Forum rules
The place to ask for help when editing in the UK.

Map Editing Guidelines . Join the UK Discord Server

Car Park Guidelines for the Parking Project

Post by iainhouse
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
:!: These guidelines are superseded by the Wazeopedia page on Car Parks since 11 Nov 2017.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last year, Waze unleashed the "Parking Project" on us. After 5 months, Waze have finally released support for private/restricted car parks. With this originally missing, we were forced to issue guidelines to delete/not map such car parks. As a result, many will have been deleted. Now they can be properly mapped.

Examples and more detailed explanations are hidden behind the Show buttons.

Which car parks to map
  • If there is a distinctly-marked area where cars can park, separated from the road and with it's own driveable segments, it should be mapped.
  • If the car parking spaces are accessed directly from the road, this is on-street parking and should not be mapped, whether or not there are car park signs. On-street parking will be a future phase of the Parking Project.
How to map them
  • All mapped car parks must be areas. Because of how the Parking Project is supposed to work with the client, Waze needs to be able to "capture" the event of a driver entering a car park, and that won't work with point places.
  • Parking Lot Road segments should be added, but only the minimal amount as detailed in the Wiki here and here.
  • Mark the car park as Public, Restricted or Private. This is important, as Waze will soon stop offering Restricted and Private car parks to app users when nearing a destination.
    • If you can park there and when go where you please, use Public. Where a car park is associated with several business (eg a retail park) use your best judgement. Some have signs indicating you should only park there for the associated business. But if you can park there and then "go around the corner", then they can be Public.
    • If the car park is for public use with restrictions on it (eg customers/visitors only), it should be Restricted.
    • Private is for car parks where only a specified group can use it (eg staff parking, delivery vehicles). In other words, only drivers with specific permission can park there.
  • The navigation point should be correctly set at the entrance to the car park.
    This should be on the start of the first segment of the car park - ie NOT on the road outside. In this way, Waze will direct you to the car park, including any last turn into the entrance. Then it will announce you have arrived, shut up & let you find somewhere to park.
  • The car park should have a meaningful name and must include the text that indicates it is a car park: e.g. " Westgate Car Park", "Oxford Park & Ride".
    This is because car parks will show up in the client search along with other places. If they are named for a venue or location, without "car park", users will not know which result is the venue and which is the car park.
  • Leave the "operator" field blank.
    The "operator" field is unclear. Waze asked for lists of operators, but there are so many that such a list could never be comprehensive - and an nearly comprehensive list would be too long to find anything in. Imported car parks appear to show an operator name in the app when searching for parking near a destination, but right now the dropdown is empty, so we CAN'T fill it in.
  • "Cost" should be set to "free" for free car parks. For all paid car parks, leave it blank.
    The cost field is a real problem. With only a choice of low/moderate/expensive, there's no way to determine an objective value and a subjective judgement can only be achieved with extensive comparison with all local variations. At this time, our advice is to leave this field blank for all paid car parks.
  • All the other fields are fairly obvious and should be filled out wherever possible - especially linking to Google places and street names.
  • Whilst mapping/updating a car park, please take the time to review and create/update any associated places (eg the business to which a car park belongs).
  • If you encounter any car park edited by a user whose name begins with ign_, please review it carefully.
    IGN editors are low-paid editors working for Waze. Their editing quality is generally appalling, but Waze draft them in wherever they think there is a backlog of work. Any place edited by IGN is likely to have serious mistakes - and they've certainly been messing with car parks in the UK. :x
Imported places
  • Any imported private car parks that haven't already been deleted can now be dealt with.
  • Some imported points are nothing more than on-street parking with a Pay & Display meter. These should be deleted and the MP marked "not identified".
  • If the car park should be mapped and the point is not a duplicate of an existing car park, convert it to an area and map it as above. Close the MP as "solved".
  • If the imported point duplicates an existing Waze place, make sure any useful information is copied to the existing Waze place. Then delete the import and close the MP as "solved".
  • If you notice any issues with the imported car parks, please submit them to Waze via this form.
The imported car park places come from an external supplier. They were all imported as points, probably due to the nature of the available import data, and have consequently all generated Map Problems. This is probably a good thing, as it draws our attention to something that needs doing. There appears to have been no effort to match imported car parks to existing Waze places, so there are many duplicates. The location of the points seems to be mostly at car park entrances, which will help with determining that location.
=========================================

Waze have told us that, "in a few weeks", they will set the Public/Restricted/Private property to Public for any car park where it has not been set. We are asking for the generation of Map Problems for all car parks where the value is not set - this will help us make sure this important value is set correctly.

