Would like to disable individual in-app alerts (reports)  Topic is solved

You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, MGODLEW

Forum rules
Waze staff do not read this forum

This forum is made for community discussions only.
To submit a feature request to Waze, read and follow the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features".

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Re: Would like to disable individual notifications

Postby taco909 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:54 pm

steinauf85 wrote:this thread is 2 years old. Instead of locking duplicate threads complaining about the issue, why doesn't Waze just fix the issue?

"Waze" is not locking duplicate threads.

These forums are run and moderated by users and volunteer editors.
Some editors have regular contact with Waze staff, and some Waze staff members participate in the forum, but the actual "direct line" support site is on Centercode and one needs to be an app beta tester to gain access.

Trust me... we are doing the exact same thing there, and this feature is one of the 2 or 3 most up-voted suggestions on Centercode. Waze is WELL aware that we want it.
-- Rich
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Re: Turn off vehicle parked on shoulder

Postby taco909 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:13 pm

db22 wrote:Please allow the total deletion of this worthless alert.

They deleted "Rain" so now we just get the parent "Weather" reported.
If they delete "vehicle on shoulder" we'll just get the parent "Hazard"... or worse, vehicle stopped on road.

People are going to game the system and farm point. The only solution that is going to reduce the annoyance to the driver is to give us the ability to shut off the alerts that we don't care about.

Personally, I don't want to hear about vehicles on the shoulder or police activity (the #2 most abused report in Los Angeles).
-- Rich
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby taco909 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:28 pm

BeThereRealSoon wrote:
electrosaur wrote:While we wait for Waze I've resorted to a crude hack that silences the vehicle-stopped-on-shoulder alert. If you have a ROM unlocked Android phone (may also need root but maybe not) then it may work for you as well. YMMV and standard disclaimers. Waze stores a mapping from the alert text phrase to the sound file for that alert in a sqlite3 database called tts.db. Find the name of the file and replace it with a 0 length file and you kill the audible portion of the alert. Deleting the file doesn't work: Waze resorts to "hazard on road ahead" instead. Of course this fix will only last until the next update or until you change the voice. if there's interest I'll post the gory details and magic incantations.

Sounds very interesting. I would be interested in the details.

Easier to just go to settings > Advanced > Data Transfer > <uncheck> Download Traffic Data.
No need to root your phone or unlock the ROM.

That completely silences and removes ALL alerts, but navigation works fine, and you will be rerouted around traffic.
-- Rich
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby taco909 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:46 pm

s2000types wrote:Will I still get the colors for traffic density?

No. It only displays the map and does not download anything from the server other than routing.

The main problem is if you are "free driving" without navigation, you will not see closures (or traffic) to avoid them.
If you are navigating, it will still work normally, just no alerts other than turns.
-- Rich
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby tadpeters » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:39 pm

I don't think Waze will do such a thing. I've seen postings about the car on shoulder disable notification discussed for years now. The creators have deemed it necessary to FORCE anyone who uses the app to listen to the notifications. I agree, some may find it useful, but not giving us an option to choose is paramount to making it mandatory to listen to the notifications. I've stopped using the app because I hate that annoying announcement every 5 minutes.
tadpeters

Re: Watch Out! Vehicle Stopped on Shoulder Ahead!

Postby tadpeters » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:45 pm

Agreed, it's an active topic that's been brought up before. However, unless Waze listens to the posts to disable this feature (which I had posted about 2+ years ago for the first time under another account, and it was actively discussed back then), the only way to get attention for this issue is to continue to post comments and discussions regarding the topic. Or you can just quit using the Waze app like I have until they decide to stop forcing us to listen to the impossibly annoying warnings
tadpeters

Postby takethecake » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:28 pm

It really is just unfathomable how long this thread has gone on. It's so incredibly obvious how necessary this feature is, yet Waze has continued to ignore this thread for YEARS. Forget it, they're never going to do anything to make the user experience better. Find another app.
takethecake

Postby ThomasPfau » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:59 pm

Another voice for the chorus. I don't mind the vehicle on shoulder alerts but what bothers me is the rain alerts. I can see it's raining. I don't need to be told about it every two minutes. Each alert type should be configurable for how you want to be notified.

Also, why does it tell me 'accident reported ahead' but doesn't pop up the notification telling me where? I have to go through the all reports page to find out. Makes no sense.
ThomasPfau

Postby TomBenzSpeedy » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:33 pm

I am amazed this issue has been out there this long and has not been addressed. I too and extremely annoyed by vehicle on side of road. It is a deal breaker for me. If I cannot disable this in the next 3 months, I will be done with WAZE.
TomBenzSpeedy

Postby TomBenzSpeedy » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:38 pm

taco909 wrote:
TomBenzSpeedy wrote:I am amazed this issue has been out there this long and has not been addressed. I too and extremely annoyed by vehicle on side of road. It is a deal breaker for me. If I cannot disable this in the next 3 months, I will be done with WAZE.

May as well move on now then. It is not currently in Beta, so it absolutely will not be in production within 3 months.
We have been asking for this for years.
The attitude of staff is they want to simplify the app, meaning removing options, not adding options.

You CAN eliminate ALL alerts by going to Settings > Advanced > Data Transfer and un-check the "Download Traffic Info" box.

It will silence all alerts, but it will also eliminate all speed and closure related visuals.
You will still get nav prompts, and the routing server will still route around traffic... you just won't get a visual on the screen.

Yeah, I saw that in an earlier post, I will give it a shot.
TomBenzSpeedy

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App Feature Requests