The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by beffl
leocylau wrote:
enhket wrote:download the .zip, unzip it. open FF, top right corner and click the monkey icon, click manage scripts. drag there the file you found in the .zip, go to the editor and rock.
Thank Christopher. But I got error 'This add-on could not be installed because it appears to be corrupt.' I've no idea :?
For me it woked in the following way:
Unzip the script "waze.user.js" for FF and copy it in the folder of the FF greasemonkey.
On my PC it's:
C:\Users\[my User]\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\1rj2o1vs.default\gm_scripts\WME-extended-tools
beffl
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by beffl
gdu1971 wrote:Hello All,
the new extended tools plugin is comming soon with a brand new UI and total rewrite for compatibility with new editor and Chrome....
Possibility to create their own buttons and menu to manage other scripts...
Regards,
Great!
If you need someone 4 testing, don't hestitate to contact me!

Cheers Stefan
beffl
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by beffl
asterix06 wrote:
AndyPoms wrote:Is it time to just retire the Extended Tools once and for all? We've all seen the damage they can do to the map in the wrong hands & since they no longer work properly I think this would be the best time to retire them.

Several of their functions have been replicated & built on by other tools, for example, the Highlighter Tools offer much more information & functionality than the Segment List ever did.
+1
I do understand your fear! And yes you can damage maps with this tool. But you can also damage maps in the same way without using that tool! Perhaps not so quick, but definitely you can!

So you would have to lock out of WAZE all Users you don’t trust. That would be the same like you want to retire the extension tools!
You didn’t write about the positive aspects of the tool like you are much faster during editing. Renaming major Highw which have different cities but the same Name was awful for me for instance etc.
Sorry but your arguments are not adequate for retiring that tool. It helps too much!

By that way, thanks for developing it,
Stefan
beffl
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by bmitch3020
Though I think it's worth saying that if someone finds the need to build add-on tools to your product, you are missing important functionality. And if the add-ons using your API are able to break things, then your API needs work. At least we have the situation where everyone wants a good result, and no one is trying to be malicious, so any problems will likely be solved by both sides working together.
bmitch3020
Send a message
Brandon
Northern Virginia Area Manager

Post by bmitch3020
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
bmitch3020 wrote:And if the add-ons using your API are able to break things, then your API needs work.
There is no API. This is clever highjacking of the data objects available.
With web applications, I define API as anything you can access by connecting to the web server. It may not be documented, but it's still an interface into the server's application layer. Whether that's the GUI that Waze provides, a modified version of that GUI, or a completely custom tool, if someone can access your system over the internet and cause irreversible damage, then the application needs to be improved.

Building a secure web application that allows the general public to alter your product, hopefully for the better, is not easy, so I have a lot of sympathy for Waze. But at the same time, if they don't get it right, someone else will, and users will be quick to transition when they suddenly find the streets getting defaced.
bmitch3020
Send a message
Brandon

Post by bmitch3020
maantje76 wrote:I have some problems with the extended tool. I had the same problem a few months ago, but didn't report it then.

If you use the tool in the area nearby the NL-BE border, it shows Dutch segments as Belgium in the segmentlist. But they aren't!

With the first version of the extended tool I did not have that problem. It was a great help for finding segments with a wrong country...Now this is impossible this way :(

Did someone else mentioned this before?
For clarification, are you saying the segments have the correct country but the extended tool shows it incorrect, or that there isn't a segment highlighted when you try to select it? Have you verified that there aren't overlapping segments?

I've been using it a fair bit to find segments in the wrong city/state with lots of luck. Make sure you are clicking the "All" button at the top of the screen after changing your zoom/panning. Without doing that, the script doesn't get the latest cached data, and trying to select a segment that is no longer cached won't do anything. I do this every time WME finishes saying "Loading road data...".
bmitch3020
Send a message
Brandon

Post by bmitch3020
foxitrot wrote:Would it be possible to add one more column, which would display the segments' "Alt. names:" row (as it is being displayed in WME editor, a.k.a. the Cartouche's concatenated list of the "Alt street:" names)?
You're asking to be able to display this in the "segment list", correct? I think alcolo47 is answering in reference to the "edit properties" box. This may be a relatively easy change since the data should be in the cache to view. Out of curiosity, I'll take a look through the javascript to see if this looks doable.
bmitch3020
Send a message
Brandon

Post by bmitch3020
alcolo47 wrote: My limits are:
  • Don't interact with server.
  • For edition, change internal datas with Waze functions (or with modified waze function like I done with applySegmentEditDetails)
Alcolo47: Here's a diff of waze.user.js with the new functionality following your limits (which I agree with) for your review:

Code: Select all

waze-plugin$ diff -c waze.user.js  waze.user.bmitch.js 
*** waze.user.js	2012-04-18 08:51:05.601002298 -0400
--- waze.user.bmitch.js	2012-04-18 09:53:16.121002764 -0400
*** 500,505 ****
--- 500,521 ----
      return street;
    };

+   this.getStreetAlt = function() {
+     var streetAlt;
+     var sids = seg.attributes.streetIDs;
+     var streetAlts = [];
+     if (sids instanceof Array) {
+       for (var i = 0, l = sids.length; i < l; ++i) {
+         if (wazeModel.streets.objects[sids[i]].name) {
+           streetAlts.push(wazeModel.streets.objects[sids[i]].name);
+         }
+       }
+     }
+     streetAlt = streetAlts.join(", ");
+     this.getStreetAlt = returnIt(streetAlt);
+     return streetAlt;
+   };
+ 
    this.getCity = function() {
      var city;
      var street = this.getStreet();
*** 695,700 ****
--- 711,721 ----
      this.getValue = function(seg) { return seg.getStreet() ? seg.getStreet().name : ""; };
    },

+   StreetAlt: function() {
+     this.getName = function() { return "Street Alt"; };
+     this.getValue = function(seg) { return seg.getStreetAlt() ? seg.getStreetAlt() : ""; };
+   },
+ 
    StreetId: function() {
      this.getName = function() { return "Street id"; };
      this.getValue = function(seg) { return seg.getStreetIdPart() ? seg.getStreetIdPart() : ""; };
*** 805,811 ****

with(ListSegColumns) {
    ListSegColumns.Available = [
!       Country, State, City, Street, StreetId, StreetName,
        Length, Locked, Separator, Level, RoadType, CreatedBy, UpdatedBy, InLndMark,
        NbWays, RoundAbout, AllowNoDirection, FwdSpeed, RevSpeed,
        Select];
--- 826,832 ----

with(ListSegColumns) {
    ListSegColumns.Available = [
!       Country, State, City, Street, StreetAlt, StreetId, StreetName,
        Length, Locked, Separator, Level, RoadType, CreatedBy, UpdatedBy, InLndMark,
        NbWays, RoundAbout, AllowNoDirection, FwdSpeed, RevSpeed,
        Select];
bmitch3020
Send a message
Brandon

Post by bmitch3020
I'm getting an error where the segment list will stop displaying in various locations. The offending code is on waze.user.js line 683. Apparently seg.getCountry() is now returning undefined for some segments (maybe for the unconfigured segments) so seg.getCountry().name is throwing an exception.
bmitch3020
Send a message
Brandon

Post by bmitch3020
shawndoc wrote:A) What is the scope of segments it shows? I notice is selects a far larger area than what I am looking at (when zoomed in), but smaller that the total area (when zoomed out).
It's whatever Waze has temporarily cached in a javascript object on your browser. At wider zoom levels, only major streets are loaded into this cache. And closer levels, Waze seems to be retrieving tiles of segments. I believe Waze is loading these tiles when you see the "Loading road data..." message.
shawndoc wrote:B) Is there a way to limit the segment list to just those segments that are currently in the window/zoom level? It would be real handy to update some bad neighborhoods, but I don't need to be selecting things way across town. I've set to show "Screen" which gives me 0, 1, or .5 in the screen window.
Create a new landmark over the area you're interested in selecting, highlight the landmark, and then click the "select in landmark" button from the plugin tools. This isn't limiting the segment list, but I think it covers most usage cases for fixing a bad neighborhood.
bmitch3020
Send a message
Brandon