Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by mapcat
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
mapcat wrote:Am I too optimistic in interpreting the following as doing exactly that?
krankyd wrote: * Shield generation: we'll check the automated process and add more items such as state rte xx or state rd xx. On the editor: we'll add a way to edit the shields and add them to a street.
From Follow up - US mega-wazers meetup, January 2012. If that's the case, the details you suggested certainly could be worked in.
I think are you. That, to me, sounds like the current state, but working on making sure the automated process catches changes to the shield without having to edit geometry to effect a tile rebuild to redo the shield graphic.
The part after "On the editor:" was what made me hopeful, since it sounded like they may be devising a new way for us to generate and/or correct shields.
mapcat
Send a message
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1

Post by sketch
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I've often thought that the timing of turn announcements should be time-based and not distance-based. Though the Waze alerts distance do change based on speed, it's sometimes not quite enough.
Yeah, Waze already does this. The maximum seems to be set at 1.0 miles, however, which I think should be doubled.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
Fully time-based would be nice but more difficult to program (vis-à-vis changes in speed, especially). We'd also have to consider that this would increase the number of sound files necessary to accommodate those who prefer not to have TTS or "Full" navigation guidance enabled.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
sketch wrote:Fully time-based would be nice but more difficult to program (vis-à-vis changes in speed, especially). We'd also have to consider that this would increase the number of sound files necessary to accommodate those who prefer not to have TTS or "Full" navigation guidance enabled.
True. Another one for 2mi when traveling > 55mph?
That should do it for the prerecorded prompts.

It should be noted that this is a proposal to space existing prompts further out, and not simply to add more prompts before existing ones. The recent write-up received mentioned "too many voice directions" as a gripe, and while I don't agree ENTIRELY, I certainly don't think we need any MORE, and I do see room for optimization (especially with groups of subsequent ramps).
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
I would just keep FR as Forest Route and leave the rest spelled out (Forest Service Road, Fire Road). I feel we'd be introducing a little too much complexity with these three letter abbreviations, especially in such an uncommon case as a National Park.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
I see. Perhaps if they're signed as FSR they should be announced as such?
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
bgodette wrote:Fly, ointment.

We really do just need a TTS override field for segments.
I don't think so. That'd be really difficult to get consistent for an entire state. It'd be better to get Waze involved and to get certain things introduced.

We need to get something together (in a dedicated thread) and get with the development team about getting things straight. I will be requesting that the team automatically change every "State Rte xx" and "State Hwy xx" into either "LA-xx" or "LA xx" (the former seems to fit better with current standards but the latter seems to be the official way to do it).
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
I want to say that having TTS call both state and federal highways "Route", even if that's what's done locally, is too far. There needs to be some differentiation here.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by slicer
Voted, even if I'm not using the US server !

Do you define a special twitter tag ? And will someone make a timeline in live ? like @tomagui for the european meetup ?
slicer
Emeritus Local Champ
Emeritus Local Champ
Send a message
Ghost
Android User

Post by Spil
bgodette wrote:
CBenson wrote:
bgodette wrote: I am unsure of US-###.
US-50 is "you ess fifty."
Do we wish that changed to say "you ess highway" to match the eventual SH saying "State Highway"?
Folks 'round these here parts generally just call US routes "you ess number", so what we currently have in the TTS matches local speech (at least in my area).
Spil
Send a message
I'm Spil, and I approve this message! :D
~ ~ AM: Upstate NY; CM: USA/Canada ~ ~
Wazing the I-86 Corridor with my Casio C771 G'zOne Commando
New York Editors: To-Do List!
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/c/c8/W ... 00k_6c.png