Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by AlanOfTheBerg
DwarfLord wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Already, MT = "mountain" according to the big list.
Does this mean "Mt St Helens Dr" would TTS as "Mountain Saint Helens Drive"? In that case street names beginning with "Mount" should probably continue to spell it out.
Yes. When in doubt, spell it out is the mantra. I've added "Mt" to our request list to Waze.
DwarfLord wrote:I am curious about this topic but as I do not quite know where the "big list" is officially documented...
This is the community-built list which merely documents how TTS has been heard to work. It is a Drive document, link is at the top of this thread.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
sketch wrote: Is that only for MT in caps though? I'm rather certain "Exit 2xx: N River Rd / Mt Clemens" is pronounced properly, as of late last year.
The list is case sensitive so I don't think "Mt" had ever been officially tested.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Further testing has revealed a couple issues, possibly with exception programming, possibly with the base Nuance system in how it implements grep:
  • "St" at the beginning of a segment name is pronounced "saint"
  • "N" which follows another programmed abbreviation exception is pronounced "enn" (E, W, S are all OK after abbreviations)
  • "BUS" fails to expand to "business" if it is at the segment end.
Notes:
I confirmed my supposition based on the rule structure that in order to pronounce the letter name rather than the cardinal, you just need a non-spoken non-whitespace character in front of the letter. So, in our current naming standard, the closing single quote isn't required by the rules, but I think we keep it in place because it looks more correct:
  • S E St = "south east street"
  • S 'E' St = "south ee street"
  • S 'E St = "south ee street"
The following full test results from today (still have a couple more to do during lunch):
SH-219 S = "state highway two nineteen south"
SH-411 N = "state highway four eleven north"
S 'E St = "south ee street"
SH-8 BUS N = "state highway 8 business enn"
SH-8 BUS S = "state highway 8 business south"
CR-699 BUS N = "county road six ninety nine business enn"
I-5 BUS N = "eye five business enn"
St A St. = "saint a saint"
Hello Natl Thwy S = "hello national throughway south"
'W St. 'N N = "double you saint enn enn"
I-82 BUS E = "eye eighty two business east"
Jr. B St. Dr. = "junior bee saint doctor"
CR-12 BUS S = "county road twelve business south"
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
sketch wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:"St" at the beginning of a segment name is pronounced "saint"
I don't believe this to be a problem. As long as "St" is still pronounced "Street" at the end, before a slash, and before another abbreviation, it's fine. There are so many instances of "St", no period, meaning "saint" on the map that it would be a mistake to change the way "St" behaves without addressing them all.

Besides, wasn't the problem that "St"/"St." was being pronounced "Street" in the wrong places, not the other way around?
It may not be a problem generally but 1) we want 100% positional independence, and 2) I bet there is one street named street somewhere. :)
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
sketch wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:It may not be a problem generally but 1) we want 100% positional independence, and 2) I bet there is one street named street somewhere. :)
Ehhh... do we really though, in this case? Maybe, but it's going to be a mess. And if there's a street named Street, "Street" wouldn't be abbreviated anyway.
Perhaps not. I was going by our guidelines which have been "abbreviations do not vary based on where they are." We can start making a list of exceptions to this rule, or can stick to it.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
sketch wrote:I don't doubt that there is a legitimate interest in divorcing TTS expansion from position. And I'm not saying "St" should never be location-independent. But the map isn't ready.

If "St." is now "saint" we can get going on that sort of edit-a-thon. But I think some time should be allowed to pass before the change to the TTS is made. There should be some sort of balance here.
I say start renaming everything starting with "St" which should be 'saint' now to avoid problems. As it is now, 'saint' is pronounced both at the beginning and sometimes in the middle of a segment name, eg. "Mt St Helens"
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Latest testing results, failed items in red.

Mt. St. Helens Rd E = "mount saint helens road east"
Mt St Helens Dr = "mount saint helens drive"
Mt. St Helens Rd N = "mount saint helens road north"
Marx Ste. Marie = "marks sweet maree"

I have also noted that "Mt" and "Mt." both say "mount" but "Mt." sounds ... strange. It takes longer to say "mount" and there's a longer space after the word. "Mt" should be the standard.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
sketch wrote:"SR" and "SH" don't depend on whether there's a hyphen, do they? Relying on the hyphen is too opaque imo.
They do. Hyphens are important, if only at least to ensure proper abbreviation usage.

As of this moment, we need to immediately remove the custom abbreviation for "FM" and "NE" as they are both being incorrectly pronounced as state/territory name. Are there any other problematic state abbreviations which conflict with other existing abbreviations that we need to work on in a more detailed manner?

And, yeah, IMO, I don't know why we would ever really need any state name in segment names, but I'm sure it exists somewhere.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
A couple thoughts which may already be addressed: 1) saying the full name of a state for the two letter abbreviation is different than saying the appropriate phrase for "XY-###" where XY is the state abbreviation (or just M for michigan). The key is defining the abbreviation with and without the hyphen. I think we should all agree, and it won't cause too much angst, that state routes should use a hyphen to help with abbreviation rule; 2) as noted above and later "BUS" only fails if it begins or ends a segment name; 3) "N" failing to say "north" happens when it is preceded by a custom abbreviation.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
CBenson wrote: Is the expansion of state abbreviations like "MD" now universal? This was with Samantha.
With the update of all state abbreviations submitted a couple weeks ago, yes. Possibly. Yes. Personally, I think we may need to pull them all back and rethink each, one at a time, including their usage within strings so we can say letter names or full state name in specific circumstances.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message