The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by gettingthere
CBenson wrote:Because I don't feel qualified to delete valid information that does not cause any problems. All things being equal (or unknown) the more data the better.
So do you not add new roads that are not part of the initial TIGER data? We are editors. We are updating the maps. It's our decision on what needs to be done in regards to updating the maps. You are 'qualified' to make the call.

With all of this said, do what you think is best for the area you are working.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by gettingthere
Really, there is no valid reason to have a true, don't route me onto this road 'no entrance'. (to clarify, I am referring to no-entrance, do not enter, no routing permitted - which does not and has never existed in Waze.)

* If the road can be driven in one direction or another, the proper direction should be set.
* If the 'road' is a non-drivable road type does it really belong on the Waze map for commuters driven vehicle types?
* If the non-drivable 'road' really needs to be on the map and should not be routed on by Waze it shouldn't need to be marked as 'no entrance' in any case. Waze should be fixed not to route commuters driving vehicles onto non-drivable road types.
* In regards to construction, several alternatives have been suggested in in this thread. You don't need a 'no entrance' setting for construction.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
AlanOfTheBerg wrote: I'm glad what they wrote matches what they told us before and what's documented.
Of course the million dollar question - when?
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
The point I am trying to make is if Waze fixed/improved the following things, there would be no need for 'no entrance':

* Routing an inappropriate short-cut through Private Roads.
* Routing an inappropriate short-cut through Parking Lots.
* Making sure all non-drivable road types can't be used for routing, never.

Harling has it right - we should not have to continue to come up with hacks to get Waze to route properly. These things need to be resolved by Waze in the routing server code.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
CBenson wrote:But will they destroy turn restrictions like parking lot roads do now in the future? ;)
Right. Waze - please - Private Roads need to be a routable road type that respect turn restrictions.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
foxitrot wrote:Routing through Private Roads should mainly respect the "privacy" aspect. The editors have no other tool to achieve this.
Absolutely correct. So we need to get Waze to change how Private Roads work to meet the needs of the users of their product.

Again, the main issue at hand is Waze should not route people through areas of Private Roads as a shortcut to another valid route. Really, the requirements are as simple as this.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
RallyChris wrote:But if we talking about changing functionality, let's rollout the temporary closure portal. Allow roads to be left unedited, with their current stats (speeds, directionality, turn usage, etc.) in place and put a waze generated closed report, that is done in a way that effects routing.
To add a suggestion - and do this in a way where the data can be available to the routing server and client immediately vs. waiting for a map tile update. Waze staff could use this also when working with local TV station affiliates to be able to close roads for high profile projects (think Carmageddon and the recent SF Bay Bridge closure).
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
CBenson wrote:While that would work, shouldn't you be able to address your own reported map issues with becoming an area manager?
Assuming you submitted the Map Issue from the Waze application vs. Live Map and that the process that is assigning editing permissions is working correctly...

Or that the issue is not with closing the Map Issue / Update Request itself but not being able to make the actual edits to fix the problem if the map elements are locked.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
Simple workaround here....

* Select one segment
* Change the directionality
* Then move on to the next segment
* Save when done

And don't forget to update the turn restrictions at each intersection ;)

Really, how often are we changing long sections or road with many segments to one-way or from one direction one-way to the other direction?
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
james_8970 wrote:This happens when new editors feel that what I selected as a minor highway and they feel its a major highway, etc. This is why I brought it up.
I don't quite understand how this is related to the one-way issue described in the previous posts.

I agree with AlanOfTheBerg - thanks for helping with mapping and providing suggestions on improving. AlanOfTheBerg, I, and most everyone else here are part of the Waze Community not Waze employees, just like you.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message