The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Better definition for each setting

Post by zeo_hound
Hello,

I wish waze programmers could provide to us better information about each setting on editor. Wiki explain but its not completely clear. Explanation there is more to USA since it compares to USA streets.
I am reffering mostly to the road settings. We have a lot of types of roads. Sometimes we dont know which type of road to select.
I think that if waze programmers explain what each option does, it would clarify us how to use them better.
Everything exists for a reason, knowing why it exists or how it works is the best explanation you can give to someone.

Thanks!
zeo_hound

POSTER_ID:4634530

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Can you give an example of a "setting" for which there isn't enough info? And for which country?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
The Editing manual has links to How to label and name roads as well as Map Legend, which together I feel give a pretty good idea of what each road type is for.

If you are thinking specifically about how waze prefers or penalizes each in terms of routing, then that information isn't published. We have gathered some information from them informally and have inferred information from usage, but it's not documented. Part of that may be due to laziness or being relatively guarded due to being part of their routing algorithms which they may keep private on purpose.

EDIT: Deleting part about other country-specific pages available in the wiki.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
MarcL20 wrote:My thoughts are that these settings only changes the way the gps talks to you.
Segment type will only affect what the GPS says when it comes to splits in the road, which have not been properly defined, but we know that segment type and angle of the split and the name on all connected segments defines if the GPS will give a verbal instruction. In terms of how often the GPS gives turn instructions, then segment type has no effect. The speed you are traveling determines when it gives instructions.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

antigerme
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message
https://sites.google.com/a/felicio.com. ... brazil.png AM - Salvador/L. de Freitas
Looking for a job
Employer: "We need someone responsible for the job."
Candidate: "Sir your search ends here! In my previous job whenever something went wrong, everybody said I was responsible."
* não me responsabilizo por danos em sua vista

Post by gettingthere
I don't believe that there is any known difference in routing between freeways, major or minor highways.

I edit in Tijuana Mexico and we don't have any road that could be classified as a Freeway either. No problem, just don't use that highway type.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by gettingthere
Most of this is covered in the Wiki. But as you state the main Waze Wiki is geared towards the USA. There are other more specific guidelines for other countries. If there needs to be more specific info for your country you can get something started. (in the local language, if appropriate)
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by zeo_hound
The road types. For example, for Freeways, it says what a freeway is and compares to some in US. But what is the difference waze makes between freeway and highway for example? We dont have freeways in my city, but knowing what the difference waze makes, We could still use it to enhance routes.
zeo_hound
Send a message

Post by zeo_hound
We still have service roads and ramps, private, etc. Imo, would be nice to know whats waze interpretation on each. Ramps can be used for returns (u-turns)?
zeo_hound
Send a message
Last edited by zeo_hound on Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post by zeo_hound
My thoughts are that these settings only changes the way the gps talks to you.
zeo_hound
Send a message