Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by sketch
Robert04101 wrote:Regarding the Road Type/Exceptions section:

WME now has Routing (Preferred/Neutral/Unfavored) that (supposedly) tweaks up or down the status of a segment, e.g. a Preferred PS is treated by the routing engine as a mH. Shouldn't we be using this mechanism to manage the exceptions discussed in this section, rather than actually reclassifying the road?
I think the answer to this is "yes", considering we would want to lock any deviation from FC higher than normal anyway. I brought this up a few weeks ago in some chats, but much to my surprise, when I checked, the routing preference setting wasn't in the wiki at all. How do you write guidance to use a tool that isn't documented?
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by syborg_sasquatch
vickimachado wrote:And we're still working on finding a usable FC map. :roll: The link in the Wiki for HI only works for those who can log into their restricted database. I've emailed the DOT to see if they have something for general-public consumption.
It looks like you can access the FC map by first going to the Highways Division GIS Portal Main Menu at http://hwypgis.dot.hawaii.gov/HDOT/index_2nd.htm using Internet Explorer (map would not render in Chrome). Click on "Functional Class" on the menu and install the AdobeSVG plug-in.

Unfortunately, it's not a user friendly interface and the latest data is from 2006. Although, Virginia's last official FC update was in 2005. :shock:
syborg_sasquatch
Send a message
Chuck H. | Rank 3 Editor
Samsung Galaxy S4 | Android 4.2.2 | Waze 3.7.8
DC Wiki | MD Wiki | VA Wiki

Post by t0cableguy
Parking Lot Roads have a transition penalty when exiting the Parking Lot road segment. This should prevent Waze from routing you through a Parking Lot or an alley as a shortcut.
As with Parking Lot Roads , a route over a Private Road will incur a transition penalty upon leaving it for another road type.
can we make these uniform. The Private road style is much more clear.
We should also note that going from a parking lot road to another parking lot road or private road to private does not incur a penalty.

Also that private road to parking lot road and vice versa may not incur a penalty as expected.
t0cableguy
Send a message
I'm no longer editing. Please don't contact me with things regarding Waze, unless you want the info on how to take over the SE URcomments list. Then email or send me a message on GHO at gmail.com t0cableguy@

Post by t0cableguy
CBenson wrote:
t0cableguy wrote:Also that private road to parking lot road and vice versa may not incur a penalty as expected.
Why not?
I'll get back to you in a few days with a test example.
t0cableguy
Send a message
I'm no longer editing. Please don't contact me with things regarding Waze, unless you want the info on how to take over the SE URcomments list. Then email or send me a message on GHO at gmail.com t0cableguy@

Post by t0cableguy
PesachZ wrote:
t0cableguy wrote:
As with Parking Lot Roads , a route over a Private Road will incur a transition penalty upon leaving it for another road type.

We should also note that going from a parking lot road to another parking lot road or private road to private does not incur a penalty.
Isn't that already mentioned (emphasized above)?[/u][/b]
to a new editor. no. its not emphasized above. I have had conversations with the entire SE group for hours about this topic.
t0cableguy
Send a message

Post by t0cableguy
SanzClew wrote:I'm coming into this late so this may have been discussed already. The new Private Roads section is really nicely done and helpful. I was, however, struggling to jump from that section to a discussion about driveway segments and couldn't find a link to that area in that topic. Eventually I scrolled down far enough to hit the special case section on that page.

Would it be feasible to briefly mention that some Driveways can be specifically shown as private roads and drop the link to the Driveways page in the bulk of the Private Roads paragraph?

Thanks
I'll second this, the driveways and bus or cab only lanes probably isn't best located after the "Non Drivable Roads Section" or any of the other topics that apply to things we actually map on a regular basis.
t0cableguy
Send a message

Post by t0cableguy

Consider that as you travel across individual segments of the same type waze does not apply penalties.
In the example above the "correct" crossovers incur a penalty when crossing the divided road,
while the "incorrect" crossovers do not incur a penalty. The incorrect versions actually encourage the routing engine to route across the divided road into the other parking lot instead of immediately turning onto the divided road. Please keep this in mind when mapping these types of roadways to prevent bad routing.

A picture is worth 1000 words. Maybe visual examples would be best applied here.

i'm not sure we want to get too far into best mapping practices though.
t0cableguy
Send a message

Post by t0cableguy
PesachZ wrote:
t0cableguy wrote:

Consider that as you travel across individual segments of the same type waze does not apply penalties.
In the example above the "correct" crossovers incur a penalty when crossing the divided road,
while the "incorrect" crossovers do not incur a penalty. The incorrect versions actually encourage the routing engine to route across the divided road into the other parking lot instead of immediately turning onto the divided road. Please keep this in mind when mapping these types of roadways to prevent bad routing.

A picture is worth 1000 words. Maybe visual examples would be best applied here.

This does not explain what you said earlier that private to plr or vice versa might not incur a penalty. The reason there is no penalty in these example is because the route doesn't exit to a different type

Sent from Android using Tapatalk
I didn't explain that because i was wating on some test segments to go live, Waze properly applied the penalties, so foot in mouth.
t0cableguy
Send a message

Post by t0cableguy
txemt wrote:
t0cableguy wrote: Consider that as you travel across individual segments of the same type waze does not apply penalties.

It doesn't even have to be a split road.
Agreed, I just thought the examples illustrate the issue clearly. PLR To PLR across a non penalized street type doesn't incur a penalty so it can and will cause major issues.
t0cableguy
Send a message

Post by t0cableguy
Ideally we will be able to restrict the crossover due to road markings, or barriers, as shown by the selected segment below. A second option for roads that are divided or marked to prevent the crossover will be to not share the same junction node at the street. If these cases are not ideal the example described below will allow proper routing without causing other issues.

Permalink to actual segments
(I have modified the WME permalinked example to not have both street attached segment set as PLR as only one is needed to be street)

Waze does not apply a penalty when traversing consecutive parking lot road segments. This is illustrated by the example above.

Waze will route through the "green" route, crossing the street, and into the adjacent parking lot when there is no break in the parking lot road route. This is because waze does not apply the penalty until you exit the southwest quadrant parking lot. Thers is NO penalty for crossing the street junction. Many users will complain about this routing unless there is a signal to allow the easy crossing of the street.

The "blue" route shows the ideal routing onto the main street, This prevents Waze from routing across the public street into an adjacent parking lot. This is caused because when waze attempts to use the incorrect route, waze applies two different penalties, one for exiting the northeast quadrant parking lot and one for exiting the southeast quadrant parking lot
t0cableguy
Send a message