There may be further changes to these guidelines as the Parking Project progresses, but we are not expecting any more changes soon. Some of the likely changes in the future are:
  • Multiple entry points.
  • Linking of car parks to existing Waze places.
  • There was briefly an option to enter actual costs. We don't know if that will return, or if it will be flexible enough to be used sensibly.
iainhouse
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Answers: 1
Answers: 1

POSTER_ID:9133856

Send a message
Last edited by Timbones on Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: These guidelines are superseded by the Wazeopedia page on Car Parks
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... c4/AGC.pnghttps://sign.waze.tools/s2000.pnghttps://sign.waze.tools/c6.png
My scripts: WME FixUI WME Presets :ugeek:
I want to go to a commune in Vermont and deal with no unit of time shorter than a season

Post by CTCNetwork
Hi,

I find it even more amusing now as, having accepted the dumb reality of Waze's actions I have gone around and added back a few car parks local to me.
Well, I thought I had....

Only to find they are deleted not long after!!!

I mean, WTF do they want us to do??!!

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork
Send a message

Post by ditchi56
At least the speed limit reports mostly serve a useful purpose. Even the users who are currently reporting transient speed limits will eventually learn that Waze doesn't cater for variable and temporary limits if we keep sending them polite helpful replies.

Whereas re-created car park points and MP's are just an unmitigated pain in the arse. I've taken to closing the recreated ones "not identified" rather than "solved", in the hope that Waze will eventually stop adding them. ("Solved" implies that a useful map enhancement has resulted, which will only encourage them).
ditchi56
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 5
Send a message

Post by ditchi56
Definitely reappearing when a point has been deleted. Definitely reappearing when there is now an area car park. Not sure whether it makes a difference whether the area is original (so the point has been deleted) or whether the area results from point conversion.

Ian
ditchi56
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by ditchi56
Twister-UK wrote:
iainhouse wrote:Some imported points are nothing more than on-street parking with a Pay & Display meter. These should be deleted and the MP marked "not identified".
Does "on-street" extent to car parks such as the one here, where the bays themselves are NOT on-street, but where they're all directly accessible from the adjacent road?
I think the first question is, what are were trying to do?

Are we trying to map car parks? In which case I think we should not map this particular example. I see car parks being off-road areas.

Or are are we trying to map all places where people can park? in which case I think we should map not just this example, but also any line of marked parking places on the drivable surface of the road. Which we certainly haven't been doing so far.

I don't claim to know the answer, merely posing the question.
ditchi56
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by ditchi56
iainhouse wrote:In terms of how Waze works, I'm pretty sure this will fail to work properly if it is mapped as a car park. The separation isn't sufficient for a phone to determine you have entered the "car park" and there will be no PLR segment for you to drive onto, or be given directions onto.
This is the key point which convinces me that parking on or alongside roads should not be mapped.
ditchi56
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by ditchi56
I routinely zap whatever is in the House Number field for a car park. Why would a public car park want a house number? A private car park belonging to just one property might - but then we should delete the whole car park.
ditchi56
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by ditchi56
People have been getting really pissed off when car parks they added/fixed have been deleted. The last thing we need to do is get them deleted again.

My solution when I feel my blood pressure rise is to turn off the MP's map layer. Then all the problems go away. :) Unfortunately this does mean missing some useful MP's too.
ditchi56
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by ditchi56
There's a bug somewhere, nothing directly to do with the car parking project, whereby newly added places only appear only intermittently in the editor for some time. Best to do it once and then leave it, come back and check a week later.
ditchi56
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by dkvinyls
I've had them reappear after conversion to an area but on further analysis not all were named to reflect a parking area in the title. Most were just named after the closest street as I hadn't updated the name. Not sure if the script is clever enough to look at the name though?
dkvinyls
Send a message