Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Welcoming New Editors

Post by PleaseDriveFast
As Waze is having more introduction to map editing webinars, we are being counted on to help new editors engage with the local community.

Starting today, we've implemented a new tracking sheet to keep track of new editors and any Private Messages (PM) that have been sent to the editor. Currently, we are pending integration with our Discord WazeBot.

The tracking effort rolled out to our Northeast and New England regions with NY and NJ being early adopters. Please make an effort to use the following instructions so we can keep up with new editor outreach.

STEP 1: When a new editor is found that is not yet known to the local community, use the following command in the #new_jersey Discord channel on the Waze NOR Editors regional server.

Code: Select all

!editorwelcome
You will then need to manually search the New Editor Sheet using the find function. If you receive no match, please proceed to step 2.

STEP 2: If you receive "No match found," then no community member has sent a welcome message. We encourage you to send a message to the editor. You may draft your own letter or use the following link as a guide.

Once a PM has been sent, please complete the NE² Region New Editor Welcome Letter Tracker. The form can be submitted multiples times for the same editor, and the spreadsheet will automatically update to show each submitted form.

IMPORTANT: If you are inviting editors to join our community, please ensure you're using the official communications channels listed on the community section on our New Jersey Wazeopedia. This includes the link to join our NOR Discord server

If you have any questions, please use this thread as this is an on-going, evolving process. Also, please use !wb commands responsibly and avoid spamming the channel. Thanks!
PleaseDriveFast

POSTER_ID:16599649

Send a message
Last edited by PleaseDriveFast on Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post by aBshield
Looks good. Reviewing the current sheet I'm already seeing some communication duplication and overlap, so I think this is a great idea.
PleaseDriveFast wrote:Once a PM has been sent, please complete the NE² Region New Editor Welcome Letter Tracker. This will allow the Waze Bot command in step 1 to function properly.
Do we use this same form for updates (say if the new editor reads the PM or responds) or is there somewhere else to update already-submitted information to avoid duplicates? I'd assume as long as the same new editor username is used on the form again that it will avoid creating duplicates, correct?

EDIT: The form was since appended with guidance.
aBshield
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor
Send a message
Last edited by aBshield on Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by aBshield
Mainly for my own reference since I keep misplacing this, here is the Waze Bot command for easily pulling up the links for the new editor submission form and spreadsheet. Like the lookup, it must be executed in a state HO provisioned for the tracking sheet.

!editorwelcome
aBshield
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor
Send a message

Post by JB15TM
Awesome! We've been maintaining an outreach sheet in MI for about a year now. Many of those contacts have turned in to good editors and were growing our base. Plus, you have a database for some of the others that don't respond - when they pop later with continuing problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JB15TM
Master Raider
Master Raider
Send a message

Post by NJMedic2535
krzycholub wrote:Can we add one more "column" to the sheet - to add GHO names?
I second that idea!
NJMedic2535
State Manager
State Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message

Post by PhantomSoul
PleaseDriveFast wrote:A new scenario came up, and one that I didn't anticipate. Thanks to mrsmith66 for bring this to my attention.

Sending a private message (PM) requires the editor have a forum account. If the editor never visited the forum, you will be unable to send a PM and will receive an error message.

Some ideas to address this are:

1: Stalk WME chat and see if you can raise their attention.

2: Drop a Livemap UR, and try to ask them to send you a PM. You can include a link in the PM using the following link structure.

https://www.waze.com/forum/ucp.php?i=pm&mode=compose&username=[YOUR EDITOR NAME
]&subject=[INSERT SUBJECT]

Feel free to post any other tips or tricks.
If the new editor cannot be reached using any of these or other means, and their editing is destructive, please escalate to local area management, or if you are an AM, please escalate to state management.

Thanks! :)
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by PhantomSoul
Not yet. :( we can ask @PZ in the meantime...
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by PleaseDriveFast
aBshield wrote:Do we use this same form for updates (say if the new editor reads the PM or responds) or is there somewhere else to update already-submitted information to avoid duplicates? I'd assume as long as the same new editor username is used on the form again that it will avoid creating duplicates, correct?
Yes, you use the same form. There's a script that processes the data which then amends the existing entry for an editor that has been contacted.
PleaseDriveFast
Send a message

Post by PleaseDriveFast
A new scenario came up, and one that I didn't anticipate. Thanks to mrsmith66 for bring this to my attention.

Sending a private message (PM) requires the editor have a forum account. If the editor never visited the forum, you will be unable to send a PM and will receive an error message.

Some ideas to address this are:

1: Stalk WME chat and see if you can raise their attention.

2: Drop a Livemap UR, and try to ask them to send you a PM. You can include a link in the PM using the following link structure.

https://www.waze.com/forum/ucp.php?i=pm&mode=compose&username=[YOUR EDITOR NAME
]&subject=[INSERT SUBJECT]

Feel free to post any other tips or tricks.
PleaseDriveFast
Send a message