Trucks, RVs etc.. specs for routing

You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, MGODLEW

Forum rules
Waze staff does not read this forum

This forum is made for community discussions only.
To submit a feature request to Waze, read and follow the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features".

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Re: Trucks, RVs etc.. specs for routing

Postby GigaaG » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:12 pm

You can still up vote this idea on the Waze Suggestion Box
GigaaG
State Manager
State Manager

Re: Trucks contribution

Postby glennemay » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:31 pm

chriscompo wrote:Maybe waze could ask what vehicle your driving.
1) size
2) axle weight
3 ) total weight
4) width
5) height
6) low loader
7) limited speed could be entered for all roads applicable
8) driving / break times as per above

So I think another fantastic addition would be for us RVers. I have along vehicle when I have my tag along behind me. Or I have a high vehicle when I have my Truck camper in.

These things make a difference when navigating through some city streets. The ability to tell Waze that I am 58' long, or 13' tall would be very helpful.

Thanks
Glenn
glennemay

Re: Trucks contribution

Postby gordonski » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:24 pm

The problem of this feature would be, that Waze would have to filter out the speed data of trucks when calculating average segment speeds and slow-downs, since trucks usually drive slower than cars, especially on freeways. (Over here, vehicles with a max weight above 3.5 tons are limited to 80km/h / 50mph) Furthermore we would need a totally new kind of restrictions and reports, e.g. for roads that a closed for trucks but open for cars.
So all in all this is a similiar discussion as "Waze for bicycles" and so far Waze has not shown any willingness to integrate modes for different transportation categories...
No stop signs, speed limit[ img ]Nobody's gonna slow me down!
Area Manager in DN/BM/AC (NRW)
Wiki | Liste aller Gemeinden/Städte
gordonski

Postby gordonski » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:58 pm

Just to avoid any disappointment:
This request is not about adding a feature to the Waze App, it goes far beyond. As far as I know, the amount of data that Waze has in its databases about possible widths and heights of routes, weight limitations, turn radiuses, limitation for certain vehicle types and so forth comes to roundabout zero (rough estimation).
So far the collected data is only related to speeds, because we all want to get where we are going as quick as possible. How long it takes to add just one parameter can be seen with the ongoing integration of speed limits. And this is something, that even goes along with velocity data.
Imagine how long it will take to add the data required for routing based on vehicle dimensions, weight and type.
I am convinced that this is a very useful feature, that would make Waze the "deus ex machina" of navigation apps, but I doubt that we will see anytime in the near future (and by "near" I mean at least 3 years).
gordonski

Postby gordonski » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:09 am

world_5uyf9a39 wrote:I drive a HGV in the UK and I think Waze is missing a trick here if you introduced a Truckers vehicle attribute's feature which includes height, length and weight and allowed users to identify roads with height, weight, width restrictions also gradient, susceptibility to side wind and suitability for HGV's etc the user community would collate the data for you in no time. You would then be able to sell the data to other interested parties!

Routing & Rerouting would would just have to use an algorithm which takes these factors into account I don't see it as something which would be difficult to achieve just write the script!

Seeing that the routing algorithm is the core-element of the Waze software, I assume that implementing the changes you suggest is a little more work than just writing a few lines of java script. Just take the parameters you mentioned in your first sentence. These alone are 9 interacting factors, which currently do not exist in Waze's data model at all (afaik) and would impact the algorithm. I think this is more complicated than just "writing the damn script". E.g. how would interpret side-wind. Should Waze avoid roads which are susceptable to side wind, when your vehicle is higher than x feet? What if there is no wind and the road is absolutely safe to use? Should users provide real-time meteorological data? What influence does gradient have on routing? Should Waze avoid slopes steeper than 5% when you drive a truck? How will it determine the capabilities of your vehicle? Solely based on weight and dimensions?
I totally agree with you in the point that these features would be super-useful for truckers. But since Waze was originally created for car-commuters to facilitate their daily way to work and back home, I guess this means that a large part of the code needs to be rewritten.

Gordonski (software developer)
gordonski

Postby greenmonster9669 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:59 am

I will echo the request for a large truck routing option. And in addition to the police/hazard/etc warnings, incorporate a way for drivers to show whether weigh stations are open or closed when they pass by like the app Trucker Path does.
greenmonster9669

Re: Intelegent Routing ( based on Weight/Height/Length/Type)

Postby GreySleigh » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:39 pm

I'm an RVer and would love to be able to exclude routes that have low clearance, extreme grades, propane restrictions, axle limits... all of which are available in the public domain). Where Waze could really shine would be to crowd-source info that doesn't exist now like letting drivers flag the road they are on as too narrow/winding/steep for their rig, or rate gas stations for ease of access, or add waypoints of interest to RVers like overnight parking, dump stations, propane refill stations, etc.
GreySleigh

Postby gus-missfitz » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:13 pm

There are but two things that would be amazing to truckers:

- location of weigh stations (and a proximity warning to let them know)
- rest stop locations (state ones, not truck stops)

Also, the ability to add more than one stop and/or to plan a route. I often have as many as 6 stops in one day, I have to use Google Maps to plan my route, and then I can only have two stops in Waze at a time?
gus-missfitz

waze for RV/Truckers

Postby HowardEskins » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:38 pm

I rely on waze for all my auto driving. I've tied using waze on my last few RV trips. Because some of the routes takes you through back streets and tight places, it's not reliable, especially in areas outside of major metropolitan areas.

Are there any plans to create a version for rv/truckers?
HowardEskins

Postby HXR9334PA » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:23 am

I have to agree - weigh stations open/closure (input by users) and let truckers know when they are approaching a rest area in 5 miles.
HXR9334PA

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App Feature Requests