The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by gettingthere
PhantomBlack wrote: Maybe I wasn't clear saying dual cross streets should have said two stacked streets or something this intersection seems to work fine I have tested in live map and client.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=8&lat ... TFTTFTTTTT
In my opinion, stacked streets for this purpose should be avoided. Too difficult for future editors to identify that the roads are stacked.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by jasonh300
PhantomBlack wrote:I have the same problem along one of our major streets all intersections are posted no U-turn but set up for Waze to use a double left. I tried adding a couple of one ways close together with a two way sandwiched in between so it looks like a single street. I don't know if it will work until I get a chance to drive it after a map update. This may be a the mapcat bow tie, I haven't seen one he has done.
I've seen something like this done where the roads are layered on top of each other and you can't see them.

There are some other examples that one of the editors set up in the desert in Arizona, but I can't find them at the moment.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
PhantomBlack wrote:Thing is when I talk to my Wazer co-workers they want to see the two one ways that is what they expect to see as it matches their view of the road. They didn't much care for the bow ties either.
Are these roads really separated widely enough to see the separation on the client? Or does it just look like a slightly fatter line?
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by mapcat
MarionOaks wrote:Could I possibly see an example of a Mapcat bow tie (I read through the thread, and don't believe I seen any links to a map cat bow tie)
https://www.waze.com/map-editor/?zoom=5 ... =-83.03005
mapcat
Send a message
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1

Post by MarionOaks
Could I possibly see an example of a Mapcat bow tie (I read through the thread, and don't believe I seen any links to a map cat bow tie)
MarionOaks
Send a message
Map Editor Level: 4
Current project: Map Reports/Speed Limit Verification
Next Project(s): TBD
Devices:
Dell Inspiron for edits
Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge for the road

Post by phantomblack
I have the same problem along one of our major streets all intersections are posted no U-turn but set up for Waze to use a double left. I tried adding a couple of one ways close together with a two way sandwiched in between so it looks like a single street. I don't know if it will work until I get a chance to drive it after a map update. This may be a the mapcat bow tie, I haven't seen one he has done.

Take a look it may work for you or hopefully some pro's will chime in with better options.

https://www.waze.com/cartouche/?zoom=10 ... FTFTFTTTTT

You can only see what I did if you zoom all the way in with the Papyrus editor Cartouche won't zoom far enough for me.

Edit: I also noticed a problem with the connecting street if you turn on connectivity you can see a right hand turn is allowed against the flow of traffic on Main St. same thing with Daily Dr. to the south. I believe this is from a bug and you should rebuild those streets.
phantomblack
Send a message
Wisconsin-based US Country Manager

Post by phantomblack
bgodette wrote: A third solution, probably most error prone and confusing, is to used stacked two-way roads with appropriate turn restrictions. You have to temporarily modify their geometry enough to set turn restrictions correctly, but it does work.
I changed my intersection to this option I like the look over the bow tie. I tried to do like this at first but had problems getting the roads to stack. After reading your post I tried again and figured it out not to hard if you draw the second street out to give you a triangle while you adjust turn restrictions then up it's level and drop it over the original street.

To bad we don't have a place to leave editing notes so the next person to come along would know why it is this way. Then this type of work would be a lot less confusing.
phantomblack
Send a message

Post by phantomblack
I guess I don't understand all the side effect issues mentioned. If the intersection is working then it shouldn't generate user requests automatic warnings is another thing. The routing shouldn't be random since there is only one way through the intersection depending on where you are coming from and going. I agree it can confuse future editors although unlike the bow tie it is well hidden and may not draw the attention.

Either way, I will listen to the advice given and not make anymore of these. I think I will leave this one as is and I had also made one near home. I can test them and see what happens should be interesting.

FYI, I did some routing with Google maps and it instructs incorrect U-turns all over E. Washington. It will feel like a real accomplishment to get this street working correctly and one up the "G".
phantomblack
Send a message

Post by phantomblack
Wanted to update on my attempt at U-turn blocking. My changes went live a few weeks ago and I have my first interesting result. The double stack cross road looks good in client and seems to be working well. Surprisingly the first update request was at one of the bow ties I placed.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... TTTTFTTTTT

It appears to be generating a right turn instruction. I assume my attempt at a bow tie was lame and is causing the problem. At this point I would have to say I prefer the dual cross street because if I set the turn restrictions right it will work vs having to get the road geometry just right to prevent this issue.

On the other hand it would appear the true fix would be to collapse this entire street. It is full of no U-turns and may not meet the minimum 5m separation listed in the wiki although the gps traces do show two clear direction paths and it looks technically correct in client.

I will probably just replace the bow ties with dual cross streets and hope for the best any thoughts?
phantomblack
Send a message

Post by phantomblack
gettingthere wrote: I would suggest altering the bow tie geometry. You won't be able to restrict the U-Turn with the dual cross streets.
Maybe I wasn't clear saying dual cross streets should have said two stacked streets or something this intersection seems to work fine I have tested in live map and client.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=8&lat ... TFTTFTTTTT

gettingthere wrote: I have altered the bowtie at the intersection so that it should not give extra turn instructions. You had extra geometry points that were likely causing the issue.
Thanks I figured my mistake was something like that, I will fix my other bow tie to match and other wise leave things be.
phantomblack
Send a message