Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Contacting local authorities - where to put this in wiki

Post by mrsmith66
I have written a letter to a local police department requesting information to help us with Waze. One of my SMs has suggested that we publish it (probably with some information removed) as an example so that other editors have something to refer to when writing similar letters.

Where in the wiki would this go? It's own page? Do we have something on local authorities?
mrsmith66
State Manager
State Manager
Answers: 1

POSTER_ID:16674084

Send a message

Post by Inactive user -1649923503-
Start with creating its own wiki page on your individual user page and then post it here. Gets the formatting right and then helps us figure out where best to put it.

Is this a FOIA type letter or more a CCP type letter?
Inactive user -1649923503-
Send a message
-John
-------
https://j.mp/1BqcgbWhttps://s.waze.tools/c5.png
VT - State Manager
New England - Multi State Manager

KTCAOP wrote:Hrm... are we allowed to express an affiliation to Waze?

.-.
Good question.

I think one of the key parts is that we are volunteers for waze. We are editing and maintaining the map and effectively doing work that waze also hires IGN editors to do as well. So our role is a component of the business model. You actually be surprised from a legal standpoint often the protection volunteers have with an organization (although typically this is in the non-profit realm) and I am not familiar with rules specific to a for profit organization and maybe don't want to open that can of worms.

I would actually see more problems potentially not identifying ourselves being associated with a commercial service/product that may result in the release of information that is not allowed in that capacity for use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Send a message
-John
-------
VT - State Manager

I was just following up and seeing if you had any luck or more thoughts on this letter. I was considering contacting some local chamber of commerce about businesses and use a form letter to try and get more information from them about the local business. I find that a lot of the smaller businesses are likely to have affiliations with them but the larger ones may not. It might be a good way to help build up places in an area.

Thoughts?
Send a message
-John
-------
VT - State Manager

Post by CBenson
I'm not sure what you mean by express an affiliation. We are allowed to tell the truth.

Do you have a suggestion that would be more clear or more truthful than self identifying as volunteer map editors for waze?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
I don't think we have permission or authority to represent ourselves as Waze representatives. I can say that I do not put any title with my signature on communications that I send regarding waze to those outside the waze community. But in the context of explaining what waze map editors really are and how we can work with whomever I'm contacting, I don't have a problem using terms like volunteer map editor. I do emphasize the local community because that both distinguishes map editors from Waze/Google staff and because on some issues I feel that local officials are more sympathetic to the local community. I do not identify myself as a concerned citizen because frequently I'm not a citizen of the jurisdictions from which I'm seeking information and because I don't want to be passed to whomever in the organization deals with FOIA requests.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by FzNk
mrsmith66 wrote:SO .... meanwhile, where should this go?

The NJ folks will put it as a page off their wiki page if there isn't a national place for it.
I believe the initial suggestion is the best course of action.
johnsninja58 wrote:Start with creating its own wiki page on your individual user page and then post it here. Gets the formatting right and then helps us figure out where best to put it.
FzNk
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

NWR Assistant Regional Coordinator :: Oregon State Manager
Waze Beta Leader (Android) :: WME Beta

Post by KTCAOP
Hrm... are we allowed to express an affiliation to Waze?

I always felt as though we needed to be careful about saying that we were "Waze map editors" due to the possibility that they feel as though we are speaking on behalf of Waze or are officially affiliated or endorsed by Waze, which we aren't. We are just users that are contributing a service. While we may even say we are volunteers, I don't believe we can log our hours or have any official claim of volunteer work unlike some other organizations.

.-.
KTCAOP
Send a message

Post by KTCAOP
CBenson wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by express an affiliation. We are allowed to tell the truth.

Do you have a suggestion that would be more clear or more truthful than self identifying as volunteer map editors for waze?
That we are citizens of the city, county, state, asking for a release of public information. We are allowed to do whatever we want with that information as they should be public record. If asked, then we can say that we have a desire to add the information into various or particular navigation applications such as Waze and/or Google maps.

If I go into City Hall and ask for a listing of all of the speed limits within the municipality, then I can do so because I need it to fight a court battle, because I am a developer/contractor, because I am a Waze Map editor, or just because I want to know the information. They usually don't ask, usually don't need to know, and every time I have I have made it clear that *I* am the one requesting the information, not Waze, not Google, nor any of their affiliates.

We can ask the municipality, as concerned citizens, to become connected into Waze officially through the CCP, however, outside of that, I do feel a little bit wary of making such lines as "I am a volunteer for Waze" and signing that I am an "Area Manager" for Waze. Such things to me make me feel as though I am speaking to a Waze representative and that this person is reaching out to me on behalf of Waze, rather than a local concerned citizen that wants to offer assistance utilizing a specific service.

I may be too conservative in this measure and by all means I do not mean to say that the letter is bad at all or anything like that. I am more stating that I would be intensely uncomfortable presenting such a letter to someone at my city hall and was unsure if we have the permission or the authority to represent ourselves as Waze representatives in such a manner.
KTCAOP
Send a message

Post by mrsmith66
Just a friendly note. "Hey, we're these Waze map editor people. We are having problem X. Can you help us help you by keeping traffic flowing efficiently?"
mrsmith66
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message