Blocking u-turns

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Blocking u-turns

Postby phantomblack » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:26 pm

gettingthere wrote:I would suggest altering the bow tie geometry. You won't be able to restrict the U-Turn with the dual cross streets.

Maybe I wasn't clear saying dual cross streets should have said two stacked streets or something this intersection seems to work fine I have tested in live map and client.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=8&lat ... TFTTFTTTTT

gettingthere wrote:I have altered the bowtie at the intersection so that it should not give extra turn instructions. You had extra geometry points that were likely causing the issue.

Thanks I figured my mistake was something like that, I will fix my other bow tie to match and other wise leave things be.
Wisconsin-based US Country Manager
phantomblack

Postby weeezer14 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:44 pm

gettingthere wrote:The Waze provided route on the Update Request (with the prompted turn turn at the intersection vs. no turn instruction) is exactly how the bowtie was set up prior to me editing it several minutes ago.

You know, I actually told myself to check the last modified date, but I didn't :D
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator
weeezer14

Postby MarionOaks » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:08 pm

Could I possibly see an example of a Mapcat bow tie (I read through the thread, and don't believe I seen any links to a map cat bow tie)
Map Editor Level: 4
Current project: Map Reports/Speed Limit Verification
Next Project(s): TBD
Devices:
Dell Inspiron for edits
Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge for the road
MarionOaks

Postby mapcat » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:24 pm

MarionOaks wrote:Could I possibly see an example of a Mapcat bow tie (I read through the thread, and don't believe I seen any links to a map cat bow tie)

https://www.waze.com/map-editor/?zoom=5 ... =-83.03005
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1
mapcat

Postby gettingthere » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:34 pm

PhantomBlack wrote:Maybe I wasn't clear saying dual cross streets should have said two stacked streets or something this intersection seems to work fine I have tested in live map and client.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=8&lat ... TFTTFTTTTT

In my opinion, stacked streets for this purpose should be avoided. Too difficult for future editors to identify that the roads are stacked.
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico
iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 9.3.1, Waze 4.4
Waze - PLEASE ADD CARPLAY SUPPORT
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby phantomblack » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:52 pm

gettingthere wrote:In my opinion, stacked streets for this purpose should be avoided. Too difficult for future editors to identify that the roads are stacked.

As discussed earlier that seems to be everyone's recommendation and why I switched to my failed attempt at bow ties. Problem is almost every intersection on E Washington is U-turn restricted. If I used bow ties on all of them the street would look like spaghetti in the client. If I am going to merge the two lanes at every intersection I might as well merge the entire road to a single two way.

Thing is when I talk to my Wazer co-workers they want to see the two one ways that is what they expect to see as it matches their view of the road. They didn't much care for the bow ties either.

I'll just leave it as it is for now, to be honest I'm curious to see how things turn out :)

Likely scenario, new editor unties the bows and enables all turns on stacked streets.
phantomblack

Postby sketch » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:10 pm

The best solution would be for Waze to allow for a way to tell the editor whether u-turns are allowed in these intersections.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby weeezer14 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:31 pm

This is where an intersection polygon could be useful. Many of us have mentioned it before. Connect roads to this special box and then you could allow/disallow paths out of the box.
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator
weeezer14

Postby jasonh300 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:33 pm

PhantomBlack wrote:Thing is when I talk to my Wazer co-workers they want to see the two one ways that is what they expect to see as it matches their view of the road. They didn't much care for the bow ties either.

Are these roads really separated widely enough to see the separation on the client? Or does it just look like a slightly fatter line?
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
South-Central Regional Coordinator
(LA/MS/AR...contact karlcr9911 for TX/OK related issues)
U.S. Champ, Global Champ
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice
Ask me about Louisiana Editors Chat in Google Hangouts!
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby phantomblack » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:03 pm

jasonh300 wrote:Are these roads really separated widely enough to see the separation on the client? Or does it just look like a slightly fatter line?

Depends on zoom level
Attachments
show.png
show.png (127.81 KiB) Viewed 1639 times
phantomblack

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor