This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by bgodette
bgodette wrote:
skbun wrote:The 'right route' especially at this time of year from Weaverville or Douglas City is CA-3 to Hyampom Rd, but even then you can see the routing engine fails to find it. That definitely shouldn't happen. How about for the sake of experimentation, because so few people drive this, I make Underwood and Corral bottom primaries, and Hyampom road a minor highway, and we see how it handles it on its next update? (This is a really good testbed.)
I predict that Burnt Ranch->Hyampom will work if you change Underwood and Corral Bottom to Primary. There is Type based pruning, but the rules aren't as simple as the NanoRep response seems. There's likely also different PtP/Driven ratios based on Type.
Well it gets farther but still doesn't make it. It has to be the PtP/Driven ratio that's killing it.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
skbun wrote:Can you explain what PtP/driven ratio is?
Point-to-Point distance vs Driven distance. There's pruning based on that ratio (the ratios are unknown), and it appears to be different based on Type.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
CBenson wrote:Why is this bizarre? This is exactly what the PtP/driven ratio pruning does. If the route is too circuitous the driven distance is too high compared to the point to point distance and waze doesn't find the route. If you increase the distance and that increase can be routed over straight roads, then the point to point distance becomes a higher fraction of the driven distance. If the fraction is high enough then waze finds the route.
Pretty much that. The ratio probably needs to be adjusted again by Waze.

It also demonstrates what I mentioned earlier that paved mountain roads that connect significant locations (eg towns) should be typed as Primary at a minimum.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
So, time to open a new thread in that other forum with specific examples of works and fails for the same effective routes with the only different that PtP/Driven and ask for the ratio to be adjusted again.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Why is this bizarre? This is exactly what the PtP/driven ratio pruning does. If the route is too circuitous the driven distance is too high compared to the point to point distance and waze doesn't find the route. If you increase the distance and that increase can be routed over straight roads, then the point to point distance becomes a higher fraction of the driven distance. If the fraction is high enough then waze finds the route.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
skbun wrote:Yeah, I mean, I know by demonstration that if I typed all paved rural roads as minor highways, I'd avoid this problem completely
I don't think so. Waze can't find a route from the minor highway in Shady Side to the minor highway on Tilghman Island here.
skbun wrote:I think why I called this behavior 'bizarre' is not so much because it doesn't make logical sense. It's because intuitively, I as a user of the app would expect that Waze shouldn't lose the ability to route to a destination as I near it.
Yeah, when you put it like that I do see why you call it bizarre.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
jasonh300 wrote:
CBenson wrote:I don't think so. Waze can't find a route from the minor highway in Shady Side to the minor highway on Tilghman Island here.
Bad permalink.
Maybe because waze can't find the route? The permalink gets you to the correct location over the Chesapeake Bay does it not? Go ahead and try to route from the highway in Shady Side on the Western shore to the highway on Tilghman Island on the Eastern Shore. Or for that matter try routing from any highway near the shore on one side to a highway near the shore on the other side.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gerben
I was already wondering if this topic and the freeway topic should be moved to the US forum, when another user used the 'report' button and asked the same thing, so I decided to move the topics.

If you have a good reason why these topics should be put back in the international part of the forum, please send me a PM.
gerben
Send a message
Nokia Lumia 920 (WP8 3.7.6 client)
Countrymanager The Netherlands
[img]https:///EcBKq[/img][img]https:///WS6zp[/img][img]https:///Y17fx[/img]https://img69.imageshack.us/img69/35/luiconring.png

Post by jasonh300
bgodette wrote: Interstates are always Freeway.
US Highways are sometimes Freeway if built to interstate standard, otherwise Major
State Highways are sometimes Freeway if built to interstate standard, otherwise Minor
Other roads (unnumbered) are sometimes Freeway if built to interstate standard, otherwise Primary or below depending on functional considerations.

But you would like routing to consider Primary to be the same as Minor as far as base transit cost and route pruning.
I agree with all of that except the last sentence in that I feel that Minor Highway should be given a higher priority over a Primary Street.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
mapcat wrote:Yes, but wasn't that exact issue brought up as a reason to eliminate the Avoid Highways option?
Not eliminate it. Just make it into "Avoid Freeways".
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message