Post by SeZAKxing
PesachZ wrote:Private allows traffic jam highlightimg, PLR does not. So private should be used for private streets which are used for driving not parking.

Edit: I'd like to see the rationale be
Private where there is a physical (gate, guard), or legal (Do Not Enter, No Trespassing signs) barrier to driving the segment.

PLR for others where we need the penalty such as parking lots, inside gas stations, etc. Which don't meet the private criteria.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2
Yes. lets keep it simple.

PLR unless physical or legal barrier then PR. NEVER EVER Trail, Boardwalk, Staircase
or
no roads at all EVER, just the area marker.
SeZAKxing
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
(random character guy)
images/ranks/EditLevel4_Badge.png
Area Manager in VA; Culpeper to Amherst, Rockingham to Cumberland

Post by sketch
qwaletee wrote:I'm still looking for a rationale based on how Waze uses them differently. So far, the closest alignment I can see between current practice and the system is as follows:

Private installations are essentially streets, but with unusual restrictions of entry. Therefore, Private Road is appropriate, because the entry/exit points shoudl have speed tracked like any other street.

Parking lots and driveways usually have no need for speed data, so they should be PLR. However, a very large parking lot, such as at some very large malls with multiple highway connections and their own "arterials," may actually benefit from speed data. Check out Garden State Plaza. I only wish Waze was smarter about routing me out of there.
I think this may be based on a misunderstanding. PLRs don't show jam highlights. They do keep speed data.

Besides display of the segments themselves (live map currently, client undoubtable future), this is the big difference.
Alleys are marked in some states as PLR. Since they may have legitimate routing, they may benefit form Private Road. (And of course, my broken record pitch: I think alleys should be set to street, and let Waze figure out that they are slow.)
This might depend on the type alley, local laws, etc. I doubt it's universally legal to travel through alleys willy-nilly.
Other uses? Should be based on whether they are likely to be used as one of several alternative paths that should have speed measured.
Like I said, possible on PLRs as well ;)

http://i.imgur.com/JnbPOmQl.jpg

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... 232&zoom=4
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
qwaletee wrote:OK, thanks sketch. Now, substitute jam for speed in my post. Does it still make sense?
Of course, and whether or not jam highlighting is desirable/sensible makes sense as a criterion for the Private/PL decision. Parking lots contain slow-moving traffic by nature, whereas private roads may not.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
PesachZ wrote:There is also the element of display, in WME, Livemap, and hopefully in client v4.0 PRs will display differently than streets, making it useful for driver knowledge to map them appropriately.
Sent using Tapatalk for Android
Agreed. If the Garmin I had back in 2007 had properly displayed one southwest Virginia driveway as a private road, I wouldn't have been chased down the highway with a shotgun. :roll:
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
DwarfLord wrote: OK, this makes sense. But doesn't this take us away from "when in doubt, PLR" back to "when in doubt, PR"?

To continue the metaphor, drivers need to know about potential shotguns. Whether the road is a "network" or not, or for "parking" or not, is irrelevant to the driver once there is a shotgun involved. Thus "when in doubt, PR".

If we adopt the word "restricted" (in lieu of "shotgun") and can come up with a definition for "restricted" that doesn't force us to change an apartment complex from PLR to PR just because they install a gate, maybe we're on the right track.
Not really. It's "use your head". Some redneck's gravel driveway is not a parking lot. A road that says "no thru traffic" is not a parking lot. What's a parking lot? Parking lots, and their effects (entrances/exits thereto/from; drive-thru lanes therein/thereby).

Are there fringe cases? Sure. Are any of these fringe cases? No.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
qwaletee wrote:I know it has been a while, but my apologies.
sketch wrote: Agreed. If the Garmin I had back in 2007 had properly displayed one southwest Virginia driveway as a private road, I wouldn't have been chased down the highway with a shotgun. :roll:
Just keep your shirt on next time. :roll:
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
College campus roads would be Private Road if access is restricted. A college campus is not a parking lot. Parking lots within a college campus would however be PLR.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
DwarfLord wrote:In fact, to interpret Waze's "Private Road" type literally is not consistent with current editing practice. We don't interpret "Highway", "Walking Trail", or "Pedestrian Boardwalk" literally, so I'm not sure why the concern about interpreting "Private Road" literally as opposed to focusing on its routing behavior.
"Highway", "Walking Trail", and "Pedestrian Boardwalk" all have routing behaviors different than their plain meanings, however nuanced. The only things differentiating Private Road from Parking Lot Road are jam highlighting and livemap appearance. It's not quite the same situation.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by top_gun_de
In Germany, a Private Road is defined as a road that is not open to general traffic for trespassing, instead it is limited to people with a legitimate purpose in the area that is covered by the Private Road. I.e. a DHL-driver can drive there to deliver a parcel in the private road, but he may not trespass it as a shortcut to a destination behind the PLR.

This will vary from country to country and needs to be adapted to the current law.

A PLR, on the other hand, is used for parking lots (including freeway parking lots) and for roads on private places, i.e. gas stations.

Imho each country needs its own definition to separate between private roads and parking lots, I do not think anyone can come up with a universally matching definition.

Best regards,

Detlev
top_gun_de
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by top_gun_de
Thx, I corrected my original post :)
top_gun_de
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message