrote:Just to update we corrected the crash detect by gerben as well as a small HD screen UI correction done.
New version is on: http://tiny.cc/dvRbu
This version seems to work much better than 1.5.2.0 And, above all, i can choose Dutch now!!

Now let's find out tomorrow if it works well
eggu
Send a message
Samsung Galaxy S6, Android 6.0.1, Waze Beta 4 (Dutch), Toyota Corolla

Post by filipe
In the previous version, when I wanted to save a location if I was not in a road the application would simply crash and exit the program.
Does the new version has this small issue fixed? It would be cool to be able to save locations, on your first trip there... even when the road does not exist yet!
Regards,

Filipe
filipe
Send a message