Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate WME version release thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

Forum rules
You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

Execute permalinks without refreshing page

Post by aBshield
I haven't seen any activity on this subject via searches in the past six months, so per this forums guidance, I'm starting a new thread.

I've noticed that WME chat, or perhaps specifically the WME Chat addon script, allows PLs to be followed without refreshing the entire WME browser web page. This is a very nice feature since the chat window itself is not refreshed and neither is the state of that session nor all the loaded scripts. This really saves time when reviewing multiple PLs highlighting segments to understand a complex problem you're reviewing with someone outside of WME chat. There's a few other examples where the editor can currently jump to locations without a refresh (such as the stock "areas" interface), so this wouldn't seem to be a very far stretch of existing functionality.

I'd like to see this extended for the general editor. I had the same thoughts as this previous, and dated, forum thread that suggested the WME search box accept PLs directly. Since you can jump around by zip code or address searches without a refresh, I think this would integrate in nicely. The editor shouldn't really have a problem parsing out a PL. Being able to specify IDs for segments, nodes, etc. without a refresh would also help, but handling the PL directly would be the most convenient by far. By isolating this behavior to the search box, you'd also have the flexibility to load the PL in a new window or refresh the page as it works now if that's your objective.

At the very least, are there any scripts that aid in this?
aBshield
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

POSTER_ID:17124552

Send a message

Post by aBshield
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:WME Bookmarks makes the Search box work just as you wish.
This is exactly what I was looking for. I don't know how I missed this script in searches other than to say this isn't the script's primary purpose. Appreciate the recommendation.
aBshield
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
aBshield wrote:At the very least, are there any scripts that aid in this?
WME Bookmarks makes the Search box work just as you wish.

But the general ability to "intercept" a permalink from a webpage or other source is outside the ability, I think, of WME. Because it is the browser which gets the link and opens a new window to load it. That's just basic browser functionality and I'm not sure how an existing WME window could be reopened in this case.

But certainly, other areas of the WME interface which may display a permalink, like the Permalink button! should be able to be modified to load without refreshing the browser window.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